Option to cleats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I have one cleat up front to tie off the anchor rope.
I wanted to install 3 more cleats so I would have one on each corner of the boat.
However, I am thinking that I shouldn't really need a cleat on the boat itself, just four separate ropes in each corner to tie to the dock.
Instead of installing the cleats, would it make more sense to install some type of ring or other hardware to merely tie one end of the rope to?
Is there a valid reason for having a cleat on the boat for tying to a dock?

I don't have any cleats.
Just something else to trip over or bang my knee on.

Waterwings said:
I only have one cleat that I installed on the stbd bow, and it's only for securing the anchor line to.

Same here.
If you want to tie up to a dock, do you have rope tied to something on the boat?

I have one of the finger looking things to wrap the anchor line through when I want it anchored short, the bitter end it tied off. I have another line tied around the front handle with a loop at the end for holding onto the boat. I ground beach the boat, no docks here, but when I did put in at one I tied off to the front and had the kid keep the stern out so others could access the dock.

Jamie

sirbeigealot said:
Waterwings said:
I only have one cleat that I installed on the stbd bow, and it's only for securing the anchor line to.

Same here.
If you want to tie up to a dock, do you have rope tied to something on the boat?

I've only tied-off to a dock once, and I tied one end of a line to the cleat on the front, and then ran a stern line through the factory installed u-bolt on the transom, that is for the trailer tie-down straps. Worked great. :)

The reason I ask is because I launched into an ocean marina Saturday (first launch) and we had to tie to a dock after the boat was in the water while a parked the trailer.
I figure we will be doing alot of marinas so I guess I'll be tying to docks regularly.

I kept a bow line up in the front anchor locker, with a large aluminum beaner attached. When docking, or tying to a tree, or whatever, I just hooked the clip to the bow eye, and the line could work in any direction. The few times I've ever tied to a dock longer than a few minutes (and thereby wanted the rig fastened from both ends), I'd use another line in the stern eye on that particular side. I've always had cleats in all four corners, but never have found them useful.

bassboy1 said:
I kept a bow line up in the front anchor locker, with a large aluminum beaner attached. When docking, or tying to a tree, or whatever, I just hooked the clip to the bow eye, and the line could work in any direction. The few times I've ever tied to a dock longer than a few minutes (and thereby wanted the rig fastened from both ends), I'd use another line in the stern eye on that particular side. I've always had cleats in all four corners, but never have found them useful.

Thats what I was thinking...I bought 3 more cleats to put one at each corner, but actually the rope will be coming from the boat, so why would I need a cleat on the boat to tie to?

Latest posts