My first Boat to be

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SVNET said:
What do you do if a snake jumps on board ?
Draw your sidearm & proceed to blast it full of holes
scif6A.gif
while the Mrs says "Whoooaaa, nice shootin' there Tex"

SVNET said:
What do you do if encounter an alligator ?
See the above answer, but ....
scif2BD.gif
larger critter calls for larger weapon
scif197.gif

SVNET said:
What would be the easiest way to get the snake back in the water and out of the boat....
Tell it you pity the fool who looks like a snake in your boat
scif53A.gif

SVNET said:
I am not the greatest outdoor person so I am trying to be ready for the worse...
Order the box set of Les Stroud
scif54F.gif
as Survivorman....he's awesome
hbsw00B0.gif

OK....don't do any of the things Imentioned :wink:

ST

Talk to the owner of the first boat green boat on the list....

He says the boat goes out on the lake every weekend.

The motor runs good and the boat is in excellent shape, but he warned the rear plug is kind of worn out....

Is that a mayor issue ? can that plug be easily repaired or changed ?

I have lined up a series of boats to go see this Saturday, wish me luck...

can that plug be easily repaired or changed ?
That plug is made to come out every time you trailer the boat, so it doesn't accumulate rain water. So, if that is its only issue, I would say go for it. However, never go by what the owner says. Allow him to run it for you.

Small world. I stayed in Mayo florida just last month and fished the suwannee and sante fe rivers. You are blessed to live in an area with some of the most beautiful fishing locations I have ever seen. There are also suwannee bass in this area, and beware of flying sturgeon.

I still think the 1st boat is your best bet.

WTL said:
Small world. I stayed in Mayo florida just last month and fished the suwannee and sante fe rivers. You are blessed to live in an area with some of the most beautiful fishing locations I have ever seen. There are also suwannee bass in this area, and beware of flying sturgeon.

I still think the 1st boat is your best bet.

What brought you to Mayo ? There is nothing there....

Where you from, do you live in FL ?

But yeah, that is why I am trying to get into this now because we might be moving up north
and I want to take advantage of what is here for the time being...

It just shocked me last weekend, I told my wife is like if we have been living in a comma, so much nature around us in this area and we are just not doing the stuff we are to be doing here...

If I do find a boat that fit my bill, you better believe that I will trave the whole swanne and st. fe river from one end to the other....

Althoght last weekend I found some area on the river that were too shalow for a boat.... with rocks in the bottom that could easily damage a boat....

This past year I put 17K miles on Motorcycles, that is a lot or riding for me, I have explored a lot of this area back roads on two wheels...

Now is time to slow down and enjoy nature in a different way...

You are going to learn to be prudent quickly fishing the Suwanee, it is loaded with shoals in that area between branford and mayo - when the water is low you can destroy a prop quick. Also if you go up the sante fe past the ichtetucknee river I understand there are shoals and difficult stretches.

I recomend a cheap depth finder when you can get one - they cost around $100 for the inexpensive ones, its a sonar unit which shows on a little screen how deep it is and also shows fish. When you are riding along in the boat you can watch the depth finder to know if the water is shallowing up.

There were some areas on the suwannee though you just cant get past in a boat right now.

As for Mayo, I was looking at google earth and I clicked hotels/lodging and it just so happened that a place called riverrendezvous showed up. I liked the location on the map, gave them a call, set up a reservation and as it turns out I was really astounded by the value they provided.

I actually live in Alabama. I am contemplating moving to the gulf coast for a bit, but I was just on a vacation to lake kissimmee and always wanted to stop and fish the suwanee cause it was so beautiful from the bridges. That and I am trying to catch all 7 species of bass, and the Suwanee has one of the more rare ones.

Welcome aboard mate :D

Thats awsome you and the mrs. are enjoying God's creation :wink:

This sounds just like me strating out on boats, My first one was a 1232 jon, which means 12 foot long and the floor is 32 inches wide, good little boat, I now have a 1436 jon.

I would recommend if anything a more stable boat, Flat jons(just like I show ya here) and the last pic(which I call a two man bass boat and is a bit high on price but not a rip off) on your first post are the ones I would buy. The wider the boat the more stable, I actually recommend for a beginner and a guest starting at a boat at least 36 inches wide on the floor, you and the misses would be very comfy in that(even tho I know you already handled a canoe) its just fishen can get a bit lively on a canoe :lol: I by myself was in the 1232 and it was fine for me but, when I had guest it was a little more unstable that I cared for as a beginner [-X

How about the fishen part--what are you intrested in catching?

I understand that you are looking today and hope you find what ya wanted.

Asking $1000

1969 13' Meyer V-hull with a 9.9hp gas motor and a 30lb trolling motor.

It seems to be very well hooked up, but $1000 feels a bit too much... I offered $700, awaiting on reply....

010106011612010305200808017f39a04e4e8597e2d6003a69.jpg

0102080104010103022008080109d3bba9fb28e3442f00379e.jpg

010211010401010302200808017748d2d1c6f3ed03aa004ac0.jpg

I like that. Its never a bad thing to make an offer, but $1000 does not sound bad to me if the motor is running. Its already decked out even. Trolling motor is the right size for that boat although I would move it to the front. Trailer looks good from the pics. Although we a nuts when it comes to modding b oats, you could probably buy that and take her fishing on the same day.

That looks good SVNET, did ya check it out underneath? seen any patch work? If not its pretty close to the price if the motor purrs.

That be a sweet one to start out with, you'd be happy.

If he doesn;t come down very much and you still are intrested ask to take it out on the water with him, shouldn't be a problem if he's not hiding somethen, heck ask him to hold a bill or two from ya if he hasn't got time to go :mrgreen:

Well.... What can I say...

1. We woke up and it was raining... wonderful day to go shopping under the rain!
2. Took the wife and kids Boat hunting - What a mistake, buying toys with the wife, just doesn't work!
3. People are out of their mind with regard what they are selling and how much money they want...
4. The only good think is that I got to see about 5 different boats and now I have visual judgment of what I want.

I guess due to the economy people are in so much need that they are not thinking straight. This guy was asking $500
for a beat up boat that I would not dear to be on the water. What a joke, he stated to be on unemployed n needed $ to pay bills so price was not negotiable... I jet out as fast as I could....

Missed a few boats, people not answering their phones...

Next I found a 1970 v shape 12ft, excellent condition with a good trailer, no motor for $375. What i liked is the thick aluminum that it is built with, I could tell it was a good brand boat n well taken care of... The guy had a beat up 2hp yamaha motor, that he claims to mechanically sound, but he wanted $500 for everything. I worked him down to $450, but I did not get it since I had 3 others boats to see... But, it is what it is, small plain boat with a beat up engine that works and an a trailer that appears in good shape... I am still thinking about, I want to call the guy tomorrow to see if he still want to do the deal...

Next I drove to Inverness, about 80 miles from home to see the green boat on the first post, what a piece of junk compared to the one I just seen for $450. Once again I go blank, what are people thinking, $650 for a beat up boat full of dents and engine that looks like it went to war and back...

All in all, I wasted $50 in gas, a whole day driving in the rain but I did got some exposure as to what I consider to be a worthy boat and what is junk in my eyes...

The guy from the last boat I found replied to my $700 offer. He would sell me the boat for $700, but without the electric motor. I have not seen the boat yet, but for what other people are selling for $500, this one is a Cadillac for $200 more....

But I put a cap on my spending, I want to find an fully functional boat that is ready to hit the water for $500 or less.

Until I find such a boat, I will remain in standby.

Thank you all for the amount of help that I have received here, this forum is great, I will keep all of you posted.

Don't know if you've looked here of not.........just pic the cities closest to you, there's a section for boats. Many will have pics & prices.......

https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/fl

ST

SlimeTime said:
Don't know if you've looked here of not.........just pic the cities closest to you, there's a section for boats. Many will have pics & prices.......

https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/fl

ST

Thank you for the suggestion. Craigslist is the source of most of my leads...

But like anything else, Craigslist is now getting too popular and starting to be abused.

Just like ebay, it used to be a place for great deals, now I don't even check ebay, people are
bidding more money on used item then what it cost to buy those same items NEW and locally, so what is the point ? Stupid...

The Key to this game is patience, not to be desperate and have fate that you will find what you want for the price you want.

Also, you really need to know what you want, so when it shows up, you can act fast bofore another sniper takes it away.

Right now is summer time, everybody wants to be on a boat down the river so sellers are taking advantage, but the winter
will come along and then these same boats will be selling for nothing...

If I could only wait...

But now that I am looking for boats, everywhere I drive I see someone pulling a boat, so many people boating at this time...

I agree....I wouldn't use Feebay if it were the last site left. CL is full of scammers, so you need to use a disposable email address (like Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail) or your main email address will be used for spamming (had this happen to me).

Like you said, patience is the name of the game :wink:

ST

Well,

I think I found the one....

12ft V shape aluminum in great shape, includes the paddles, a Walmart T34 trolling motor, Deep Cell battery and a charger for the battery, all for $250 but no trailer. I don't mind the trailer so much since I have a general trailer that I can use to transport the boat for now.

The boat looks in very good conditions, it has small dent on front bottom and the motor plywood board needs to be replace.

No rust, completely clean, seller claims no leaks either.

I did see that on each rivets on the bottom, the seller try to seal it with like hot wax or glue. He claims it was just done as a precaution since he had to slide the boat in and out his truck bet and did not wanted to harm the rivets.

How easy it is to replace the motor boards and seal those holes back up again ?

What do you guys think of this deal ? ? ?

I am $250 away from being fishing on the river this weekend...

I wish it was a flat bottom instead of the V Shape from the experience I had this weekend.

We went to a lake to rent a canoe and the rental place was not letting the boats out because of how dry the creek and lake were. We keep bumping into stuff, and that's when my friend David explain that is when the flat bottom shines... With a flat bottom you can go in much shallow waters then with a V Shape.

Here are some pictures from this past weekend...

Z-David-Setup.jpg

Z-First-Lesson.jpg

onTheCanoe.jpg

airBoats.jpg

Z-Naping.jpg

This fun guys, I am having a blast and I don't even have my own boat yet...

Hello,

I found a guys who wants an old boat out of his yard ASAP.

Excellent trailer, useless boat, all for $150.

Where could one dispose that boat and just keep the trailer...

That's Dale Jr's airboat!! :mrgreen: Looks like you all had fun, and that's what it's all about. If you're trying to get your kid(s) used to fishing, you should consider bringing along something else to keep him occupied in the event he gets bored with fishing. Might take an umbrella next time, he can get out of the sun that way if it's too hot for him.

ST

Latest posts