Local PA Creek 8/13/08 1st Cast Jinx

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Inspired by BassAddicts recent creek outings I decided to hit the local creek about a mile from my house last evening. I was tired, crabby and beat up from taking my nephew to visit colleges (he is a HS senior this year and cannot decide)

I hit the creek (pronounced Crick by some) for smallmouth action. i have done really well there in past years including a few that top out at around 19". This year the creek has not been kind to me. I seem to pick the worst days; the water is either high and muddy or there are 20 other "anglers" throwing power bait at the dead trout.

Last night was much better, on my 1st cast I tossed one of my tubes into a fishy looking hole and was rewarded with a mighty tug on my line - at that point my reel jammed up (possibly from me falling in to the river the day before???) but I managed to land a nice fat LM bass about 12"

Next cast and another mighty tug and this time my line is wrapped all around the reel and rod - lost that fish. Proceed to catch about 6 smallies and 4 LM bass all between 12 -14" loads of fun in the small water. I beat that spot up for a little while longer and then moved to my next spot.

I walked down stream about 100 yards and set up in an area where I had landed nice smallies in the past. Flipped out the tube under a tree touching the water and was rewarded with a solid hit. Swing and a miss! I worked the lure through a nearby area letting the spot rest a minute and landed a few more smallies. Directed my attention back to the tree and again felt a nice fish pick up the bait - the fish ran me into some debris and the leader parted on my hook set becuase it was wrapped in the rocks - but I knew that big bass was still there!

As I was re-tying a new leader I hear a big splash up stream and see a guy toss a stick into the water and watch (in disbelief) as his black Labrador launched into the water and chased the stick. Great, well not that bad becuase it was pretty far up stream. however, I guess teh man decided that it was a good idea to continue to throw sticks into the water so the dog just waded / swam downstream right in front of me. I yelled across the stream to the man that he should get the dog out of the water there as there was lots of hooks and tangled line in this stream. he said "thanks" and tossed another stick in front of the dog so the poor dog kept splashing through the creek.

What an idiot! I hope that the dog escaped the creek uninjured and the owner slipped and broke his leg. I left in disgust

100_0728.jpg

nice report and fish you get people like that every where you go it seems wether it is on bank or boat .next time grab a stick and throw it the other direction :lol:

O can't understand some people sometimes...
Hope you had fun before they came ...nice catching

Nice catchin' in the crick! :) . I've had the "dog chasing stuff tossed by owner" happen to me at least 3 times, and it pisses me off to no end. People have no respect for what others are doing and will intrude to satisfy their needs, no matter who if affects. When "mature" :roll: adults do it I figure it's an over-flow from the "Me" generation. There's probably two reasons they do that stuff: (1) they know they're in the wrong, and just don't care, or (2) they're blatantly stupid and don't realize they're in the wrong.

I was really more concerned for the dog - there is all kinds of fishing crap in that creek - every time I wade I come across line in the water, usually with six splits shots, a swivel and at least one hook at the other end. woudl hate to see the dog get hurt

Captain Ahab said:
I was really more concerned for the dog - there is all kinds of fishing crap in that creek - every time I wade I come across line in the water, usually with six splits shots, a swivel and at least one hook at the other end. woudl hate to see the dog get hurt

That's for sure!

I try not to let others on the water get to me, but that wouldnt take long to get me up set. I dont know about the creek you fish, but the places I fish hooks are the least of the hazards, id say broken glass is number one. Good to hear you managed to keep catchin em despite the inconvenience.

I dont know about the creek you fish, but the places I fish hooks are the least of the hazards, id say broken glass is number one. Good to hear you managed to keep catchin em despite the inconvenience.
amen to that. People ar just ignorant these days. I take a garbage bag with me everytime I go fishing and I usually fill it up. People are strong enough to carry it to the water but I get that fishing just tires them out to much to carry it back out.