L1436 Full Restoration...BEGIN!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catalyst

Reaction score
HERE WE GO!!! Just went CL crazy and bought an L1436 yesterday & 14' trailer today! Total investment for boat & trailer: $395. My wife and I decided to buy one after seeing my Grandpa's 12' V-bottom. I really liked the idea of a flat bottom boat, and my wife went for it hook, line & sinker :wink: So the planning begins!
First off, I need to know what I can do...I've already looked at about 50 different threads for L1436 restorations on this site and I'm SCREAMIN' with ideas!
(1) How does stability tend to be affected with a deck that spans from the bow to the first bench? I've seen decks at both the highest possible height, as well as bench-height...
(2) Creating a deck is one thing...but adding a swivel "throne" to it is another...how high is too high regarding stability?
(3) Our main usage will be for calm, inland lakes here in MI. I have no desire of sailing the tempestuous seas of Lake MI! Any objections to removing the safety foam within the benches for storage purposes? I really don't know HOW we could capsize...but an upside-down floater is better than the alternative...
(4) What's going to be my best solution for small holes in the bow? I have been made aware of an auto epoxy that will adhere aluminum patches well, or possibly "Lab Metal"...a metal repair putty? Need your wisdom here!
(5) LASTLY (for now!) I'm not entirely sure what my overall weight goal is here...there's no markings on the boat & I've seen fellas claiming weight capacities between 550-750 for L1436's...anyone have a real idea as to what it may be?!
I'm looking forward to being a fellow tin-man! Can't wait to see the collaboration that takes place :) :D :LOL2:

Just got it home!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 4.58.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 4.58.51 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 745
Little banged up...but an easy fix

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 5.03.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 5.03.07 PM.png
    500.2 KB · Views: 744
Congrats on the boat! Sketch up some ideas that you have and post for comments... Personally, I wouldnt mess with the foam too much, and anything aid take out for storage id replace elsewhere (someone on here used pool noodles very effectively). Capsizing? Maybe not as much as getting swamped...doesnt take much for that... If youre talking safety keep it or replace, IMO. BUT,many have removed all foam and have had no issues with sinking............well, not yet :-s

Here's a diagram-it' a pretty basic setup...I've seen it on a lot of L1436's. I'm hoping that the casting deck that extends from the bow to the middle bench will also allow my wife to do some tanning (extending my fishing time!). Storage is key for our small boat, so I'm hoping to include a few different compartments beneath the raised casting deck (dry storage, PFDs, livewell?!)
One thing I'm curious about it how to install removable boat seats. Anyone know a mount that would lie flush & allow you to remove the seat & post...kind of like a headrest from the seat in a car? (This would allow for two people to sit side by side on a bench/allow for the casting deck to be used as a tanning bed... :wink: )
Also regarding the boat seats...any advice as to the height/position? I have seen the rear seat offset to allow for easier steering, and I have seen people dare to include a raised seat on an already tall casting deck...would this cause the boat's center of gravity to be too high?
I'd appreciate any input! I'm excited to get this thing going so we can make the most of it this Summer :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 10.17.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 10.17.33 PM.png
    426.8 KB · Views: 696