New Guy with new old boat and motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While you are experimenting with weight forward and aft, don't forget that you can tie in a five-gallon bucket here and there. Filled with water, you can adjust how much weight you want and where it works best for you. Each gallon is around 7 or 8 lbs.

Don't forget to put the cap on. Sloshing water is not safe.

richg99

richg99 said:
While you are experimenting with weight forward and aft, don't forget that you can tie in a five-gallon bucket here and there. Filled with water, you can adjust how much weight you want and where it works best for you. Each gallon is around 7 or 8 lbs.

Don't forget to put the cap on. Sloshing water is not safe.

richg99

Rich I was thinking of going with 5 gallon buckets with lids. The more I thought about it the less sense it made to me. I'd have to bring at least 4 five gallon buckets, load them with water and empty them at the end of the day. I'm back by the motor (my arms are only so long) and I'm 190 lbs. To offset that I would need at least 160 lbs .. the 4 five gallon buckets. The easiest remedy for me is to move my butt forward using a tiller extension.
My entire goal of the little jon boat is to keep it a light weight and a one man deal. The boat is 55 lbs. The o/b is 30 lbs. All my gear is probably 40 lbs. When I finally get the wheel kit done and installed life should be easy. I can take the boat off the roof, fold down the wheels, load my gear and lay the motor inside. Wheel it down to the water. Mount the motor and go !

Ahhhh, sorry I wasn't too clear. The use of the bucket(s) was simply to temporarily check out what weight movement will do to your boat.

Once you find out that xxx pounds moved forward will accomplish whatever you want, then you move batteries, gasoline tanks or add your extension arm.

richg99

To offset that I would need at least 160 lbs

Well, no, you wouldn't.

Try one bucket, it may be enough, combined with the rest of the forward weight to bring the bow down. Over the years, I've used a sack of sand--sold for traction assistance in Winter in Wisconsin. Stash it in the forward-most position in the boat and see what you have.

Back when I was lighter, I had a 10 ft jon, and put a 29lb Evinrude 3hp on it. The stern had about 2 inches of clearance on still water. I was not comfortable.

Some of these skinny young guys can play with a 10 ft jon, but we men of substance are not likely to be comfortable in them.

Be safe, have fun.

Kismet said:
To offset that I would need at least 160 lbs

I had a 10 ft jon, and put a 29lb Evinrude 3hp on it. The stern had about 2 inches of clearance on still water. I was not comfortable.

That's about what I had. The front was way up and the rear had about 3 inches off the water. I got on my knees and went forward. I stretched my arm out to the tiller arm and then I was about 3 1/2"-4" off the water.
I didn't bother trying to get out this past weekend. I knew everyplace would be mobbed so I'll try to get out this coming weekend.

I had started fabricating a wheel kit for my jon boat last fall. Well I finally got around to finishing it this past weekend.
I literally finished mounting it about an hour ago. I wheeled it around the yard, tried it in the up and down position and so far so good.
Here's a few pics.

resized%201.jpg

Resized%202.jpg

Thanks Rich. I've seen similar wheel kits available on the web.
It should make my life easier. Instead of tying up a ramp I can get the boat off the roof in the parking lot. Load all my gear and walk it down. If it's just a trail launch it should work equally as well.
I wanted to test things out this weekend but the weather isn't looking all that good.

Sunday I was able to get the boat and motor out for a little testing.
Before going I did some checking of the boat and motor in my yard. I placed the boat on milk crates and mounted the motor. The first thing I noticed was the trim angle. The transom has an angle sloping downward towards the front of the boat. The motor in the first slot had the prop at a downward angle. I moved it to the second slot and it was just about perfect.
On the lake the boat performed much better right off the bat. The transom was much higher off the water with an increase in speed. I then tried moving to the forward seat and using the throttle extension. The speed seemed to increase but the nose seemed slightly plowing.
I then moved back to the rear seat and moved all my gear to the front. It felt like a slight loss in speed but the front wasn't plowing. I think my next move is to bring a 5 gallon bucket, as you guys suggested, and add a bit more weight to the front while I stay in the rear seat position.

Here's a picture I snapped while in the front seat and using the throttle extension. Thanks for the advice !

Testing%20Boat%20and%20Motor%20002.jpg

Thanks again Rich. :wink:

I had it out in Pa this past weekend. At the end of the day guys were at the docks waiting on their trailers. When I pulled into the ramp I heard moaning.
I said I'll be gone in two minutes. I took off the motor, put it in the boat, lowered the wheels and inserted the pins. As I walked the boat up the ramp I heard the guys laughing and saying "that is slick". :D