Is there such a device?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a picture of my living room last night using "GPS Essentials" from the Android Market. This morning I opened the picture, hit menu, then hit show on map, google maps opens in a half screen view the other half of the screen shows the info. Mine is set to show accuracy (9'), distance to target (13.4 miles), number of satellites (8/8), and ETA.

You can customize the info to include:
Accuracy
Altitude
Altitude made good
Altitude to go
Average speed
Battery temp
Battery voltage
Battery level
Bearing to
Bearing from
Climb
Course to
Course from
Date
Declination
Distance
Distance covered
Distance to
ETA
Latitude
Longitude
Max altitude
Max speed
Minimum altitude
Minimum speed
Moon phase
Moon rise
Moon set
Number of satellites
Pace
Position
Speed
Stop Watch #1 and #2
Sunrise and sunset
Target
Target altitude, name, and slope
Tracking angle and speed
Trip #1 and #2
True speed
TTG
Turn

devilmutt said:
I took a picture of my living room last night using "GPS Essentials" from the Android Market. This morning I opened the picture, hit menu, then hit show on map, google maps opens in a half screen view the other half of the screen shows the info. Mine is set to show accuracy (9'), distance to target (13.4 miles), number of satellites (8/8), and ETA.

You can customize the info to include:
Accuracy
Altitude
Altitude made good
Altitude to go
Average speed
Battery temp
Battery voltage
Battery level
Bearing to
Bearing from
Climb
Course to
Course from
Date
Declination
Distance
Distance covered
Distance to
ETA
Latitude
Longitude
Max altitude
Max speed
Minimum altitude
Minimum speed
Moon phase
Moon rise
Moon set
Number of satellites
Pace
Position
Speed
Stop Watch #1 and #2
Sunrise and sunset
Target
Target altitude, name, and slope
Tracking angle and speed
Trip #1 and #2
True speed
TTG
Turn

This is kind of backwards from what I want to do. I'm wanting to be able to go to a specific point by the gps then call up the picture of structure or cover that I had taken when the water was low and cover was visible.

Will essentials let you view your points on a map, be able to go to them and then open the picture associated with that point?

I can open the program, touch the map icon and bring up google maps. The waypoint is shown on the map with a camera icon, when I touch that icon a menu comes up that gives the following options: use as target, edit details, move, delete, show image. When I touch "show image" the picture I took of my living room shows on the screen.

If I touch use as target it will take me to the waypoint "as the crow flies", not turn by turn, so I would think this would be perfect for finding waypoints on a body of water. I'm going to play with it a bit the next time I'm on the water.

"Edit details" gives the GPS coordinates.

devilmutt said:
I can open the program, touch the map icon and bring up google maps. The waypoint is shown on the map with a camera icon, when I touch that icon a menu comes up that gives the following options: use as target, edit details, move, delete, show image. When I touch "show image" the picture I took of my living room shows on the screen.

If I touch use as target it will take me to the waypoint "as the crow flies", not turn by turn, so I would think this would be perfect for finding waypoints on a body of water. I'm going to play with it a bit the next time I'm on the water.

"Edit details" gives the GPS coordinates.

Great, that sounds like what I want to do. Now I'm going to have to get an android phone or maybe one of the small tablets. Bigger screen that way. (or maybe not, just looked at some prices of the tablet)

Thanks!

79Stroker said:
what about a gps unit that has a camera built into

Do they make those? I don't know I'll have to look around.

Edit:
I found a few cameras that have built in gps but it seems to be to "geo tag" the picture so when you are looking at your pictures you can find where they were taken or show other people on a map.

I'd like to be able to be on a lake and look at my gps location and see what pictures I have taken close to me.
So far it looks like the "gps essentials" is in the lead but if I can find a separate device without having to upgrade my phone plan to data and buy a new phone it would be more cost effective in the long run I'm betting.

I am using the iPhone and have had good success with the built in picture geo tagging. I would assume that the Droid works the same. Basically, if you enable GPS tagging for your pictures, then it adds your current location to the metadata of the picture. Then you can use different software to view that info. On the iPhone, when I go to my pictures, I have a tab called Places. When I click there it shows pins on the map and If I zoom in to a specific location, it will show more pins that I can click on and see the picture from that spot.

I also have an app similar to the FishNotes app called Fishing Calendar by SIS Software in the iPhone. It's got a prime fishing times calendar and lets you add pictures of fish caught in specific places with info about the fish and it tags them on the map. You could do the same thing but just take pics of locations instead of fish.

Plus as mentioned, lots of the newer cameras come with GPS/Geo Tagging features built in.

super_dork said:
I am using the iPhone and have had good success with the built in picture geo tagging. I would assume that the Droid works the same. Basically, if you enable GPS tagging for your pictures, then it adds your current location to the metadata of the picture. Then you can use different software to view that info. On the iPhone, when I go to my pictures, I have a tab called Places. When I click there it shows pins on the map and If I zoom in to a specific location, it will show more pins that I can click on and see the picture from that spot.

I also have an app similar to the FishNotes app called Fishing Calendar by SIS Software in the iPhone. It's got a prime fishing times calendar and lets you add pictures of fish caught in specific places with info about the fish and it tags them on the map. You could do the same thing but just take pics of locations instead of fish.

Plus as mentioned, lots of the newer cameras come with GPS/Geo Tagging features built in.

Does any of that software allow you to see your current location in relation to where your geo tagged pictures are?

You know that's a good question. I remembered doing that before but I tried now and it only lets you see the points on the map and the associated pictures, but not your current location. There's another free app that I used for that. It's called Exif Wizard (the data stored in the picture is called Exif data). When you select a picture, you can open it in the map then see your current location and the location of the picture at the same time. Still doesn't show you all the pics locations on the map at the same time to let you choose which one you are closest to.

fender66 said:
Cool idea. Let us know if you come up with something that works.

Right now, I'm using a program called "aging memory".

I try to remember and usually forget. :shock:.....but I do have waypoints that work well.

Interesting. I'm using something similar that was developed by Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's called Partial Recall.

Received this email today from the "GPS ESSENTIALS" web site.

"If you take a picture in GPS Essentials, the app will create a waypoint at your current location and associate the picture with this waypoint. You can then open the picture from the waypoint (Select "Show Image" from a specific waypoint) and open the waypoint from the picture (Select "Show on Map" from the picture viewer). "

parkerdog said:
Received this email today from the "GPS ESSENTIALS" web site.

"If you take a picture in GPS Essentials, the app will create a waypoint at your current location and associate the picture with this waypoint. You can then open the picture from the waypoint (Select "Show Image" from a specific waypoint) and open the waypoint from the picture (Select "Show on Map" from the picture viewer). "
Was it signed "Rube Goldberg" ??? :wink:

Some really neat features with those fancy phones. I'm just glad mine dials out!

Cool ideas though, makes me want to hit the rivers!

C