Polishing Aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDeitz

Reaction score
I’m in the process of rubbing out my 1959 Sea King. I’m using Airway buffing wheels and Zephyr compound. I’m getting good results but, I keep getting into areas where the compound seems to stick to certain areas. If you’ve used compound and buffs you know you start low and work to the top. A line of residue works just above the wheel. In particular areas the residue just seems to stick to the surface and prohibit the process. I’ve tried cleaning these areas with different products and then restarting the buffing with freshly cleaned wheel and compound. The problem just reoccurs. The areas are midship sides, perhaps more heavily worn from dock rash? The sides of the boat bow and stern seem to polish nicely. Perhaps some of you have encountered similar problem?
Also, I’m committed to using the product I purchased to do this project. I’ve had others suggest will pads and corn starch but I really feel I can complete this process with equipment I own. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 70820919883__781636F7-8C99-4688-B50B-13AD5B5A4882.jpeg
    70820919883__781636F7-8C99-4688-B50B-13AD5B5A4882.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 3
Are you combing out the wheel regularly while polishing to get all the gunk out? I'm wondering if the build up is the wheel throwing out burned junk and hitting a spot with grooves or crevices that cause it to get stuck. Beautiful shine you got there, I've been doing the same to mine, similar boat too.

Are you combing out the wheel regularly while polishing to get all the gunk out? I'm wondering if the build up is the wheel throwing out burned junk and hitting a spot with grooves or crevices that cause it to get stuck. Beautiful shine you got there, I've been doing the same to mine, similar boat too.

I have been using the rake regularly. I just really don’t understand. I finally quit trying to understand and started using my da buffer with a foam cutting pad to ‘clean’ the area. After a few passes with my da and polishing compound, it looks quite good.

Latest posts