New 1232 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipemajor

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been watching the site for ideas on the mod for my 1232 jon boat. I have used many of the ideas that I can see in the pictures (some of the posted pictures don't show up). My boat is of unknown origin. Given to my by my dad in 1997, I never had the time to repair it or even use it. I have been using my 15' Gumman aluminum canoe for fishing for the last 7 years and now I want something I don't have to paddle and is more stable. I plan on putting on a casting deck, 9.9hp outboard and a trolling motor. Only concern is the talk about it being a little tippy. I figure it can't be any more tippy than the canoe so forword into the unknown. I have repaired the broken ribs and new rivet (Hanson Brazier 1/4 x 3/8 solid rivets from Grainger) all around. I bought an air hammer/chisel from Harbor Freight for $5 and cut the tip off of the pointed chisel bit. Used a big drill bit to indent the tip to mushroom the end. Using a one-jack and the air chisel, I easily set the rivets. Used 3M 5200 marine sealent (recommended from this site) on all of the rivet heads. I had my wife help me with the rivets in the middle. It took me 10 minute to remove that first rivet she helped me #-o . The rattle from the air chisel startled her and she moved the one-jack. The sealent is finally cured and it is onto the dent and crack repairs. I test brazed a crack with some alumiweld from Harbor Freight and it worked great...just make sure the area is real clean and watch the Youtube videos on how it is done.
I will post some pictures at a later date.

Cheers! :LOL2:

Here are some photos of the boat I am modifying. (the camera date and time is way off)
J1.jpg
J2.jpg
J3.jpg
J4.jpg
J5.jpg
J6.jpg
J7.jpg
J8.jpg
J10.jpg
J11.jpg
J13.jpg

Your making great progess - Keep up the good work, the boat should turn out real nice in the end. Make sure to keep us updated

I have been busy. Here are some updated photos.
J15.jpg
J18.jpg
J19.jpg
J21.jpg
J26.jpg
J27.jpg
J32.jpg
J36.jpg
J37.jpg
J42.jpg
I went to the DMV and got the new numbers for the boat and trailer. Only took 2 hrs.
Next step is to set it on the trailer in the front yard and wire it, install casting deck and sitting deck, Carpet..........

I saw some good ideas about how to mount the trolling motor.

Until next time...Cheers!

The front wood deck, carpet, and aluminum frame only added 45 lbs to the boat.
I didn't need any inside bracing for the frame. The Battery is located in the middle of the boat. I will have a small 9.9 hp Evinrude on the back. It should trim out OK when I get done. I wont really know until March.

Cheers :D

Still working on the mod. I might be able to have her ready by the end of February. I have to get some switches for the electrical. I will prewire for lights, but I really don't plan on going out in the dark. I have a small mushroom anchore but I really don know if it is big enough for this size boat. Can anyone suggest a proper size?
More Photos:
J45.jpg
J46.jpg
J47.jpg
J48.jpg
J51.jpg
J50.jpg
J53.jpg

Cheers! :)

Thanks to those who wished me well on the project :D
I have finally finished and took it out on the lake today.
first some photos:J55.jpg
J57.jpg
J58.jpg
Now to tell about what didn't go so good.
I discovered that I placed the rear seat in a bad spot. It leans to starboard too much :(
I need to buy a glider plate for the seat so I can move it. The location the seat should be at will block my tackle storage access door. I also found that I wired the switches wrong and the trolling motor quit in the middle of the lake.
And there is more! My sonar was mounted per the manual instruction and that turned out not to work. Had to relocate the depth a couple inches...it should of worked. Since I was going to tool around the lake, I thought I would bring the underwater video camera along and look for fish. It worked last night! :cry:
Found a blown fuse when I got it home.
As for stability.....the high chair on the deck looks good but it gave me the :shock: when I tried to use it. Works well in the low position. It took me a while to get my sea legs to stroll the deck.....hands and knees until then.

Good stuff... It floats and the 9.9hp Evinrude performed reall well. I had that boat skooting =D>
All in all, it was a fine day. I didn't expect perfection and it didn't sink :lol:

Cheers to all you Tin Boat Sailors =D>

Great job on the boat, I'm sure you will get everything straightened out and be pulling fish in left and right. I was wondering how the casting deck on a 1232 would work out, I have a 1032 and keep my *** planted most of the time.

Nice work! How did you attach the EMT to the trailer, and the lights to the emt? Thanks for the tip in my build, even though it hasn't REALLY started yet ;)

Thanks! Just got the seat slide tonight and started to lay out where it should go. It is to dark outside to do much tonight. I will update as I get things done.

Cheers :!: :beer:

WOW GOOD WORK!!! It's amazing looking at the before and after pics. My transom looked a lot like yours when i repaired it. As far as the back seat goes, I'll keep that in mind when I'm doing mine.

Thanks, Glad you liked it. I mounted the seat slider so it will move all the way up to my storage door. That put it almost dead middle. I moved it forward about 8 inches. Took it out last Sunday for test and fishing on the lake. The position of that seat really made the boat trim well. I used the deck seat with the 11" extention [-o< and didn't fall in the water...got my sea legs. The little boat really worked sweet =D>
Didn't even see a fish in the water....I did see an Osprey dive in the waternext to the boat dock an pull out a nice Bass....really cool =D>

Good luck on your build :!:

Cheers

Latest posts