Let's have some fun---help me chose

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the engine is by far the most expensive and important part of my boats, I'd vote for the newest and best-condition engine. To me, the differences in the hulls seem small, but I may be wrong.

That is a point that I have been considering. A 1999 Yammie should surely be a better choice than a 1972 Johnson. Still dang near 20 years old though, and a quick search indicates they are not impervious to issues as well.

Starcraft and Sea Nymph are comparable quality but the Sea Nymph hull shape and high ransom are a plus (harder to find used long shaft small outboards here).

The 6 hp is not adequate for those boats. There is just too much water to displace on those hulls.

Have had 6, 7.5, 9.8, 18, 20, 25, and 30 hp outboards on my Starcraft 14' (which is similar, or the same as the one pictured). The 9.8 is ok with one person but it was a nearly new one (max speed is less than 15 mph). A 9.5 will be tedious with more than one person or a load in the boat. Understand you're not concerned about top end, but you will only get on plane with a minimum load and less than two adults. Post 1984 outboards for Johnson would be a different story as the hp is rated at the prop, as opposed to the crank

IMHO, pre-1984 15-25 hp is ideal for those boats. I like the 25, as it works good in all ranges and will get the boat going 25-30 MPH when needed.

That powerhead down low into the lower cowl design of Johnson 9.5 is a pain to work on.

An good trailer won't distract from the pleasure of an outing, others will.

Good Luck

Thanks renn, good info.
As my original post indicates, I will be on 10hp max water.
I have read about the older Johnson/Evinrude low slung profile and how a lot is stuffed in a small area.
My servicing dealer is very handy and familiar with these and I am willing to pay for the service(well, within reason, of course)

Just ran across a 14' Smoker with a 9.9 merc an hour closer, but don't think it has the proper paper work for my state.

Edit. Has an 82 Mariner, which I would not be interested in. Any Mariners should be 86 or later from what I have read.

Have you done a separate search for just a 9.9 motor instead in case you can find a great deal on a motor? I just saw this in my area.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/d/yamaha-99-outboard-motor/6462364395.html

Then you can bargain for a boat/trailer since you wouldn't really need the motor.

As of matter of fact, I have done that. I am also searching hulls and trailers with the option of a separate motor. From what i have found, most units include motor and usually buying all together, the price might be a little better. Most units with a motor also include trolling motor, battery , and other accessories.

Finally made it to look at the Sea Nymph. A bit rougher than what I had imagined. Had a bad gut feeling on the drive out. Didn't change as I was looking at it. Didn't cherish a 4 hour pull back home to boot. Maybe, if it were a short drive, I may have pulled the string. I dunno. Anyway, semi back to square one.
Wasn't a waste. Had a nice visit with brother and S-I-L.

You have my sympathy. I've done that, too.

One time I had to meet the potential seller in San Antonio (3 1/2 hours away one way) at 7 in the morning. Drove much of the night. The only smart thing was...I brought an audio tape of ..Silence of the Lambs.. along.

Given the story matter, I had no trouble staying awake!!!!!

Good luck.

p.s. I didn't buy that boat, either.

Looks like I will end up with this one. Finally got with seller and he dropped it another $200 to encourage me to make the drive. Can't really pass it up for 800 bucks and a tank of gas. Will post before and afters once I get it. Already has a removable front casting deck, Will add new floors and maybe new carpet all around and prolly inside paint. Won't know until I get it cleaned.

richg99 said:
$800.00 with an outboard; trolling motor; battery; trailer!
STEAL STEAL STEAL!
Ha ha Hope it works out.

Net, tank, anchor, life jackets, battery box, new winch, extra spare tires.

Naw, got ripped off. :wink: Battery is weak and will probably have to replace.
Going to try to bring it back to life, though, before I replace. Seller dropped price another $200 so I would stop looking and make the long drive. Patience hopefully pays off.

Well, made the drive and ended up with the Mirrocraft. Going to need some TLC, but solid, trailer will get a light sanding and a coat of paint. Best thing, got it for $800. I can put some work and $$ in it and not be hurt.
Will post some before pics on a new thread and add as I work on it.
aK3xv5o.jpg

wt0d0Oc.jpg

Latest posts