New Member - New Boat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds Good

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and add my boat project to the list of great boats here. I found this site totally by accident a couple weeks ago when I was searching for ideas on mods for my 14' Jon Boat. This site is a great source of information for every aspect of aluminum boats.

A friend of mine gave me the boat because he wanted it out of his yard (he already has 2 others). It was definitely an old fixer-upper. The existing decks were rotten and the thing was about 4 inches deep in leaf debris. I started by stripping everything electrical off it and tearing out the old front casting deck that was built on it. Then I cleaned it up and started one of the hardest jobs I've done in a long time... I sanded the whole thing down to bare aluminum and coated the hull with bed liner. I forgot to take any pictures of this stage of the process, even though I spent about 2 solid weeks doing it.

When the liner set up, I flipped it back over and started work on the inside. I decided to build the frame for the decks out of angle aluminum instead of wood to cut down on weight. Here's what my frame looked like in the early stages...

14025968044_5e324b8b73_c.jpg

14025968144_625fb4a44a_c.jpg

14022319542_a4aa440691_c.jpg

14025967664_b5dd1e19af_c.jpg

After I finished the frame and got it all laid out like I want, I sanded the inside and used some self etching primer to coat the whole thing... (MUCH easier than stripping down to the bare aluminum)

14002407896_cf5909db40_c.jpg

14002407856_063ca8761a_c.jpg

14002407816_a57cf3faee_c.jpg

14002407726_b161c48e67_c.jpg

Yesterday, I started coating the inside with bed liner too. This is mainly to protect everything a little better and make cleaning it up easier.

14025967854_4dffeb0c75_c.jpg

14025521065_b805d02de7_c.jpg

14025967834_0111c9d825_c.jpg

It may not look it, but that aluminum angle frame is solid as a rock. I've already got all my decks cut and I've laid them in place and got up on it and jumped around... believe me, she's Reddy Fer It! For those of you that don't know me, I go around 6'2" and 250 lbs any day of the week. If I can jump around on it and it not move, it's gonna make a good 'un for sure.

I'm gonna end up with at least 8 good storage compartments plus a compartment for batteries and a gas can. I've got storage for rods and my handy-dandy jug retrieval stick I built. A few other goodies that are gonna get built into it.... Switch/fuse panel, LED interior lights, front headlights, fish finder, stereo, and an electric winch for raising/lowering the anchor and getting me out of a tough spot should I ever need it.

I'll keep posting updated photos as the build process goes on.

Welcome abaord mate :D

SG Project looks awsome coming along :D I too used aluminum framing on my front deck, I'm 5'11" at 250# :wink:

what size aluminum angle did ya use?-I used 1" X 1/8

Your rod holders are sweet, I liked to consider that next time.

How wide is the 14'?

and are you going all electric or half-n- half?

yea diffently keep us posted :D

Thanks, I'm ignorant when it comes to boat terminology and I don't really know where to measure the width... it's 36" across the bottom and about 52" at the top at it's widest point.

I used mostly 3/4" x 1/8, but I used some 1" x 1/8 in some places that needed more support (under the seat mount)

The boat came with a small pull start outboard motor, but I don't intend on running it very often. I probably won't even put it on the boat unless I know I'm headed to a big lake. I'm going with a 12v setup with parallel batteries to run everything. TM will be 42lb bow mount.

Sounds Good said:
Thanks, I'm ignorant when it comes to boat terminology and I don't really know where to measure the width... it's 36" across the bottom and about 52" at the top at it's widest point.

I used mostly 3/4" x 1/8, but I used some 1" x 1/8 in some places that needed more support (under the seat mount)

The boat came with a small pull start outboard motor, but I don't intend on running it very often. I probably won't even put it on the boat unless I know I'm headed to a big lake. I'm going with a 12v setup with parallel batteries to run everything. TM will be 42lb bow mount.

sounds like a 1436(the floor is 36), thats what I've got-its a 1973, good boats and make nice project ones too :lol:

I'm mainly electric-I do have a gas one but theres only two lakes close by that allow for gas, so I don't bother with it too much at all, I was given an old OMC foot controll and I put it on the bow, I then put the 55# hand MK on the transom, been kicken around a live well I dea and problably be posting soon about it for ideas and feed back. well once again keep us posted on the project-enjoy

looks like u r doin a good job on the boat. =D> but if thats bed liner on the outside of the boat then ur gona lose speed because the bed liner will create drag on the boat witch will make it a slow moving boat :( but it u done a great job on it looks professional :beer:

team e-fishin-c said:
looks like u r doin a good job on the boat. =D> but if thats bed liner on the outside of the boat then ur gona lose speed because the bed liner will create drag on the boat witch will make it a slow moving boat :( but it u done a great job on it looks professional :beer:

Thanks, but it's not built for speed. The kind of fishing I do is glorified pond hopping. I rarely am in water bigger than 5-10 acres, so little bursts on the trolling motor will be all the speed she likely ever sees.

Steathly...looks real nice.Are those holes in one side for rod holders,even if yours aren't I might "borrrow" that idea and give it a try.Do you know if the some type of rubber insert to put in the drilled hole afterwards to protect the butt of the rods?

Super Job! Man I wish you had posted a few days earlier (sigh). I started my framing a couple of days ago. I decided to use 3/4 and 1" tubing instead of angle for fear the angle might not support my 6'4" 270lbs. After seeing your frame and reading that yours is solid I sure wish I had used angle. Tubing is a lot harder to work with than angle when you don't have the tools... oh well I am always a day late and dollars short.
Your boat is looking really good. I am looking forward to pics of your project.

Zum said:
Steathly...looks real nice.Are those holes in one side for rod holders,even if yours aren't I might "borrrow" that idea and give it a try.Do you know if the some type of rubber insert to put in the drilled hole afterwards to protect the butt of the rods?

Yeah, they are rod holders. Look in the first couple of pictures, they are going to have PVC pipe run all the way to the front for the rods to lay in. Then I'll strap them to the side of the boat where they hang out.

phased said:
Super Job! Man I wish you had posted a few days earlier (sigh). I started my framing a couple of days ago. I decided to use 3/4 and 1" tubing instead of angle for fear the angle might not support my 6'4" 270lbs. After seeing your frame and reading that yours is solid I sure wish I had used angle. Tubing is a lot harder to work with than angle when you don't have the tools... oh well I am always a day late and dollars short.
Your boat is looking really good. I am looking forward to pics of your project.

I was worried about it at first, but once I got it all put together, the frame seems just as strong as the ribs of the boat are.

I finished up all the coating last night and it has set up all day and it's hard as armor. I'm about to order carpet and electrical supplies so I can get started on all the finish work.

Waterwings said:
Welcome Aboard! Nice rig and a lot of work already into it. When you get around to doing the LED lights, please consider checking out https://www.bluewaterled.com/, who is a site sponsor. He's got some nice stuff!

I wish I had known about this site a couple of weeks ago when I ordered my LED's. I'm happy with what I have, but after looking at Blue Water LED, I see that I could have gotten a lot more for what I paid at another site. Oh well, all I have so far is lights for the deck, I'm sure I'll be needing some lights for my storage compartments before too long and I'll be sure to get them from Blue Water!

Nice job thus far!! I to decided to frame with aluminum angle, 1 1/4", it might be a little over kill, but I was able to get a good price. I also used the pvc tubing for rod holders, but my layout is more like the traditional bass boat, meaning they are all on one side. After seeing your's I wish I would have done it that way to more evenly distribute weight.

Sounds Good said:
Do you know if the some type of rubber insert to put in the drilled hole afterwards to protect the butt of the rods?

I've racking my brain on trying to figure this out aswell, if you come up with an idea make sure and post it. I most likely will have to infringe on your trademark :?

Crank'in

Crank'in said:
Nice job thus far!! I to decided to frame with aluminum angle, 1 1/4", it might be a little over kill, but I was able to get a good price. I also used the pvc tubing for rod holders, but my layout is more like the traditional bass boat, meaning they are all on one side. After seeing your's I wish I would have done it that way to more evenly distribute weight.

Sounds Good said:
Do you know if the some type of rubber insert to put in the drilled hole afterwards to protect the butt of the rods?

I've racking my brain on trying to figure this out aswell, if you come up with an idea make sure and post it. I most likely will have to infringe on your trademark :?

Crank'in

How about something like a rubber grommet that will cover the rough edges of the metal and protect the rod handles? Found a link that shows a pic of what I'm thinking of. Only problem is this company has a $25 minimum order. Just a thought concerning the grommets :wink:

https://www.delcity.net/delcity/ser...=208&childid=44322&page=1&pageitem=5&tabset=1

Waterwings said:
Crank'in said:

Sounds Good said:

Crank'in

How about something like a rubber grommet that will cover the rough edges of the metal and protect the rod handles? Found a link that shows a pic of what I'm thinking of. Only problem is this company has a $25 minimum order. Just a thought concerning the grommets :wink:

https://www.delcity.net/delcity/ser...=208&childid=44322&page=1&pageitem=5&tabset=1

I ran PVC pipe all the way through that was big enough for the rod to fit in...

IMG_681711.jpg

Thanks Waterwings for the thought, but I too ran my tubing so runs all the way through the bench. I was thinking more along the lines of a 'rubber cap' that really isn't a cap :? . Meaning I want to soften the inside edge of the pvc tubing so I don't scrape rods and such as there are sliding in and out. I was thinking of routering the inside of the tubing so it;s not a square edge and more rounded or beveled.... Just a thought.

Crank'in

I'm going to finish off the ends of each pipe with a coupler. It's a little larger and the ends are already rounded off and have no sharp edges or burrs.