New member. New post. Old topic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MississippiRiverRat

Reaction score
What's up guys. Been loitering around here for a while now stealing a few ideas and picking up a few new designs and methods of doing this and that. Not to mention doing a ton of admiring of y'all's projects. I'm not really what you'd call a hardcore fisherman by any means,( now hunting is a different story), but I really enjoy getting out on the rivers around northwest mississippi where I live. I sold a pretty decent 1436 flat bottom a couple years ago for a little extra pocket change and now I regret it.

My paw- in-law has the same boat but it's in much MUCH worse shape than mine was. We thought we'd take on a project over the winter and get her all dolled up before warmer spring temps get here and we can get back on the water. The boat has several leaky rivets and one major crack in the hull up front in the seam where the front slope up to the rail and the flat bottom meet. Keep in mind we 're not looking to spend a ton of cash on this thing, basically just want it to float (and not leak of course)

I've looked at a few epoxies and want you guys' input on the best bang for the buck. I know 5200 is some pretty good stuff haven't really checked on price on that, found gflex from west systems but it's like 20-25 bucks for 4 oz. I just want your 2 cents on which would be better for sealing up the crack and leaking rivets on this project. Like I said I don't want to spend a fortune on anything, just want to stop the water

Depending on the size of the leaky spots, the sealant can work if you clean the surface and you let it set up and cure. Putting it on the inside and the outside is best. The fiction of the rushing water on the exterior will gradually wear it away, but it will stay put for quite a while.

The crack, again depending on how big it is and if it continues to flex, will probably be best repaired by a TIG welder. You need someone who knows what they are doing to do it, as the aluminum heats up quickly.

Thanks for the input scout. I don't really know any welders anymore, best guy in mississippi passed away a few years ago, but there is a marine repair shop in town that I was going to ask about it. Figured they'd want an arm and maybe 2 legs though. Which sealer did you mean? 5200 or gflex? I'm sure there's a lot more out there that I just haven't run across also

Latest posts