Nemabin Lake, WI 5-28

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Got a call Saturday morning from a neighbor wanting to go fishing. I was hesitant as it was Memorial Day weekend and figured it would be crowded. We headed over to a clear, natural lake, me hoping to pick up some smallmouth, him wanting to catch anything that would bite. There were 2 spots that had just opened up at the ramp as we got there :D We headed back to a pefect setting, slightly weed, for bass, we both thought it would be a killer. Turns out we didn't catch a single bass, I did catch this dogfish at the boatside. He almost cleared 3lbs and totally destroyed the spinnerbait. No matter of tuning has gotten it to work right yet!

2011-05-28dogfish.jpg

Water was 59-60 degrees and we tried all manner of rigs and for different species. Caught a few short smallmouths and largemouths - averaging 12-13 inches. My partner caught some northern pike, and we both caught some rockbass. All the game fish came from shallow weedlines. We only had bites next to or over weed beds. One time I cast in to a limb in the water, then we got closer and I could see there wasn't a fish anywhere near it, just the limb and sandy bottom. I was surprised when I felt the hit and pulled out a nice little bass. Next time I'm casting everything whether I see a fish or not! For the last hour, since the wind had been blowing pretty steady (mabye 20 solid with gusts) we decided to cast the wind driven shoreline. We ran the trolling motor on speed 4 (to avoid the gusts landing us onshore) and cast spinnerbaits up to and on shore. We caught a lot of fish with about every 5th cast getting at least a bite. Lots of fun, but ran my battery down! For fishing from 10am to 2pm, it wasn't a bad trip at all.

I took 4 of the rockbass home and prepared them. The kids (who HATE fish) attacked them and couldn't stop saying how good the fish was. I thought it tasted fine, but was a bit mushy (that might come from sitting in the fridge for 2 days though).

It was a fun trip.

Latest posts