look what I am getting - for free!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My partner's father's cousin lives in Co and is giving me this sweet little aluminum runabout. I don't know the brand but it is about 11' long. The interior is shot and so it the bimini top, but the hull looks fine from what I can see. The trailer looks good except for the tires and, I assume, the bearings. The motor is a Johnson 18 hp model FD-18F. I don't know a thing about the motor, whether it runs or not and what it might take to fix it up. It will be a good start to a project but what kind? I could try to restore it just to ride around in or change it to something else. You out there all have lots of ideas, what kind of project could this be?

Sonycameraphotos13110007Large.jpg

Sonycameraphotos13110006Large.jpg

Sonycameraphotos13110010Large.jpg

This will find its way to Wichita where my partner's brother lives and I will pick it up in the spring. I am excited to start another project!

Wow thats a cool boat! Those 18's are strong motors but I would get a newer 25-40hp on there depending on the rating. You are going to need alot of power because most of the weight will be up in the front. Just because I love racing little aluminums I would say that could be a great sleeper boat. Rig a 75 Johnson stinger, move the seats to middle and loose the windshield and you will be screaming :shock: .

It instantly reminded me of the boat they had in the movie "On Golden Pond". Thats a sweet little boat man! Id keep the windshield and start trolling for something!

I got some more info. The boat is a Sportsman made in Hastings, NE. It is 13' long and is riveted aluminum. It's rated for #750 and a 45 hp motor. I am told that there are no dents, dings or corrosion. The motor has good compression but I assume some work will be needed. It's electric start and choke. The trailer is a tilt-type and will need about $200 in tires, light kit and hitch. It's been sitting in the sun so all the upholstery and top will have to be replaced. It's pretty sweet. Anyone know where I might find a new windshield?

Restore it to new condition. Loose the motor that's on there, and put a '56 - '58 Johnson big twin 35 hp on there (the candy apple and cream colored engine).

Replace all the interior wood trim with teak. Heck, even go for the wooden split bench seats. New coat of paint.

Latest posts