Jims Crock pot chili

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
So easy, so simple. Tastes awesome. Not too hot, but not wimpy either.

Ingredients
3 pounds of meat (stew beef, sausage, hamburg)
You can use 1 pound of each if you wanted.
If using sausage or burger brown it first in a skillet and drain the fat.
2 medium onions coarsely chopped
2 ribs of celery coarsely chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 green pepper coarsely chopped
1 can (6 ounces) Tomato Paste
3 cans (15 ounce) red Kidney beans drained
2 cans (15 ounce) crushed tomatoes
3 Tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste (optional)
1 small can of mushroom pieces drained (optional)

Throw it all in a crock pot and leave it alone. Cook for 10-12 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high. Do not stir for at least 8 hours (low) and 4 hours on high (guessing here because I always cook on low). Stir softly not to smash the beans.

First time I made it I used just stew beef. It came out awesome. Second time I made it I used a 1.5 pound London broil steak cut into cubes and 1.5 pounds of hot Italian sausage with the casings removed and browned in a skillet then drained in a colander. The sausage made it even tastier, but the beef was a little tough. For sure use stew style beef.

Everyone who has tried it so far liked it allot.

Anyone have any variants?

That is very similar to my recipe only I use one can of chili hot beans (undrained) in place of one of your kidney beans, a little brown sugar, some dry mustard, & browned bacon. I've never used celery.

Some people say use a chocolate bar and I have tried adding a pinch of cinammon that was recommended by a gourmet chef friend. Both added a taste that everyone liked but nobody could put their finger on. :mrgreen:

It's just about time for me to cook up a large batch.

Sounds really good, I have been meaning to try making my chili with stew beef. I like using venison when I have it. Try adding a small can of baked beans and corn to the chili. The corn is just preference, but the baked beans adds so much to it.

OK...now I am hungry for chili :evil:

jkbirocz said:
Sounds really good, I have been meaning to try making my chili with stew beef. I like using venison when I have it. Try adding a small can of baked beans and corn to the chili. The corn is just preference, but the baked beans adds so much to it.

OK...now I am hungry for chili :evil:

I have heard to use 1 can of baked beans in place of the 3 red beans. I will try this too.

Winter is almost here, that means chili at least once a month if not more.

Sounds good! 8)

burger, brown it first in a skillet and drain the fat.

Another method to get rid of the fat in hamburger meat, before you brown it, is to break-up the meat in a pot of water and boil it for awhile, then drain it in a collander. My wife has been doing this for years, and it works well! :wink:

Waterwings said:
Sounds good! 8)

burger, brown it first in a skillet and drain the fat.

Another method to get rid of the fat in hamburger meat, before you brown it, is to break-up the meat in a pot of water and boil it for awhile, then drain it in a collander. My wife has been doing this for years, and it works well! :wink:

Never even thought of that. :beer:

Jim said:
I have heard the chocolate thing too....Might try it next time.

I thought you were going to chime in to use Venison!

I usually do but I skipped it since a lot of people don't have it available. I usually use two pounds of ground beef and a pound to pound and a half of venison. I cube it up and brown it in the bacon grease after cooking the bacon. :wink:

Also try substituting some of your ground beef with an equal amount of pork sausage. That's pretty good as well.

I would love to share my wifes recipe for chili but she doesn't write any of her recipes down. All by taste. She doesn't put beans in hers. I used to like it with beans, but since I've had hers, I'll stick to traditional Texas no bean chilli. Never seen celery in chili either, must be a New England thing?

I was just telling my wife on Monday night that it is about time for the first batch of chili for the season. =P~

scrapple.JPG