Need some advice / guidance on first build Alweld 1652j

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riverjet87 said:
looking good. what's the hole for in the bow?

Navigation light.

Country Dave said:
hey bro that's a great boat,

I wish I had that hull with a Mod-V for my next project. If you don't mind what did the hull set you back.

The boat and trailer was around 4200. i had to pay a premium for shipping to get it here though... sucks.

I have a few minutes to elaborate on Tuff Coat

I sprayed tuff coat on, didn't try to roll because of the reviews that I read online about how much of a PITA it is to roll on, so spraying was my choice...

DON'T do this anywhere you don't want to get those little rubber pellets... Them things fly EVERYWHERE... ALSO, the recommended pressure on the gun was around 45 psi if I remember correctly. I ended up using about 12 psi. If you use a pressure as high as that the pellets just jump off of the boat and blast anywhere and everywhere else. BUT you need someone with you who can regulate the pressure. That way if a rubber pellet gets lodged in the tip of the gun you can give it a short burst of air at a higher PSI to clear the nozzle. I used the smallest nozzle that came with my texture spray gun. I used that because somewhere on the tuff coat website it recommended it. (((( Side note : After sanding my deck with a electric sander, I made a few swipes by hand, it created much deeper ridges and a rougher surface for the primer to adhere to. Also, I painted the primer with a brush, that way I could PUSH the primer into these crevices while I was applying it.)))) When you apply a second coat, the product looks terrible. Don't fret, it will self level just fine. In fact, Most of the rubber pellets stuck on the second coat. I'm assuming it was because the first was "tacky". All in all it wasn't too bad, just be sure to have a bucket and wet rags handy incase the product gets somewhere you don't want it, if you wipe it off quickly with a wet rag it comes right off. Also get all of your material together BEFORE you start spraying... LOL, I was running frantinc around the garage looking for a clean rag to wipe off an OOops with.

So far I like the product, But I have yet to even stand on it. So what do I know? I'm mounting my trolling motor tomorrow I think. Unless my wife has made other plans for me. =)

More to come.

J

I had time to mount my trolling motor and put on my numbers... The numbers came out HUGE from the vinyl sticker shop... But I've waited a long time for my jet boat. so I'm PROUD of these numbers!!!

( That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! )

I can already tell I'm going to need to shorten this shaft. I know it's possible. I'll have to research on the good ole' google to find out how.

That size Minn kota Edge is that.I just got an Edge 50 from Wally World and put it on my jet boat.The shaft is alittle long but I just adjust the sfaft up in the bow mount and I going to live with it.Like your boat so far and cannnot wait to see it with the engin onit.Any word about your engin?

It's a 70lb Minn kota edge, 45" shaft. I'm going to wait till I get my motor mounted to cut it so I know how she sits in the water. Scheduled delivery is August 8th. So about a week and a half.

UPDATE, I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My goodness I want my jet!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to mount Pedestal seats in my boat. the screw in 3/4 pin system... The deck is pretty cut and dry, I can get to the bottom, add a small bar for extra support and weight distribution and fasten them well.

NOW, on the rear bench seat I'm just about lost... any suggestions on fasteners? I'm hoping to get this thing in the water next weekend, I'll want a place to sit. =) I have the holes cut into the rear bench seat for speakers.... maybe just waller ( yes that is a specific term ) the foam out a little until I can reach what I need?

Can someone elaborate on the "grease your pump after every use?" Where can I buy the grease pump and grease I need? Is it just something I can pic up at an auto parts store? No jet unit.... Now they are saying it will not be until Tuesday. bummer.

motor is being mounted now. . . Should I grease with 630 AA only? Or is 2-4-c a good option? I have had more luck finding the 2-4-c locally.

I can't find an NLGI weight for the 2-4-c, but if it's intended for external engine parts (tilt tube, pivot points, etc.) my guess is it's too heavy for the pump bearing. Outboard Jets calls for NLGI 1, which is pretty "thin." Not saying you can't get by with something else, but it would be like putting 80w gear oil in a car engine that calls for 10w-30

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325770#p325770 said:
J Hartman » Today, 15:33[/url]"]motor is being mounted now. . . Should I grease with 630 AA only? Or is 2-4-c a good option? I have had more luck finding the 2-4-c locally.

Taken from outboard jets..

10. Can you use any other grease besides Lubriplate 630 AA and why do we recommend against using a lever type grease gun?

Any grease of the same consistency (NLGI 1) which is water resistant should do the job. The main thing is to keep grease in the bearing cavity and water out. We prefer a hand held jiffy lube since it does not create high pressure. If a cartridge type lever gun is used, it should be pumped gently! Excessive pressure will invert the rubber seal lips and seals will no longer keep water out.

Here is some more info..

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/outboard_jet_maintenance.htm

Read the part about not using a normal grease gun.. you can blow out the seals if you use to much pressure..

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for those of you familiar with internet meme's...

ERR MAH GERD, MERTER!!!

Ok I just emailed my self a few pictures I will upload them to photobucket and brb.