NEWB Needs advice: 1961 Evinrude Sportwin 10hp Model 10022

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandon said:
Update: Carb kit arrives this afternoon :)

Question: When I took the carb off of the motor, I noticed that inside the bowl(which is glass), the threaded disc that holds the float? up was loose. (I wish I had a picture of it at the moment but dont). The disc is threaded which screws onto the nozzle? Should this be tight up against the float?

Do I have this correct? If need be I will post pictures later today. Thanks!

Nevermind! Once the rebuild kit got here I was able to figure out everything. Now....time to rebuild the carb.

That clear bowl is a filter housing. That is probably a sintered filter held on by a serrated thumb wheel. Make sure that filter is very clean. You may want to go back down to your friendly NAPA store again and invest in a big paint can size of Carb Cleaner. I have a feeling that once you get this one going there will be another you want to try your hand at. Pretty soon you will be joining the likes of me over at the Antique Outboard Assoc. or www.aomci.org
Make sure you remove the packings from around where the adjustment needle(s) went.

Pappy said:
That clear bowl is a filter housing. That is probably a sintered filter held on by a serrated thumb wheel. Make sure that filter is very clean. You may want to go back down to your friendly NAPA store again and invest in a big paint can size of Carb Cleaner. I have a feeling that once you get this one going there will be another you want to try your hand at. Pretty soon you will be joining the likes of me over at the Antique Outboard Assoc. or https://www.aomci.org
Make sure you remove the packings from around where the adjustment needle(s) went.

Yeah the filter in the bowl is very clean. I havnt opened the carb up yet and am scared to see the condition of the float. I cant find replacements anywhere. My plan is to disassemble the carb and let the parts soak in carb cleaner tomorrow.

Just finished rebuilding the carb! The old packing washers around the needles were a son of a gun to get out. Other than that the rebuild went smooth. Oh and the float was in presinte condition! Now if the coils and tune up kit would hurry up and arrive :LOL2:

Installed the freshly rebuilt carb today. My tune-up kit arrived, got everything replaced in the magneto which was pretty simple. I installed the flywheel and got everything put back together.

SHE STARTED!!!!

Need some advice on tunning the carb. I tried everything and every time i put her in forward and tried to rev the engine it sputters really bad...i bring the throttle back down and it runs good.

like pappy said, built to last! and with routine maintnance that motor will be running when most of us are on the big lake in the sky......