Mercury 15, owner says it's a 4 stroke, help me ID please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude haggled with me and came down to $500, I told him I may come check it out and if it runs good, has good compression, etc then I may consider it. I have been around a day or two and know how to smell something fishy, so I'll see what happens.

The wife has a lot of reservations about me buying something this old but I've always heard with small HP outboards, age wasn't as important as with the bigger ones.

Hydrilla, there's a 05 merc 15 4 stroke on eastern NC craigs list for $1200, doesn't say if short shaft but looks like it. Says 20 hrs. I don't know if you already saw this one, but it sounds like what you are looking for. The phone no. listed is 336-621-3568. I looked for about the same motor but elect for a long time, finally gave up and bought a new Suzuki from porta bote. It had been returned because a guy bought the wrong shaft lenth. They knocked another $100 off the already good price so I'm happy. Hope it is still there for you. My mother used to say if it's for you it will be there, i never believed her and it usually pissed me off. Good luck I'll keep an eye for one for you.

DenisD thanks- I did see that one, and tried to call the number listed a bunch of times but kept getting a fast busy signal. I tried again early today and it rang to my surprise, and I talked to the guy. He has several people in line to come look at it and say they will buy it, so I'm outta luck probably. He's way too far away from me to go there before the weekend. Thanks again tho!

Check the compression, thats the biggest thing IMO. you can get a comp tester at auto zone or simialr for around 20 bux, always a good tool to have if you tinker with stuff..

The search for a motor is over, I got a 2000 model 15hp Tohatsu! It is in fantastic shape, starts on the first pull every time, and purrs like a kitten. "Almost" sounds like a 4 stroke to me even though it isn't.

Here are a couple of pics 8) Yes there is a piece of pitchfork strapped to the lower unit, used as a deflection plate. I'm also including a pic of the 15' long 42" wide Polar Kraft boat and trailer that came with the deal! Too bad I can't keep this boat too, it's already been vetoed by "the boss".

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 627
  • motor2_sm.jpg
    motor2_sm.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 627
  • motor_sm.jpg
    motor_sm.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 627
Congrats that engine looks like it just came out of the showroom,,,did the previous owner ever use it?? Mike

I already sold the boat and trailer that came with this motor, got $800 for it. That means this Tohatsu cost me $450 :shock:

Congrats on the motor find and quick sale of boat and trailer. I bet it was a tough decision to start a new mod project or stick with your just completed one. Can't wait to see pics of new motor test run if you've got them, that motor should really move your boat. Are you planning to play around with motor height for max performance or stick it on and fish? I'm trying to decide if I want to try a jack plate on one of my boats or not worry about it. I have to remove the motor to store the boat so bolting it on would be tough since I can't seal bolt holes. With a jack plate I could seal transom bolts and just bolt motor to plate when it's on. Later, new motor looks great

DenisD, I don't plan to mess with the motor setup, other than get a stainless prop at some point. I ran it Saturday and with 2 people and too much gear, it ran 20.5 mph on the GPS. That's plenty fast for me. I plan to keep this boat and get a 16 or 17 footer next winter or the one after, and build it up. That boat I'll probably try to optimize/tweak, etc.

Latest posts