low hp on a heavy v bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ccm said:
It's a great little motor. I do think the gear cases ( lower units ) are a little weak. I had to get mine rebuilt after finding the one solid laydown in a known running lane during low water. :evil: This is a rubber core prop & it didn't even put a scratch on it but I was going close to half throttle when I hit it. The 4, 5, & 6 hp models a pretty much the same motor with only the carb being the difference. I plan on upgrading when my motor goes out of warranty. The thing that I really like about it is how quiet it runs along with the super low idle. If you want a motor that can troll all day long & not have to choke on 2 stroke fumes there's really nothing of better value and price than these little Tohatsu's. Mine is a 2011 model which I bought new in January of 2013 for $650 tax included & I also got a full warranty with it. I have my motor on a 14ft v hull Sea King built by Arkansas Traveler. Not a speed demon by any means but it gets me where I need to go reliably.

CCM
thanks. that sounds perfect for what I need.
I did a little research on the internet trying to determine how many pounds of thrust per hp on a small engine. there's not really a clear answer, but a conservative guesstimate for a 6hp outboard seems to be around 150lb of thrust. that would work well, considering my 36lb trolling motor moves the boat at a good pace, even in strong wind/current

Latest posts