motor clicking when try to start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haymon15

Reaction score
i tried to jump start my motor and now it makes a clicking noise when i turn over the key. i replaced the solinoid with a used one and it seems to be bad also.

I'm sure you have already checked but my motor does the same thing every now and again. Turned out that my starter gets hung up. I spin the flywheel and it's fine till the next time.

Make sure its heavy enough,jump a hot wire directly to the post on the starter.That will eliminate the solenoid.

Sounds like not enough juice from the battery or a bad solenoid.
If the battery has a couple of bad cells, even jumping it off might not work. Fully charge the battery or put on one that you know has a full charge. If that does not fix it, then I think it is the solenoid.

i tested the solenoid and was ok. I also did a load test on the battery and it read good and was around 11 volts. i am currently charging the battery and going to try to start in the am.

11 volts is kind of low. You may have a bad cell in the battery. When you tested it, was that with a load on it(100 amps or more) or just battery voltage? Battery voltages drop a good bit when you put a load on them. If you have a bad cell it could drop so low it will engage the solenoid but not be enough to turn the starter motor. It could also be a loose wire somewhere. I would check all the wire connections first.

i tried to jump the starter and got nothing so im leaning towards a bad ground wire or the starter is bad. any help please.