Long winded rant...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2000 Taco,v6,Prerunner.I have never had anything major go wrong with it.Love it.Plan on keeping until either it or me stops functioning.My money is on me.
DanD

It's getting to the point where you can only try to buy the better of the not so good. as stated in a prior post, I've had pretty good luck with 3 toyotas, and own the fourth. the ("09") tacoma doesn't have lockouts,has a switch for 4-wd, instead of a lever,and has a composite bed,instead of steel. as long as the main components hold up as long as the others did I'll be satisfied with it.

I had a conversation about my Toyota issue two days ago with my GF's brother who bought a new Sequoia two years ago. The trim work on the door fell apart so the dealer where he bought it replaced it under warranty. In the process, they broke something else. In the last year, his rear window motor failed twice. The first time under warranty and the second time he had to complain to have them replace it again under warranty.

I didn't ask him where his Toyota was assembled.

The way things are going, I may just look for another pre smog Blazer! That thing ran like a tank!

BTW, my GF's 4Runner has the V6 and is approaching 100,000 miles. So far two batteries, front disc brake rotor/pads, and a set of tires. Her 4Runner was made overseas.

BOB350RX said:
got an 04 gmc sierra here and cant wait to get rid of it, nothing but problems and i have owned nothing but gm here, might try a switch next time, bottom line is they are all junk made the cheapest possible and sold for the maximum, we as the consumer pay for it over and over again :(

Same here. Nothing but GM, and I'm done with them. From electrical problems, to weak wheel bearings and other front end parts, GM KNOWS they have certain durability issues, but since they generally make it through warranty, they don't care.

Next vehicle will be another Ford.

my first ford was a 94 f150 4x4. what a p.o.s.. had it back to the dealer 3 times in 6 months.had a body squeak nobody could find ,trans problems, front diff..traded it in for a gmc.really good truck,but had to lift it to put on mudders.traded that in on an 03 f150 fx4 lariat,fully loaded with the tow package.love this truck. besides the usual maintenance,all ive had to replace so far were some front bushings.once in a while you get a lemon if you buy new,no matter what make it is. full size domestic is the way to go.

Owned an '05 Tacoma, which I wrecked when I hydroplaned off the road in a thunderstorm. Traded what was left in on an '07 Tacoma, and have no complaints. I did promptly take off the stock Dunlop tires and put better tires on. My wife has 180,000 miles on her '05 Highlander, and she's been happy with it. We bought that after her Mazda burned up its' transmission eight weeks out of warranty. I used to be strictly a Chevy Man, and my first car was a hand-me-down '76 Camaro. I wish I still had that car! What turned me away from GM was my '89 S-10, which lost paint every time it rained. There was some problem with the Sunlight reacting with the primer and making the paint peel off. Chevy painted the truck again for free, but that turned me off of domestic vehicles. Lots of good information, mods, tricks, etc. on Toyotas at www.toyotanation.com. The members over there are just as cool as Tinboats.net, too.

Took my truck in to a transmission shop today. Why a transmission shop you may ask? Well, because the owner is a real gearhead who builds and works on all kinds of old vehicles and builds them up from the ground up for customers. He also works on large off shore racing boats!

He replaced the two missing bolts on the motor mount. He said that all he needed to do was jack the engine up a little and the two bolts slipped right in. When it came time to pay him, he just shrugged and said $20 should cover it! I tipped him a few more bucks and later this week will bring in a couple dozen donuts for his crew! Hard to find people like this anymore.

Yes, overall, the truck does run well, but lackluster service only means Toyota just lost another future customer.

LonLB said:
BOB350RX said:
got an 04 gmc sierra here and cant wait to get rid of it, nothing but problems and i have owned nothing but gm here, might try a switch next time, bottom line is they are all junk made the cheapest possible and sold for the maximum, we as the consumer pay for it over and over again :(

Same here. Nothing but GM, and I'm done with them. From electrical problems, to weak wheel bearings and other front end parts, GM KNOWS they have certain durability issues, but since they generally make it through warranty, they don't care.

Next vehicle will be another Ford.

RENTED A 2011 TAURUS LIMITED TO DRIVE ON OUR HONEYMOON TO TENNESSEE, I WOULD TRADE BOTH MY SIERRA AND HER IMPALA FOR THAT CAR, FAST AS HELL AND GOOD ON GAS, I JUST CANT BE WITHOUT A TRUCK, BUT I THINK FORD IS MAKING THE BEST "DOMESTIC" VEHICLE OUT THERE, AND I HAVE BEEN GM MY WHOLE LIFE

BOB350RX said:

I read the '03 and '04 Silverado/Sierras are the worst for quality in decades. We have an '03 Silverado. 70K miles and the wheel bearings go out? Both sides? Dash gauge cluster failed but they extended the Warranty so that was covered 2 years ago, we are having a new gauge cluster installed next week. GM is only paying half of the $550.00 after we have to pay the $95.00 for a diagnostic to tell us, yes, the digital odometer isn't working... Hello... It's stuck at 16 miles. Lots of other nickle and dime crap, but I hear the 2011 and 2012's are good quality... so far. I miss my '02 Trailblazer adn am looking forward to trading in my '03 Explorer Sport on a new Silverado/Sierra. Maybe next year. I hope.

My family has always been a Chevy family...

My mom is about to buy a new Ford Fusion, my Sis and Bro in-law just bought a new Taurus.

My dad drives a '04 GMC Sierra. 58k Miles and has not had a single problem with it.

I had an '88 S-10. Sold it with 180k miles and the guy I sold it to 5 years ago is still driving it.

My mom had a Durango that the transmission went out at 30k miles...warranty replaced it...went out again at 75k miles.

A guy I work with drives a '99 Honda Civic. He had all sorts or problems with his throughout the years he has driven it.
I drive a '99 Civic that has 185k miles on it now. I bought it 5 years ago with 60k miles on it. Only problem I have had so far was the distributor cap went bad...$20 fix.

Every brand or make of car is going to have a lemon every once in a while. If you buy a used car, unless you buy it from someone you know and trust, you have no idea how the vehicle was cared for.