New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BassGeek54 said:
Thanks Chris...BTW nice mod on your boat.

I wish I could take credit for the mod on my boat, but it's actually about 90% factory. About the only thing I did to it was turn the livewell lid around to open the right direction.

Well it is a really nice boat no matter who did it.

I will try to get a picture of my boat on here soon. It is just a bare 2010 Tracker Grizly 1648 AWL. I actually got it used for $1400.00 which is over $1000 less than new. I got my trailer off of Craigs List for $120.00 and sanded it all down and repainted it got new wheels and tires for it. It isn't much especially compared to some of the nice rigs I have seen on here but it is my first boat and I really like it. MAN! I had no idea how expensive outboards are though...I will be getting by with my trolling motor for awhile I think.

Well, I finally found the place for new members to introduce ourselves! I am a tad slow... Vietnam vet (I am finally able to say that!!), been in tin boats all my life, the one I have is a Dura Craft, circa. 1954 or so. My Dad bought it in 1957, and we have used it every since! Dad passed away in '94, and it was one of my things to take, so it has been in the family since '57. It is the rounded bottom style, 14', and now has a 2000 Johnson 15 HP. I'm one of the geezers on here, but me old brain got stuck at about age 25 (wife and daughter say about 12). I still think I can do all I used to! Pretty much try. I have been about everywhere, really. Lived overseas many years, traveled all over USA... in Mississippi now - some of the friendliest people anywhere here! Originally from Georgia, literally raised on Clark Hill lake. I remember when THE boat on that lake was a wooden Yellow Jacket (man, those were beautiful boats!) with a 25 HP motor - that was about the fastest thing around in those days. Got to stop - I could write a book about my various and sundry adventures!

Oh well, I love this site! Tin boats! What can be much better. They just have something about them... We all know.

So glad you stepped up to the plate DuraCraft! Happy to have you aboard. Sounds like you have some great memories to share with us. I'll put my seatbelt on and get ready for the fun.

Hello everyone,, Im from the foothills of N.C. We enjoy catching crappie, catfish and walleye.We go often to the coast were we fish inshore for drum,trout and flounder. At home we fish out of a pontoon but at the coast we have been fishing out of a carolina skiff. Im going to trade for either a seaark or G3,, unsure yet but one or the other. (tunnel hull jet) ??? Again hello ,, looks like a good site =D>

Good morning. Well, as of yesterday, I became a new ( to me ) owner of a "tin boat". This isn't my first "tin boat: nor is it, by any stretch.. my first boat. My wife, of 50 years, tells me I"ve owned over 25 boat during our marraige....but heck, who is counting!

I bought a ten year old 16 ft Lowe with a 40 hp Johnson 2 cycle. Hope it will plane decently with my old, fat butt on it. She will be used mostly for fishing Southern Texas lakes, as well as the Galveston Bay system. I may have to add a jack plate to raise the engine enough to get shallow enough for the oyster strewn bay bottoms. South Texas bays can run from ten feet to 5 inches real quick. Anyone else here with exposure to that sort of bottom with a similar boat?

Anyhow, I am 71 yrs of age; out of shape and too heavy for my last boat, which was a Gheenoe. Looks like I have a buyer for it....so I can move this boat right into the boat barn in a day to two. Right now, the new boat is taking up one garage parking spot. I have some "tinkering" to do to see what the former owner left me.

My first issue is to deal with my inability to remove the ball from the coupler on the trailer. I asked the former owner if the coupler fitted a 2 inch or a 1 7/8th inch ball. He said it was a 2 inch and HE placed my ball into the coupler when I backed up. Now, it won't come off. Only way I could move my vehicle was to disengage the ball rod ( I forgot the correct name) from the vehicle's receiver. That was some kind of fun.

Oh well, enough from me. Glad to be here. Hope I can learn some new things from you all... rich

Hey Richg99.....welcome to TinBoats. You're gonna love it here. Have any questions....don't hesitate to ask. Someone will chime in. Then again, with 20 boats come and gone....maybe we should be asking you some questions. :mrgreen:

Glad to have you here.

fender.,,,,,thanks..... As far as asking about boats...by now...I have figured out how to buy and sell them. But, somehow, every one I buy.... I think it is going to be the LAST boat I ever buy. Then, a year or two later ( or sometimes less) I find something about it that says it has to go. I've kept houses; cars and my wife for a long time....but...not my boats???

Anyhow, glad to find a new friendly place here. Regards, rich

p.s. Oh yes .... somehow my typing and the "printing" on this page has a "lag". That doesn't happen on my other sites.. am I doing something wrong here? RG

Bassgeek....re the price on motors....you'd be surprised at how many small; old; unused o/b motors there are sitting in someone's garage or basement. Keep asking everyone you know...someone will have one.

Grandpa dies; no one in the family needs it...so they put it in the back of the garage. and let it sit there. I'd check out garage sales and estate sales every weekend. Go on Thursday if you can and get the good stuff.

You may have to tinker with it, but I'll bet you can find one for a low price. Rich

somehow my typing and the "printing" on this page has a "lag". That doesn't happen on my other sites.. am I doing something wrong here? RG

This is one that I don't think I've seen before. No idea what it could be. Which browser are you using?

richg99 said:
I am using internet explorer and it works everywhere else???? No big deal....I should type slower, I guess. Rich
Hmmm I'm NOT an IT guy and I don't use IE so I have no idea. Hopefully, someone else can provide some insight??? Sorry.

Here is my "new to me " ten year old 160W Lowe....all rigged up as a bass boat. Wonder how she will handle our shallow salt flats here in South Texas?

Right now, she is at my favorite mechanic getting a good once over. Just to be sure I am not left paddling her back. My old back wouldn't like that much. regards, Rich

5218955263_08ec9762c7_m.jpg

I am out from Bend, Oregon. I started a modification of my 14' Western aluminum V-Bottom. I am going to use the Boat to do a little crabbing in some of the coastal bays, and also fish for some Big Browns in our many lakes.

Hello all, Phishinfool2 is the handle (duh)

Live on the west coast in the San Fran Bay Area.

Work in the Fresh fruits and veggie industry.

Enjoy fishing the high mountain lakes for the beautiful fat trout and German browns.

Looks like most of the peeps here are in the midwest or east coast.

Dont post a alot especially during the cold months as my favorite lakes are under a foot to four of ice.

Well thats about it, I lead a fairly boring life I guess. Just had to register and say Hi.

Jumbo

Hey Phishinfool2
:WELCOME: to TinBoats. Glad to have you here. Nothing is boring when you can fish. :D Hope to see you around.

Latest posts