RAGGEDY BOAT - Value?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dahut

Reaction score
The old gentleman down the road is selling a 1436 Duracraft jonboat. It's been in his yard for months, with no takers. This leads me to believe something is either wrong with it, or it's way over priced. Today, I went over to have a look.
I was right - on both counts. It is in R-O-U-G-H condition and he wants a ton of money for it.

The boat itself is in workable shape, no major holes or cracked/broken structural members. But it is definitely a neglected, sun beaten project boat.

The motor is well, unknown. It is a very vintage 2-stroke Johnson, 25 hp (cord pull start) and I have no idea if it will even push a boat. It may start, as he says, but you know how that goes. All the pieces are there, at least.

The trailer - another unknown. He put it in the yard at the start of the spring and it has been taken over by the weeds. I cannot know what it looks like until it is dragged out. From what I CAN see, my assumption is for the worst.

Trolling motor - sunbeat, but complete. Dont know if it works.
Fish Finder - sunbeat Hummingbird of unknown vintage, probably 10-15 years old. It needs a new transducer, because the cable is sheared of at the rear.

Seats - needing replacement.
Hydraulic trim - there, but the hydraulic line is delaminating. I wont trust it as is.
Stick steer - works, that's all I can say.
Motor controls - all there, but unknown.

All in all, the thing is complete - I'll give it that, But everything needs to be stripped and overhauled. It is a major restoration project in my eyes. I wouldn't trust it as it sits, on the open waters of my home lake. The guy is elderly now and has years of fishing memories in the boat. But I doubt he really cares if it sells. "I just cant use it any more," was what he told me. But I don't think it is priced to move....

Asking price: $1800
My price: $500

Boats like this might sell for $1800 around here - in pristine condition. But not like this. I'm thinking I don't want to insult my neighbor with my offer, but I wanted to toss it around here, first. Anybody have any thoughts on this value and am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you

PICTURES MUCH BIGGER IF OPENED

Attachments

• 2013-07-27 13.05.31.jpg
    2013-07-27 13.05.31.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 711
  • 2013-07-27 13.05.41.jpg
    2013-07-27 13.05.41.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 711
  • 2013-07-27 13.05.47.jpg
    2013-07-27 13.05.47.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 711
  • 2013-07-27 13.05.56.jpg
    2013-07-27 13.05.56.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 711
  • 2013-07-27 13.06.01.jpg
    2013-07-27 13.06.01.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 711
  • 2013-07-27 13.06.15.jpg
    2013-07-27 13.06.15.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 711
  • 2013-07-27 13.06.53.jpg
    2013-07-27 13.06.53.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 711
It might not be the price but the local market and economy.
It's probably not "Pawn Stars" where the low-ball wins.
$500 might be a little on the light side, unless he's senile too.

Honestly, the Minn Kota trolling motor is about the most valuable thing on that boat. (I have one just like it)

Judging by the round profile ribs, I'd say it's a late 1970's to mid-80's model boat. The engine looks to be around that same vintage. I'd guess somewhere between 500 to no more than 750 dollars for the whole thing would be a fair price.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323882#p323882 said:
PSG-1 » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]Honestly, the Minn Kota trolling motor is about the most valuable thing on that boat. (I have one just like it)

Judging by the round profile ribs, I'd say it's a late 1970's to mid-80's model boat. The engine looks to be around that same vintage. I'd guess somewhere between 500 to no more than 750 dollars for the whole thing would be a fair price.
That's pretty much where I was. I mean, I'm gonna spend the winter and equal the purchase price just to get it up to speed.
I live just down the road from Lake Murray, SC. Its BIG (56,000 acres), and rough at times. I wouldn't trust my enemy in that boat as is.
Thanks for your opinion.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323881#p323881 said:
PATRIOT » 15 minutes ago[/url]"]It might not be the price but the local market and economy.
It's probably not "Pawn Stars" where the low-ball wins.
$500 might be a little on the light side, unless he's senile too.
Good points. The local market is flooded with boats, since I live near Lake Murray, SC.
Alot of it is high end end, fast, or pontoon. Meanwhile, you see beat up jon boats on trailers all over. Craigslist has a lot, too.

But, I doubt he did a lot of market research on this; I will ask how he got at his asking price.
I know that $1800 will buy a better boat in seaworthy repair, all day long.
I have seen plenty of people looking at it, but it has sat for 4 months. If it was priced right, it would have sold.

The thing is, he's my neighbor and I dont mind a project boat. The boat is close and I like the guy. Hes not senile; sharp, in fact. And hes a nice old coot, to boot. I'll probably make him a "pawn stars" offer and hope not to piss him off. The budget wont let me go more than the 500-600 on hand at the 'mo. I could scrape up another hunnert, if pressed. That makes it $700 tops. SO there you go.

If he rejects it, well, so it goes.

for his price, pass.... that money will get you a much better rig...

the boat is the most sound thing in old rigs like that.... i personally wouldnt even want to go out on a fishing trip with a motor that old.....

the boat can be completely redone, trailer can be redone, trolling motor might still be good, and if the motor runs, well than thats just a bonus i guess....

thats too much money for that rig though...

but, the art of negotiation doesnt work if both parties are dead set on their prices....if he wont come down, hes not worth the time...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323899#p323899 said:
marshman » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]for his price, pass.... that money will get you a much better rig...

the boat is the most sound thing in old rigs like that.... i personally wouldnt even want to go out on a fishing trip with a motor that old.....

the boat can be completely redone, trailer can be redone, trolling motor might still be good, and if the motor runs, well than that's just a bonus i guess....

thats too much money for that rig though...

but, the art of negotiation doesnt work if both parties are dead set on their prices....if he wont come down, hes not worth the time...
My same thoughts on the boat. It is rolling project at his point, a BIG one, too.
As for the man, well, he's a nice enough guy and he is my neighbor. He's also old and someone should at least keep an eye out for him. Just because he wants too much for his memories, I wont mind staying pals with him if nothing come of the boat.

for what its worth...i bought pretty much the same exact setup for $500...and i felt generous or suckered because i loved the boat, exactly what i was looking for...its a 14-42...same motor, rough trailer, and a questionable tm...

in my mind i was just paying 500 for the hull, and whatever else was bonus... (we call it lagniappe in louisiana...(something extra))

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323901#p323901 said:
marshman » 3 minutes ago[/url]"]for what its worth...i bought pretty much the same exact setup for $500...and i felt generous or suckered because i loved the boat, exactly what i was looking for...its a 14-42...same motor, rough trailer, and a questionable tm...

in my mind i was just paying 500 for the hull, and whatever else was bonus... (we call it lagniappe in louisiana...(something extra))
Thanks Marshman, for the extra thought.
I would love to have the boat, if we're to get to the brass of it. It is a decent enough hull and the trailer is probably fine, just rough.* The 'lagniappe' element is there too.
I can fix **** and could make this boat a years work, getting what I want from it. If the price can be arrived at.

* he lives 300 yards down the road - I could drag it home if needs be! :p LOL

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323883#p323883 said:
dahut » Yesterday, 21:48[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323882#p323882 said:
PSG-1 » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]Honestly, the Minn Kota trolling motor is about the most valuable thing on that boat. (I have one just like it)

That's pretty much where I was. I mean, I'm gonna spend the winter and equal the purchase price just to get it up to speed.
I live just down the road from Lake Murray, SC. Its BIG (56,000 acres), and rough at times. I wouldn't trust my enemy in that boat as is.
Thanks for your opinion.

I'm originally from Cayce, SC. My grandfather was one of the engineers who had a part in the construction of Lake Murray, and they had a house on the lake, so, I'm quite familiar with that area. Not only is it a big lake, it's very deep, too, like 300 feet in a few places. Not the place to be with questionable equipment.

Over the past 3 decades, I've owned a few Duracraft boats, the last 1436 I owned was a 1998 model, which was an all-welded boat. I had it modified with an inner deck like my jetboat, and had the center seat removable, so it could be taken out for a huge working deck, for commercial oystering and crabbing...or, it could be left in place for use as a regular fishing boat. It had a 25 merc, and with that setup, I could just about go places my jetboat would go. Not to mention the inner deck design made it one of the easiest boats to keep clean. It was one of the best work boats I ever owned, and was also a great fishing boat. I still kick myself for getting rid of that boat!

As for the boat you're looking at, provided that the rivets on that boat don't leak, and there's no damage to the hull, it's a good all-around boat for average conditions. Not really a boat for rough conditions, although, I certainly took mine out the mouth of the jetties and into the ocean on days most people wouldn't think about trying it, so, with the right operator, they are seaworthy to a certain extent.

A few testaments to my old 1436's durability and seaworthiness: One time, we were cast netting menhaden for crab pot bait, I was throwing an 8 foot cast net, catching so many menhaden in one cast, I could barely haul the net into the boat. On that trip, we hauled in about 800 pounds of fish, all piled in the bow section. That was before the addition of the inner deck with the 1 1/2" foam board. Another time, after installing the deck, me and one of my friends were using it for commercial oyster harvesting. We loaded it down with 22 bushels, at 60 pounds per bushel, plus the weight of 2 people, a 25 HP engine, battery and fuel tank. Needless to say, our gunwale was just a few inches from going under, but that goes to show how much weight one of these little boats can actually carry!

The boat you're looking at is definitely going to need new controls, unless you plan on going with another engine altogether, in which case, I'd recommend a 15-25 HP tiller handle. Again, as long as it's not a leaker, it's a good candidate for being re-worked a little bit, and being a good little fishing boat.

I'd recommend taking all emotion out of the deal. Honestly it looks like a $800 setup, tops, if the motor runs. It's only a 1436, they don't sell for much around here. Go 48" bottom or a nice deep V for big water.

I'd just tell the guy you are looking for a newer larger boat but might take his if the price was right and it functioned correctly. From the price it looks like he's selling his dream so be nice.

Not to jack this thread, but . . . I may be picking up a new aluminum hull . . . so what price range do you appraisers think my current 1987 1462 Lowe is in? (15HP Nissan) I run it regularly over long distances. I'm a big boy so you don't have to be gentle.

Attachments

• My1987Lowe.jpg
    My1987Lowe.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 621
  • OldSchoolHelm2.jpg
    OldSchoolHelm2.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 621
  • My1987Lowe1.jpg
    My1987Lowe1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 619
  • My1987Lowe3.jpg
    My1987Lowe3.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 619
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323930#p323930 said:
Ranchero50 » Today, 09:30[/url]"]I'd recommend taking all emotion out of the deal. Honestly it looks like a $800 setup, tops, if the motor runs. It's only a 1436, they don't sell for much around here. Go 48" bottom or a nice deep V for big water.

I'd just tell the guy you are looking for a newer larger boat but might take his if the price was right and it functioned correctly. From the price it looks like he's selling his dream so be nice.
Spot on advice. He took me around the tour of his place when I was there.
He has a lot of memories, for sure. Age has caught up with him, something
he is only reluctantly admitting.
I'll take your advice and go easy. Thank you.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323943#p323943 said:
PATRIOT » Today, 12:10[/url]"]Not to jack this thread, but . . . I may be picking up a new aluminum hull . . . so what price range do you appraisers think my current 1987 1462 Lowe is in? (15HP Nissan) I run it regularly over long distances. I'm a big boy so you don't have to be gentle.
"Not to 'jack this thread,.... but hey everybody, look over HERE at my ****...."

Hahaha! I love it.
No worries, though, I've gotten what I was after.

I like the camper set up you have there. Great idea.