1956 Evinrude Lark 30 HP Tear down

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll keep Piomarine's thread from sinking completely out of sight... I know he's busy as a teacher.

He sent me his hood to be repainted.
IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

At first glance it looked pretty rough. But once I got it taken apart and sanded down it's actually in really good shape... no filler or body work needed:

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

A couple guide coats with etching primer and some more sanding and it's looking factory fresh:

IMG_3962.JPG

JIBY0828.JPG

XHPW7405.JPG

Plan is to try to duplicate this as close as we can:
NDTT9807.JPG

Other examples on line have all been repainted or the gold has faded away...
HPIM1969.JPG

FPPX7839.JPG

Can anyone confirm that the gold on the front door actually did come that way from the factory ?... I know gold paint from that era faded quickly like a Scott Atwater gold pennant motor...

This is a good match .... not too shiny...

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7275830-Stops-Metallic-Burnished/dp/B000MRS1YI/ref=pd_lpo_60_t_2/144-3072521-7227121?

I just put together my needed parts list, now I’m just trying to figure out how to pay for it lol. I’m looking at about $250 in replacement parts just to get it running with manual start. The electric start set up will add to that. I am going to work from the bottom up. Rebuild the gear case with all new seals and get the lower unit put back together. I will then work on the crank case, get it cleaned up real good and replace all of the gaskets and rubber. Then I’m thinking the magneto, and finishing it off with the carb rebuild.

I managed to find OEM parts for most of it, but there are some that just don’t exist as OEM parts anymore and for those I will probably go with the Sierra parts. For others I managed to find NOS but the price was so outrageously high that Sierra became the more cost effective option. I can give a more detailed list tomorrow. It’s on my work computer.

Detail work done. Absolutely brutal painting 4 colors with raw edges on stainless steel. I can't imagine how this got done in production...
Once these are clear coated they'll look like jewels...

IMG_3992.JPG

NROY8434.JPG

A few days for the paint to completely cure and it will be ready to send back.
IMG_4048.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_E4038.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

All I can say is that boat better be spit polished or that motor is going to make it look like a turd!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I think most things were pretty glossy back in those days. If you look at good quality films of new cars they have mirror shines. I don't think it lasted long though. Unlike outboards, most cars were made to last only a few years before they rusted out, so the paint technology didn't need to be like paints are today.

A restored motor will never be exactly like it was 65 years ago no matter what you do. But what it can do is recreate some of that beauty and pride of ownership that you must have felt when you put down a months wages for one of these things.

When I make a boat or a motor I want to build a "time machine".... that's what this game is all about for me.

Ok so it’s been months since I’ve even logged on here but I wanted to give some updates. Work on the Lark ground to a screeching halt back in February when we found out that we are expecting baby number 2! The motor’s priority fell even further in March when we found that baby number 3 was also hiding in there with number 2!!!!! 3 weeks after we found out about the twins I officially enlisted in the Texas Army National Guard after 10 years of civilian life post Marine Corps. Worked all summer to help bolster the savings for the babies arrival and then school started up again (I’m a high school teacher). We finally closed on our house and now own the house we’ve been living in for the last 2 years. We are now officially on baby watch! The boys should be here within the next 6-8 weeks at most.

All of that to say life has had other plans for me and the Lark had to shift to the bottom of the priorities list. I have still kept it lubricated and give it a spin from time to time, but the new parts budget had to be reallocated elsewhere! I wish I had more motor related news to share but I don’t and such is life sometimes!

P.S.: We are both excited and terrified about the arrival of the twins…seriously!!!

Congrats ! Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans....