Night Fishing... 7/18 - 19

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ010

Reaction score
I haven't been on in the last few days because most of my time has been spent on the water and in the bed. Friday night a buddy of mine and I went out to Carter's Re-Regulation pool to do some prefishing for his tournament that occurred last night. We didn't fish the tourney together, but I fished with another guy.

Friday night was the best fishing I had had all year. Our best 5 went around 12lbs, and I think we had about 10, almost all were keepers. The guy I'm fishing with is a member of tinboats (I think his screen name would be MerkyWaters), but I'm not positive that's him.

I think my best 5 went around 8lbs, and for the life of me I can't remember any of their weights, but I know 3 of them were over 2lbs.. and he caught the biggest at 3.14. We started fishing around 7pm and quit at 3am. Needless to say, I hit the bed hard when I got home and planned to sleep til atleast 11, but like clock work, people started calling at 9am and I was up.

DSCF1216.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

Last night was their tournament.. They only had 5 boats show up, but it was still a good gathering. We fished 6:30pm - 1:30am. And just like the night before, atleast for me, they were still shallow (3-8') and on rocks. If I'm not mistaken, we've had a full moon, and last night was the 3rd night after the full moon which from everything I've ever heard, the best fishing is 3 days before and 3 days after that phase. The full moon in July is when I've heard that the crawfish hatch their eggs... needless to say, I threw jigs all night long both nights, and it paid off. We ended up winning the tournament with 5 fish, and those best 5 went for 8.66lbs. 2nd place came in at 8lbs flat, but they had a hawg - 5.99lbs.... but they only had 3 fish. They had a HUGE crawfish in their livewell that I'm pretty sure that big boy regurgitated. It was probably 5-6" long and it was green. Same thing I was using. You can check out the SWAT guys tournament page to see a pic of our fish. I had about 6 fish all night, with 4 keepers. My partner I think had 4 fish, with 2 keepers that we weighed in. The ones I caught were 2.6, 2.4 and 2lbs - with 2 of those being largemouth (I'm holding them in the pics) and Kevin is holding the larger spot (this is a lake known for spots). You can see pics of the fish we caught and all here -https://smallwateranglerteams.webs.com/cartersrereg71809.htm. I'll try to get a bigger pic, or maybe merkywaters can post it. You'll see the winners say Kevin and Dustin - well, I was Dustin since he couldn't fish it.

Here are updated pics from the night...

7-18tournament004.jpg

7-18tournament001.jpg

I had a blast as well!
Next time I will put a hat on so that way I will not damage your camera. By the way I think i got some Moon burn.

russ,
I need seem teaching on this image adding button. I do not use photobucket or anything so how would I still post them? I will send you a email with the tourney photos so you can have them.

Who are you and what did you do with Russ? There's no signature orange hat?

Sounds like a great fishing trip. I haven't been night fishing in ages but hope I get in one trip before summer's over.

Interesting about the crawfish hatch info. I was over at my step dad's pond this evening trying to get at least get a little fishing in and caught a 6lb cat on a green Paca Craw so maybe there's something to that.

poolie said:
Who are you and what did you do with Russ? There's no signature orange hat?

Haha - that was still a clemson hat - but it was my Visor. When I wear that light on the brim, it's a lot easier on my noggin when I wear the visor for some reason. Guess I'll have to find me an orange visor now....

Merky - just email it to me - [email protected] .. if you look below the box you type in when responding to a thread, there's another box where you can attach a file. Browse to it and then click on "Add File". It might be too big though, then it would have to go through something like photobucket

just updated the first post with pictures from the night tournament if anyone is interested

Great job guys. I haven't tried much night fishing before, but after seeing your pics I think I may give it a try. =D>

lizard drager said:
hey now i no why ive never seen ol merky with out a hat on :D :D

[-X Hey now lets be nice! Its also the reason why im faster sometimes...i just take my hat and and the drag is mysteriously gone!

Merkywaters said:
lizard drager said:
hey now i no why ive never seen ol merky with out a hat on :D :D

[-X Hey now lets be nice! Its also the reason why im faster sometimes...i just take my hat and and the drag is mysteriously gone!

I told him be better put it back on because of the moon beams... but in all honesty, I wish I didn't have a bit of hair on top of my head - I have to shave it weekly, or atleast once per week or I start getting wolfy