Musky Fishing...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FishyItch said:
wasilvers said:
I've heard they are deadly, but I just never fished one before. Do you run it just under the surface, a few feet down, or ? I'm such a noob!

When fishing for northern and bass I usually run them between 2-4 feet over weedflats or along weed edges. They can be burned faster right near the surface and that's a sight to see even a smaller northern take a swipe at that. A slowed down retrieve will get them to run a little bit deeper, but I don't think I've ever fished them deeper than about 6. The larger musky killers will run deeper.

Also, as far as lakes in Wisconsin go. I think anything in south-eastern will work for a lot of us. I've heard Pewaukee and Oconomowoc (if that's how you spell it) are good musky lakes, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Thanks for the advice. I know Pewaukee can get rough if the wind picks up, but there seems to be plenty of lauch parking spots. Not sure on Oconomowoc, but I've heard from guy in my church fishes for muskie there in the fall - he says he slays them.

Muskie fishing locations in WI. https://www.wisconsinsportsmanmag.com/fishing/muskies-pike-fishing/wi_aa055903a/

The WI/IL guys (and any others) are going to fish Waubesa (mentioned as number 1) on June 25th for a bass/panfish tourney. Come on out and put the bass you catch into the tourney!

Will

LonLB said:
Well looks like the first club outing is May 21st here in MI so that's my deadline for the boat.

I've been working at it slowly but it's time to get in gear.

You guys come up with a lake over there?

Would you mind if you keep me in the loop, sounds like a good time. Google shows Klinger lake about 2 hours from my place that would be a doable trip for me if my chick is cool with it.

Crankworm said:
LonLB said:
Well looks like the first club outing is May 21st here in MI so that's my deadline for the boat.

I've been working at it slowly but it's time to get in gear.

You guys come up with a lake over there?

Would you mind if you keep me in the loop, sounds like a good time. Google shows Klinger lake about 2 hours from my place that would be a doable trip for me if my chick is cool with it.

Where are you at in MI? The outing on May 21st is on Lake Ovid, which is directly west of Flint.

Also, there is an "ice out challenge" the end of March on the Indiana Musky lakes, which is about an hour from me.
My new goal is to have the boat done and running by then. It'll be a tall task, but that's what I'm going to shoot for.

I am just watching a Tivo'd copy of "Quest for the One"..a Versus fishing showed shown this last week. Their feature is on Musky fishing on Lake in the Woods.

I noticed that the first three very large muskies they caught so far... were netted when the fish were very "green". I've never tried to net a fish still that peppy. Is this early netting normal...???

A total of 4 fish were shown, with the last one being "over 50 lbs" according to the guide. That many really large fish in one day is more than my old heart could stand!!! ha!
Rich

LonLB said:
Where are you at in MI? The outing on May 21st is on Lake Ovid, which is directly west of Flint.

I live in Mason just south of lansing, Ovid is about 20-30min straight north of me. I mostly fish for salmon and haven't targeted muskie except on a charter trip in lake St. Clair once, but I could probably be swayed pretty easy. What would some of the basics be in terms of rods and reels and tackle and such?

Crankworm said:
LonLB said:

I live in Mason just south of lansing, Ovid is about 20-30min straight north of me. I mostly fish for salmon and haven't targeted muskie except on a charter trip in lake St. Clair once, but I could probably be swayed pretty easy. What would some of the basics be in terms of rods and reels and tackle and such?

You can get by with one Musky rod starting out. About a 7'6. A used or new 5500C3 or 6500C3
Spool it with 100lb superbraid
Two bucktails. Black/silver, white/silver
A prop bait type top water.
A Suick
A Manta
And a couple different crankbaits.

When you build on that, go for similar but different baits from what you already have. For instance a Suick in a natural color, and one in a hot color like Chartreuse or something like that.
A Bright gaudy bucktail to go along with the natural colored bucktails

If I can make it up there your welcome to fish in my boat and I could set you up with a rod or two and use any bait you want.

Latest posts