Make my boat more fishable? Tips and Tricks Appreciated

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you considered a plastic crate? just like what the kayak guys use, only bigger. ugly but it works good for convenient storage. just toss everything in there. it would ruin the beauty of a nicely carpeted deck, but it works.

also, you might want to try a boga grip instead of a bulky landing net. it's tricky at first, but it does the job of controling your catch once you get the hang of it.

i hate to sound stupid, just trying to think outside the box.

J.P. said:
have you considered a plastic crate? just like what the kayak guys use, only bigger. ugly but it works good for convenient storage. just toss everything in there.
doesn't sound stupid to me! 2 big milk crates are what I use to hold gear in my 1432. it works, and was free.

The fly fishing suggestion isn't too far off in that we are notorious for stuffing all our crap into our pockets. A fishing vest would hold a lot of your smaller junk that could otherwise fly away at speed.
As for a net, I'm about ready to get rid of mine. Nets and cameras equal less fish for me. But the boga grip and a pair of puncture-proof gloves for pike works well.
Love your boat BTW.

That's a nice rig. But I'm amazed how small a boat can get when you get all your gear in it and a fat best friend in the back. I have a 17' Bass Tracker and it can only accommodate 2 fishermen max. And it gets smaller when the fish are hitting!

Bass Pro and a lot of folks make a tool caddy that I use to store my pliers, firewire scissors, 1/2 dozen lures and a variety of sinkers and packs of hooks. It also has a place to hold a beer or soda can. Mine is about 18 inches long and maybe 3 inches deep. I keep it along the gunwale on the starboard side deck. It stay stationary even in rough water. I used to have a folding net that worked great. Kept it in a sleeve next to the console and it would pop open when I took it out. Now I keep a full size (non folder) under the steering wheel console (when I'm fishing) so the net is out of the way from hooks. I use a lot of small plastic storage boxes and roll up holders for plastics. Over the years I've cut down on what I keep on the deck. I also stopped taking "all" my gear on each trip. That means more pre-trip planning but I love doing pre-trip plans anyway. Don't think you can ever stop tweaking. I check the boating catalogues all the time for new ideas.

Good fishing.

wasilvers said:
So I don't have a cupholder - boo hoo.

WAS - First off, AWESOME WORK on the conversion! I've been MIA from TB for a few months (mostly just too busy starting a new business to troll around having fun and not enough time to address my own boat issues...but the desire to be out on the water, fishin' with buddies has brought be back home).

As far as cupholders go, have you considered a cooler that has built-in cupholders in the lid? I know that Coleman makes a few different ones, and my giant white coffin cooler from Igloo has them too. A new cooler may cost you upwards of $50-60 bucks (for a real nice one), but you'd get the holders you want and possibly a cooler that stays, well, 'cooler' longer.

Just a thought.

Update - I did some moving of batteries and the cooler on Saturday. I move the front passenger side battery to the driver side. Then moved the rear battery from the driver side to the middle rear and the cooler moved behind the driver. The front compartments were left open to the bow so I could fit rods, nets, etc if I needed it. So I took some of that sheeting foam I had handy and formed a box on the passenger side of the livewell. This is now my tackle box. All my boxes are labeled (topwater, frogs, crappie, crankbaits, etc.) and I can grab just the one I want and use it. It fits all my individual tackle boxes and works GREAT/AWESOME - can't say enough good things about it. I keep one "hardware" box on deck and everything else is boxed away. Without everything tucked under the console, the net fits there just perfect and is accessible for either angler. I took my pliers and put a 3/4 inch hole in the console. They fit just right down there and should not ever fall out. Cupholders are still a mystery. I'm thinking of some of these, but am waiting till I find them for less than $15 each -see near the bottom, not the flip out kind, but the holder with a ring around it to hold your extra lures. (https://www.foreandaftmarine.com/BM-MANUFACTURE.htm)

Thanks for your help! It is much easier to use the boat now without trying to step over everything on deck!

J.P. said:
have you considered a plastic crate? just like what the kayak guys use, only bigger. ugly but it works good for convenient storage. just toss everything in there. it would ruin the beauty of a nicely carpeted deck, but it works.

Also, you might want to try a boga grip instead of a bulky landing net. it's tricky at first, but it does the job of controling your catch once you get the hang of it.

I did think of a plastic crate, even went to the store to find one. It will be the next option if the adjusted setup doesn't work. It would work great cause I could mount my cupholder to it and anything else.

I saw a video show where they were using the boga grips on med/large catfish. Those things must grip awesome as the cats pulled it out of his hand - lol. I would be afraid of the agressive fish trying to bite me (they all seem to want to bite me up here). I get bit by panfish, smallmouth, largies, rockbass, even the dogfish I caught Saturday tried to sink it's teeth in. I kid you not, they really do bite.

FuzzyGrub said:
Net: We use a large net (muskie capable) with long handle. Any verticle storage has caught lures by the end of the day. Net needs to be out and ready to use. On your boat, I'd lay it horizontal (net verticle) against the port side of boat, by your passenger seat. The handle will extend across your rear deck, near the port side. Probably mount one clip to hold in place.

This would be my suggestion.
Also I would lay the rods across the front deck and put a strap across them to keep them from bouncing around. They can stay there during travel too.

Place your large tackle box in front of the console and it can stay there the entire day and mostly be out of the way.
The last thing is I would consider getting a couple of those plastic catch alll's things. There are several different types. Some mount under your seat, others have a suction cup or can be screwed in. Those also have a cup holder, but they have a place for pliars, and lures etc.