Rally..Get together???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you count on Lanier haveing water at that time of year?

As soon as we get all the suggested places, some group of us will find the mostest goodest place fer the meet'n and we'll go from there. :LOL2:
Committee by internet!

Another thing that would help a lot would be a 'Stick pin' map of our locations. We'd certainly like to get in between the largest crowds to get the most participants.

Some Computer whiz bang can make us a Cyber map we can put a stick pin on at our place.
Then you just stand back and squint, to locate the biggest bunches of Red stick pins and get something in between all the big crowds of Pins.

Well, we're over full pool right now. With the amount of rain we've had, it would take another record drought between now and then to be an issue.

How big is Lake Lanier?
60 square miles (38,024 acres) with 692 miles of shoreline.

How big is that?
3 times the size of Manhattan, or 400,000+ Olympic sized swimming pools.

Many of the ramps were extended during the last drought, and if the water does go down...It makes finding the fish that much easier :D .

I agree, I have fished lanier with it very low, I believe that every member of Tinboats could bring there family, and maybe 2 dozen friends, all with boats, and still be able to fish out of site of anyone else :) Im in for Fall 2010 or spring of 2011...

Unfortunately, not all of the members have not marked their spot. It only shows 3 GA members. I know at least 8.

Y'all do keep in mind that out of 450 Corps of Engineers lakes nationwide, Lanier has the second largest annual usage number. Do remember, on a lake like that, especially near Atlanta, a large majority of these users are going to be pleasure boaters (think wakeboards and jet skis). I happen to live right near Allatoona, which has the third largest visitor number, and can tell you, it is not the place to be on a weekend with good weather. Not exactly pleasant when in a 20 ft. glass boat, much less the tin rigs most of us have.

Just sayin'.

Cool Map. I'm on it now.
It looks like we could draw about four lines, and they'd all cross somewhere in Kentucky or West Virginia.
We better get some more pins on that map.

I'd be in favor of one of the Venerable on this forum, starting a Thread about the get-together, (tin boat Bash) to get more involved, get their pins on the map and get some more ideas out about the possible place.

We need a big covered Gazebo to keep the food, cookers and a meeting or just a hangout if its wet.
Camping or Cabins, place to park a bunch of boats, close to the folks who brung 'em.
It's not so much the size of the lake, but the size of the Camping area.

Everybody think of some way you can contribute to the Group interest.
Food! Entertainment! Speeches! Techies! Tall tales! Movie camera! Still camera's too!
Photo album of your boat's progression. Some boats went from a pretty securely designed floating device to an monument of inginuuity. An entertaining display of Tin Boat Art.
We'd all enjoy looking at a display of the trail leading up to the boat you brung!

I'm going to bring a little 12 Hook Trot line. I'll set it up Friday night, and pick it in the AM. We'll get some young kids to help. We may have a Catfish fry that Saturday evening eh?

bassboy1 said:
Y'all do keep in mind that out of 450 Corps of Engineers lakes nationwide, Lanier has the second largest annual usage number. Do remember, on a lake like that, especially near Atlanta, a large majority of these users are going to be pleasure boaters (think wakeboards and jet skis).

In 1998 Allatoona clocked 86,813,126 hours, which were more visitor hours than any of the other 450 Corps of Engineer projects in the United States, and exceeded that in 2006 with more than 92 million visitor hours.

Lake Allatoona is 32% the size of Lake Lanier.

Least not consider Lake Lanier's Annaul usage numbers have ALOT to do with
1. Size of reservoir
2. Climate

Holiday and Aqualand Marinas are two to the largest freshwater marinas in the WORLD.

Go back through the list of lakes and see which lakes are the size of Lanier with similar climate, then try to make a comparable usage. On that note....Lake Lanier is a big boy lake. If you are planning on bringing your 1236 jon and venturing across the lake during the middle of the day, you best bring a life jacket. I safely fished Lanier for 20 years in a 13ft v-hull. Like any big lake, you don't want to be fishing it on a summer holiday. If the Rally is held during a weekday in Spring or Fall and not during a holiday, that will eliminate 90% of any recreational boating other than fisherman. Above all, it's a heck of a fishery.

Striped Bass - Weight: 46 lbs. Angler: Roger Snipes
Spotted Bass - Weight: 8 lbs. .5 oz, Angler: Patrick Bankston Date: May 20. 1985
Largemouth Bass - Weight: 17. 9 oz. Angler: Emory Dunahoo Date: Dec. 19, 1965
Walleye - Weight: 8 pds. 3 oz. Angler: Gene Crump Date: April 20, 1978
Hybrid - Weight: 12lb Angler: Fred Duncan Date: Dec. 22, 1992
White bass - Weight: 5 pd. 1 oz. Angler: Jm Hobbins Date: June 16, 1971
Shoal Bass - 5lbs 5 oz. Angler: Peter T Thliveros Date: Dec. 1, 1994
White Crappie - Weight: 3lb. 2oz. Angler: Bill Fretwell Date: April 17, 1991
Black Crappie - Weight: 3lb. 5oz. Angler: Chris Williams Date: October 6, 2006
Yellow Perch - Weight: 1pd. 8oz. Angler: Jeff Howard Date: Feb 2, 1990
Rainbow Trout - Weight: 8pd. 5 oz. Angler: Charlie Hobbs Sr. Date: 1970
Shellcracker - Weight: 1pd. 5ozs. Angler: Russ Toole Date: June 13, 2002
Flathead Catfish - Weight: 14pds. Angler: Danny Handley Date: May 17, 2008
Brown Trout - Weight: 4pds. Angler: Tim Wyatt Date: April 24, 2004

dyeguy1212 said:
GA is over rated...

Dang...I won't ask what her name was :LOL2:

Brine makes a pretty good point. The weather's one good reason Lanier has all those numbers.
All that oil in the water probably accounts for the Craziness that occurs in Atlanta where they drink that water 8)

The lake is not the important part. The Facility ON the lake is!

Dick.

Brine said:
thudpucker said:
The lake is not the important part. The Facility ON the lake is!

Dick.

https://www.lakelanierislands.com/campgrounds.php :mrgreen:

I've never even lived in anything that nice! :wink:
Most of us would be driving, towing a boat.
We'd have to share a place that nice with four families to afford it.
Do they have room for 50 Families, and a big Gazebo too?

thudpucker said:
I've never even lived in anything that nice! :wink:
Most of us would be driving, towing a boat.
We'd have to share a place that nice with four families to afford it.
Do they have room for 50 Families, and a big Gazebo too?

Look at the link again. To the left is "Campground". They have a boat ramp, dock, and camp sites with or without electric and water, and you can rent a pavillion. For those that want luxury, they could stay at the hotel.

This is one of several places on the lake. This one happens to be adjacent to the hotel/resort, where there is a water park, golf course, etc.... which may be of interest to some people who bring their wives/kids etc..... :wink:

Look at the PDF's at the bottom of the page for campground details.

Look at the link again. To the left is "Campground". They have a boat ramp, dock, and camp sites with or without electric and water, and you can rent a pavillion. For those that want luxury, they could stay at the hotel.

What about something in-between camping (which not everybody likes) and a luxury hotel (not everybody can afford) - like a lakeside resort with affordable cabins & a campground, dock, boat slips, etc?

Lake Nockamixon works for me :LOL2:

Tournament Caliber lake with LM and SM bass
Stripers (pure and hybrid)
Muskie (pure and hybrid)
Jumbo Crappie
Catfish
and all sorts of other stuff

https://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/Parks/nockamixon.aspx#recreation

Nice cheap cabins and campsites

rec_cabinwide.jpg

https://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findinfo/prices_cabins.aspx

One more thing - Lake Nockamixon has a 20 hp limit so you will not find and glass bass boats out there throwing wakes and such. Super tinboat friendly

Redbug hates this HP restriction i am sure!

Captain Ahab said:
One more thing - Lake Nockamixon has a 20 hp limit so you will not find and glass bass boats out there throwing wakes and such. Super tinboat friendly

Redbug hates this HP restriction i am sure!

Boat rentals? Man this sounds interesting!