Outriggers/Stabilizers for my 1032 Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tincansailor said:
I made some for my 1432 Alumacraft out of 4" pvc pipe. I cut one length in half, put a 45 elbow on one end of each peice and capped both ends of each. I used a piece of 3/4" conduit that I placed across the boat just behind teh middle seat. I put a cleat on the rib that was behind that seat which I used to tie the piece of conduit. The conduit extends 2' from each side of boat. The pvc pipe rides just on top of the water. These have made all the difference in the world. I made these for about $20. I took some pictures of them but do not know how to post them on here. Good luck.

Hey tincansailor, I'm interested in seeing your photos. Maybe you can email them to me and I'll post them on this thread for you. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

I used bad1's design to build myself some outriggers just like his. I decided to put a wood dowel rod down each long tube to make it a little less flexible. I'll probably end up shortening these a bit, I'll experiment with that to see how short I can go to get the stability I'm looking for.

I'll be bolting these onto the side of an old 12' semi-v in hopes of making it rock a little less when I'm out with the kids and they are bouncing around :)

H6Y0p.png

fBqM5.png

I have built a set for my canoe rebuild project as well as a cheap push pole. For floats the easest cheapiest thing is walmarts four inch diameter pool noodles (4 dollars a piece). Since they have a hole already thru the center which you can stuff a 1 inch piece of PVC thru for support. It has a very snug fit. The other nice thing with them is you can cut and shape quickly. And of course if they go bad there not hard to replace. At the end of the link is a picture of the canoe and the floats. I can tell you without them my 16 foot 30 inch wide canoe is kind of scary with two adults and a 4 year old but with the floats both my son and i can stand up with out going over.

https://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1267501666/22#22

When I know I'll need them, I have two 8' inflatable pontoons that attach to d rings fore and aft on my boat (and canoe). I use an air mattress pump to blow them up once I get out on the lake. It's a kids thing. Almost impossible to swamp. However, once they're in place, movement is limited to the 1 setting on my small electric minn kota. The pontoons roll up and fit in a medium size duffel for storage and portage.

I built some pvc pipe floats for my 1432 jon boat friday night. I took it out saturday morning, they worked faily good. I think I need to use 6" or 8" pvc. I used 4" and they work but boat is still a little tippy while trying to walk from back to front to throw traps. Just being able to stand up is a big improvement. The way I mouted them you screw them to the top of the boat so there are no screw holes anywhere near the water line and if you don't like it there are onlt five small screw holes in the top rail on each side that can be filled with silicone or something. The way I built it you can stow the floats for moving or while loading and on the trailer. Once in the water you can pull the pins and the floats pop out to the sides at a limited rage so that they have pressure on them to keep side to side roll at a minimum. as I said they work really good. In the out positon it doesn't show it but there is a rope to limit how far out the float will travel.

Attachments

• 2012-06-15 21.51.21.jpg
    2012-06-15 21.51.21.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,588
  • 2012-06-15 21.49.53.jpg
    2012-06-15 21.49.53.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,588