motor for a 12-14 foot boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
i am going to get a boat soon, but i am not sure what to look for in a motor. i want to get on plane and move around decently quickly (10+ mph) with about 400 lbs. its a tall order, i know.... lol

would a 9.9 do it?

Fathers 14' springbok,semi V has a 9.9hp...I'd say he gets that speed.
Know speed demon but thats all he wants.
I had a 9.9hp on a 12 fiberglass over wood...felt like I was flying.

The first motor on my 1440 mv jon was an '86 Johnson 9.9. With just me & my gear, it planed out just fine, ran about ~18-20 mph. Add a second person and it would still plane but just barely, maybe 15 mph.

Your boat should have a compacity plate that tells max HP for your boat.Without that we will need the boats make,model,and size to help determin the max HP.

I think you'd be pushing it with 400#. Is that 400# of cargo and then you still have battery, motor, fuel, persons, etc.?

Tell us what the max rated HP motor you can use on the boat. I think that with that much a 9.9 would not be enough.

I have a Tracer 1448 SC. The hull runs 460 lbs dry. It goes 25 mph+ WOT with a full load (about another 400 lbs of people and gear). However, I seriously suspect it would have challenges getting fully onto plane with just a 9.9. A 15 hp would probably do the trick (i.e., 10-18 mph range).

Latest posts