New Oil Seals are smaller ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monriverguy

Reaction score
I am tring to replace the lower unit oil seal on my 1964 28 hp evinrude i ordered a Kit but the new seals are only half as thick as the original ones will they work ??? Please Help

Thanks to all

Attachments

• P5200202.JPG
    P5200202.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 504
Yes, I run into this all the time working as a mechanic. You order a part and the part shows up and looks nothing like what came out of it. Fifty years from now when you change them again don't expect it to look like your new seal. :LOL2:

Also you might be able to set the seal on a new part of the shaft away from the old groove worn into the shaft.

ok that is the prop shaft seal so does the spring face the oil or the water in my mind it looks like it should face the water to keep the water out ?? i am a newbe so i am not sure any help please

monriverguy said:
ok that is the prop shaft seal so does the spring face the oil or the water in my mind it looks like it should face the water to keep the water out ?? i am a newbe so i am not sure any help please

The spring will be on the inside with the oil. If it was on the outside the water would rust it away in no time. It is the same as a wheel bearing seal on a trailer would be.

thank you for the help i will try to install seal in the morning wish me luck......

Latest posts