Newbie with 1979 Tracker II

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonroeBobo

Reaction score
Hi

I have been reading this forum on and off for a few years now. I believe this is my first post. A few years ago I had a 1432 Delhi jon boat an used ideas from this forum to do a few things to it. Nothing major though. I have enjoyed and learned a ton from reading these forums. While I am very good with wood, I am an absolute amateur when it comes to metal. So this project am starting is going to be learn as you go learning process.
2 years ago I was browsing Craigslist and ran up on a 1979 Bass Tracker II 16' 42" wide at the floor with the original 40HP 402 mercury motor. It took me over a month to call about it and go look at it cause the ad said it was a project and did not run. Of course there wasn't a picture. Got there and it looked rough but the floor and decks were solid but the carpet was in bad shape. I assumed the motor was trash. It had mostly just been neglected. He wanted $650 for it and I ended up getting it for $450. I was thinking cool. Got it home put a new gas tank and fuel line on and guess what?? It fired up. After it fired, I was thinking wayyyy coool. I have been using it over the last two, just as I got it. I did put another trolling motor, depth finder and batteries from my old 1432. I tuned it up. The biggest problem I had was the tab on the block that had the mounting hole for the starter had been cracked and it eventually broke. I fabricated (I use the term fabricated loosely) a couple of stiff steel bars that mount to other parts of the motor to brace the starter. With some tweeking, I got it to hold and work well enough, that I have left it this way for the last year or so without any issues. The boat is a little smaller than I would like and the motor doesn't have T&T. But overall I am pleased that I ran across it.
After 2 years I decided to keep her and do a makeover. I am not in a real hurry, but I would like to get her done in a month or two. I only have one before picture and a few I took yesterday since I rip the decking, transom, and motor off. I have it down to just the boat and the bracing. The transom was an absolute bear to get out. It had some corner caps that were welded. I cut them them off and kind of made a mess of them. I have a friend that has been a welder all his life and I am thinking he can make them presentable again. I hope. Also I went to AKMcallum last week ,which is a little over an hour away, to see what they have in stock. I was surprised. They have nearly everything you would need to redo a jon boat. Since that trip I have picked up the plywood for the transom, long handled rivet gun, some aluminum rivets, Spar Urethane and misc things I will be needing. I have made a list and have tentative plan on what I want to do.
I am going to make some aluminum bracing for the deck. I want to use aluminum for the decking. The decking is going to be some real $$$$$$. I found smooth 4x8 sheets of .125 or 1/8" decking for $175 a sheet I may purchase. I went to a scrap yard and got 14 sticks of 1" X 6' tubing for $65. I thought that was a good deal compared to Lowes or HD. The scrap yard also had some four 4'X5' aluminum diamond plate sheets for $360. As much as I have learned from reading ,I still have a couple of questions and would like to hear some opinions and possible alternatives.

1. Even though I haven't rules it out, I really don't want to put carpet down. I like the idea of diamond plate since it already has a texture and I can simply paint it and go fishing. But If I go with the smooth sheets or the sheets of diamond plate material, I will be left with a lot of scrap. My deck would be 5'6" in rear deck and over 5' for a portion of the front deck and the smooth sheets is 4' wide and the diamond plate is 5' wide. Or is there a way to piece this together so it will be seamless to the eye???

2. I inserted a picture of the tubing I purchased. It is really thick walled stuff and I mean it is rigid. Does all aluminum tubing have walls that are as thick as these????

3 Other than welding the tubing together, what would be the best way to put the tubing together for the deck extensions??? I was thinking either self tapping screws and corner or flat brackets(assuming the walls of the tubing aren't to thick) or self locking nuts and bolts.

4. Just curious. Do you think a 40hp Yamaha would be to much weight on the back of this boat????

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I am sure I will have more questions in the near future.

Thanks Randy

Attachments

• Misc 1 use 008.JPG
    Misc 1 use 008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 733
  • Boat 002.JPG
    Boat 002.JPG
    647.8 KB · Views: 733
  • March 2012 231.JPG
    March 2012 231.JPG
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 733
  • March 2012 233.JPG
    March 2012 233.JPG
    692.8 KB · Views: 733
  • March 2012 234.JPG
    March 2012 234.JPG
    690.2 KB · Views: 733
  • March 2012 235.JPG
    March 2012 235.JPG
    745.9 KB · Views: 733
  • March 2012 236.JPG
    March 2012 236.JPG
    732.2 KB · Views: 733
  • March 2012 240.JPG
    March 2012 240.JPG
    765.3 KB · Views: 733
Nice boat! It looks a lot like my 81 fisher when I bought it. My came with a 45HP on the back. The cap plate says rated for up to 60.