My Tracker 1542 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! Hatches look fairly flush, can't see it being an issue. Looks like lots of room up there.

MrSimon said:
Whats up with the kidney shaped switch panel? Its awesome!!
I got that on ebay, its actually for a Stratos. But it was brand new and even came with the livewell timers plus the fuse panel, so I couldnt pass it up for $80.

Looks great! Hatches look fairly flush, can't see it being an issue. Looks like lots of room up there
There is plenty of room, what im concerned about are the hinges that stick up on the back of the hatch. The hatch itself is pretty low, its the hinges that will trip me up.

Hey chrispy186, Your build is really lookin' good. How did the front trolling motor setup work out? I am thinking of doing the very same.

tmoore8 said:
Hey chrispy186, Your build is really lookin' good. How did the front trolling motor setup work out? I am thinking of doing the very same.
Well I dont have the trolling motor yet, but the mount is very solid. The mount is a small section of steel square tubing, which i sanded and applied self etching primer to. Then I painted it with some rustoleum, the closest color I could find to the boat. I drilled 3 holes and used stainless bolts. I also put a thick strip of aluminum on the under side of the front lip on the boat for added strength, just in case. On my last boat I had an L shaped bracket up front with a 2x4 on it, and after a while I had to replace the 2x4. I figure with the steel tubing I will never have to replace it.

maddog said:
Looking great! What cooler did you use for the livewell? It looks longer and narrower than any cooler I see around here. I am assuming you bought a cooler and cut the top off...
It's a 108qt cooler,the biggest I could fit in length wise. I actually got it for free, otherwise I wouldn't have cut the top off. I only took about an inch off the top anyway, but I needed to in order to make the deck work.

oh, wow. I thought it was maybe 10 gallon or something. 108qt should hold alot of fish! Thanks for the info. Your boat is looking great. I am hoping to get one of those 15 or 16 ft. jons in a couple years. They just look like the perfect platform for the type of fishing I do.

Hey chrispy, do you remember what it took to get the original livewell out? Did the plug break loose easily? Did you need to re-seal the bottom after?

Thx

Scott1298 said:
Hey chrispy, do you remember what it took to get the original livewell out? Did the plug break loose easily? Did you need to re-seal the bottom after?

Thx
It wasnt hard to get out. I just ground the rivet heads off, the nut for the drain wasnt on too tight. After i got it out, I JB welded the part of the rivets sticking up and put the nut back on the drain. Then I put the plug in, sealed it with 3M 5200 on the top and bottom of the plug.

How's the 1542's stability in comparison to a 1448? I am looking to get a new boat, but have no idea which will be the best bang for my buck!

I've had both hulls. There really isn't that much difference between the two. Personally I preferred the extra width to the extra length.

Its going to come down to how the boat is laid out.

One more thing .... BassTracker is one of the more common makers of the 1542 hull. They seem nice, but they tend to develop cracks in the hull and in the ribs over time. I'd be a little wary of buying an old one that has seen a lot of use.