OUTBOARD MOTOR Q....PLEASE HELP!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippyo

Reaction score
So I'm selling off my 1982 Mariner 30hp, and if all goes well It'll be sold on Sunday. Now, of course, I'll be getting a new motor, pending the sale of mine, and I've found several very nice used motors on Craigslist. One of them is a 1996 25hp Suzuki with electric start (AMAZINGLY good price). So, naturally, I have a few questions for the more savvy boaters.

(1) Are Suzuki's good running reliable motors?

(2) Are there any known issues specifically with Suzuki outboards?

(3) Will a 1996 25hp have more power than a '82 30hp (I've heard that newer motors have more power than older motors of similar size)

Any help will be appreciated!!

The other motors I found was a 30hp Yamaha w/e-start, and a 1990 Johnson 30hp w/e-start. All the motors I listed in this post are between $1000 - $1300. Thanks again for any help!!

Cant help you much on that era suzuki as ive never known anybody that runs one. The new suzuki 4 strokes are staring to get a small following bit the older 2 strokes are rare around here. As for a 96 25hp having more power than a 82 30hp its possible depending on conditio of motors. I think it was some time in the early 80s that manufacturers started rating at the prop as apposed to at the powerhead. If it were me I would look at the johnson or yamaha 2 stroke beacuse I think parts will be easier to find and cheaper. I personally prefer yamaha 2 strokes since i have had such good luck with them.