New guy from the Pacific NorthWest

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishNutz

Reaction score
Hi Folks -

I'm Dave (AKA FishNutz) and I'm in Vancouver, WA.
Primary water is the Lewis, Columbia and Willamitte Rivers.
Target species are Steelhead, Salmon and Sturgeon.

I just finished a rebuild on a 16' wood sled, but it's just not my deal so I jumped at the chance to get a nice little tin boat until twofootidis kicks in. Now I just need to cut my losses and get rid of the sled for a BIG loss. Lesson learned!

I sure wish I had found this site about a year ago, but I guess it's better late than never.
My neighbor had a little 12' Western sitting by his chicken shed for the last 16 years and I've had my eye on it for the 3 years that I've lived across the road from it. It's only been on the water a handful of times since his brother baught it new in 1988. He finally let me have it for $300 last September!
It came with the trailer and freshly cut (16 years ago) and primed seat boards that were kept nice and dry in the shed. After some pressure washing and a little air in the tires, it was ready to get started on.

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

I'm not planning on anything as extensive as some of the upgrades I've seen on this site, but the work some of you guys are doing to your boats is inspiring and impressive to say the least.

I'm going to try to put together a simple little build album to get it to the point it is today, but that will come along as I figure out how to make it happen.

So far...It's got all of the basics installed and I think I have it all situated to make it as useful as it can be for the type of fishing I do. I had an old Merc 7.5 on it, but the uphill speed was mind-numbing so it had to go. I found a really nice 1997 Honda 9.9 4 stroke and removed the throttle limiting screw so it should be around 13.2 (or 13.8 depending on your research). I'm taking it out with the new motor for the first time this weekend while everyone else is watching the Super Bowl. The steelhead are still hanging around in my home river so I'm going for blood!

Here's the first fish to the boat. (It took 3 trips, but it's a fish killer for sure!)
DSCF0033.JPG

I'll be getting some more recent pics to share this weekend.

Thank you ALL for the great posts and information that this site provides.

I look forward to learning my way around and checking out more of these impressive customizations.

Welcome aboard, FishNut; nice to have another member form the PNW. You have a nice platform and OB to work with and I predict lots of fish. Regrettably, I don't get nearly as many chances to chase steelies since I moved mid-state. Do keep us posted as you progress with lots of pics.

Welcome FishNutz! :WELCOME:

I am jealous! I love chasing rainbows and brownies in missouri. Its a bucket list item to chase Salmon or Steelhead in PNW or all the way up in Alaska.

Thanks for the welcome Guys --

Very nice work on those boats of yours! =D>

panFried-
The transom thing looks likt a PAIN!

rickybobbybend-
I think I may need to "borrow liberally" from a couple of the things you did to the "pointy end".

I'm done with Phase 1 at this point. But I'm going to be taking it down for a weekend this summer to get Phase 2 and completion. I've been doing some reading and checking out the builds on this site some more and I think I've got a plan coming together. (Good thing it's simple!)

Here's a couple of the few pics I have in the "During" process:

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0029.JPG