Pet Peeve

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really have anything negative to say. But I am reading your boat ramp horror stories :shock:. Man! I cant believe some people. haha. I suppose I have it good and never realized it. Where I launch my boat there is 3 in ramps & 3 out, and maybe 8 vehicles at most in the lot. Perhaps you guys can live vicariously thru me? =P~

lovedr79 said:
I have experienced all of the above ramp situations, my favorite was the family lounging in the ramp. I asked them to move, they said they were there first...... The kids promptly ran off when my truck and trailer started down the ramp. She didn't move, I managed to get the trailer around her, pull boat all the while she was screaming I was trying to back over her. For some reason all of our public ramps are singles, which adds to the frustration.

One thing I've learned in my short time wandering this flooded rock - stubborn people will move when hit with a large enough object. The smart one's move first, the others - well - sometimes experience hurts.

:roll:

The one thing that really bugs me, though is knowing that hornet's nest of stupidity will be left alone with my vehicle and trailer when I've left the ramp. (Note to self, take the work truck...)

lovedr79 said:
I have experienced all of the above ramp situations, my favorite was the family lounging in the ramp. I asked them to move, they said they were there first...... The kids promptly ran off when my truck and trailer started down the ramp. She didn't move, I managed to get the trailer around her, pull boat all the while she was screaming I was trying to back over her. For some reason all of our public ramps are singles, which adds to the frustration.

That's right, it's called a boat ramp, not a people ramp.
Say it with me, "Boooat ramp."

It's unfortunate that stupid people like that can continue to breed. #-o

Watch the movie Idiocracy if you haven't already seen it. I think it gives Nostradamus a run for his money on predictions.

One of the funniest stupid ramp tricks I've ever seen...
I come around the corner of the lake to the ramp to take my boat out, and there's a guy parked in the middle of the ramp, halfway in the water, working on his motor. He's got tools laid all over the back deck, and is oblivious to the fact (or didn't care) that there's about 2 or 3 boats in the water waiting to take out, and probably 4-5 trucks at the top waiting to get in. So I cut the motor and and wait on this Bozo for probably 10 minutes, by which time most of the other boats have given up and gone down the lake by now, so I figure I'll just beach it beside the ramp and get in line with the rest of the trucks. About the time I touch shore, I look up and there's this BIG guy stomping down the ramp toward the ramp-blocker. This guy was BIG...I mean I'm 6'5" and 250lbs, but this guy was BIG. He walks up to the guy and yells "PUT IT IN THE @#$%!&# WATER OR PUT IT IN THE @#$%!&# LOT!!!" The guy on the boat jumped straight up in the air, came down in the water up to his waist, waded/ran to his truck, pulled up the ramp, thru the lot, out into the road and leaves!!! I almost fell over laughing.
As we're walking up the ramp, the big guy looked over at me, then at my boat, and said "I'm guessing you know how to load that?" when I said "yep," he said "let's get this done." Now this is a skinny ramp, barely fits 2 trucks, and even then there's like 3" between. He backed his down one side, me down the other, he jumped in his boat, I jumped in mine, he unloaded, I loaded, he pulled out, I pulled out. Whole thing didn't take 5 minutes. When we were pulling back up the ramp, the guys waiting to drop their boats were giving us a standing ovation. Pretty funny.

No peeves for me this is by far the best forum on the net

Love reading yalls ramp horror storys, luckily we don't live near any big citys and don't have to deal with the idiots

Having only really started boating the past two summers I have already seen a few things that make me wonder what people are thinking. The best one I've witnessed happened a few weeks ago just before Memorial Day. I wanted to take my boat out and run the gas motor to work out the kinks. This guy in front of me at the ramp tries to back down in a brand new gianormous F350 along with a brand new 20+ ft cabin cruiser and takes up the two lanes. His whole family gets out of the truck unloads all of their things while on the ramp and walks to the dock. The guy looks like he is explaining to his son (maybe 18 or so) how to finish backing down the ramp. The guy then jumps in the boat and the kid in the truck to finish backing down. The guy starts the boat and gives it gas to back off the trailer but nothing. A little more gas but no more movement. Finally a lot more gas and the trailer starts bouncing... the truck starts moving... he never unhooked the boat at either the bow or transom. It looked like the boat was trying to pull the boat into the lake.

I have already seen someone with a roller style trailer completely unhook their boat and then try to back it down the ramp. Needless to say the boat never hit the water... just the concrete ramp.

Finally, I saw a guy load his boat flawlessly... but never raised his motor (inboard/outboard). It placed a nice gouge up the ramp and around the parking lot to the prep/tie down area. I am afraid to see what it did to his boat.

Needless to say they added a lot more time to everyone's put in or take out time those days. Just sharing the reason behing my pet peevs lol.

Loggerhead Mike said:
No peeves for me this is by far the best forum on the net

Love reading yalls ramp horror storys, luckily we don't live near any big citys and don't have to deal with the idiots

Ha unfortuinately the lake I go to is one of the only public non horsepower restricted lakes within 100+ miles so we get all kinds of crazies that want to go boating. Two weeks ago a guy brought an offshore raceboat on the lake. I didn't want to go anywhere near that thing when it was out of the no wake zone. It had three outdrives hanging off the back and was easily 30ft long.

RivRunR said:
I come around the corner of the lake to the ramp to take my boat out, and there's a guy parked in the middle of the ramp, halfway in the water, working on his motor. He's got tools laid all over the back deck, and is oblivious to the fact (or didn't care) that there's about 2 or 3 boats in the water waiting to take out, and probably 4-5 trucks at the top waiting to get in. So I cut the motor and and wait on this Bozo for probably 10 minutes, by which time most of the other boats have given up and gone down the lake by now, so I figure I'll just beach it beside the ramp and get in line with the rest of the trucks. About the time I touch shore, I look up and there's this BIG guy stomping down the ramp toward the ramp-blocker. This guy was BIG...I mean I'm 6'5" and 250lbs, but this guy was BIG. He walks up to the guy and yells "PUT IT IN THE @#$%!&# WATER OR PUT IT IN THE @#$%!&# LOT!!!" The guy on the boat jumped straight up in the air, came down in the water up to his waist, waded/ran to his truck, pulled up the ramp, thru the lot, out into the road and leaves!!! I almost fell over laughing.
As we're walking up the ramp, the big guy looked over at me, then at my boat, and said "I'm guessing you know how to load that?" when I said "yep," he said "let's get this done." Now this is a skinny ramp, barely fits 2 trucks, and even then there's like 3" between. He backed his down one side, me down the other, he jumped in his boat, I jumped in mine, he unloaded, I loaded, he pulled out, I pulled out. Whole thing didn't take 5 minutes. When we were pulling back up the ramp, the guys waiting to drop their boats were giving us a standing ovation. Pretty funny.

Good lord, that is THE best story that I have ever read!

BassGeek54 said:
Hey wihil

...to get his 5th point of contact in gear...

Paratrooper?

me -- 82nd '78-81...PA Gaurd Pathfinder 81-84.

Sadly, no - I was a contracted "educator". Massive respect to those that signed on the dotted line =D> , I just got paid to instruct. I found it easiest communicate with individuals in their own specific lingo, and all the good verbage can be hard to forget.

Thanks again for your service, hope Mother Terra wasn't too hard on you.

:mrgreen:

RivRunR said:

Now that's there's funny I don't care who you are.........

Went out last night and there was another guy who thought the ramp was his own private ramp.

I need shoes with some spikes on the toes..... :p