Looking for this piece and or name

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Stansbury

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the plastic piece is that connects these two linkages together? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1691851207525841570830968607605.jpg
    1691851207525841570830968607605.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
First off......when you ask for help on an engine always identify what you are working on. Nobody in here is a mind reader! There is no way to tell what that engine is unless someone like myself can identify it.
However.................
The black conical piece is called a keeper but that is not what actually connects the two shafts together.
There is also a brass nut that goes onto the shaft below the keeper. I do not see it in your photo.
Go onto marineengine.com and look up a 1990 35 horsepower and then the gearcase. Look at items 49 and 73. You will need both unless there is something I cannot see in the photo.

First off......when you ask for help on an engine always identify what you are working on. Nobody in here is a mind reader! There is no way to tell what that engine is unless someone like myself can identify it.
However.................
The black conical piece is called a keeper but that is not what actually connects the two shafts together.
There is also a brass nut that goes onto the shaft below the keeper. I do not see it in your photo.
Go onto marineengine.com and look up a 1990 35 horsepower and then the gearcase. Look at items 49 and 73. You will need both unless there is something I cannot see in the photo.
It's a 1990 25hp johnson outboard. And I only needed the name of the plastic piece I have the rest, but thank God you're a mind reader.

However.................
The model number is J25EEUB

The gearcase and parts are the same but you can look up that model number in the 1997 model year in marine engine if you like to verify. According to your model number you have an electric start 25hp and the EU part tells me it is a1997, not a 1990. See how important it is to identify what we are working on when you need an answer to a question? Again look up the same part (#49) for your part number and order.

Last edited:
The gearcase and parts are the same but you can look up that model number in the 1997 model year in marine engine if you like to verify. According to your model number you have an electric start 25hp and the EU part tells me it is a1997, not a 1990. See how important it is to identify what we are working on when you need an answer to a question? Again look up the same part (#49) for your part number and order.
Okay last question hiw does the keepers go in? I.e the cones face out or the cones face in? Mine was so messed up I can't tell.

The widest part of the cones face each other. Lower one big side up and the upper one big side down. This is what keeps the male and female connectors from sliding off and keeps them in the correct location. Do not skimp on these, if you need both get them......lots cheaper than a gear set.

The widest part of the cones face each other. Lower one big side up and the upper one big side down. This is what keeps the male and female connectors from sliding off and keeps them in the correct location. Do not skimp on these, if you need both get them......lots cheaper than a gear set.
Thanks, also I'm one step ahead I bought 3 just incase one breaks. I'm a former special forces soldier I live by the mantra 1 is non, and 2 is 1, and 3 is fun...

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about cutting off the notched ends threading the rod and just screwing the two ends together with a treaded spacer?

Leave it as designed. Once you have done this job and are familiar it will be easy next time.
The reason you do not want to do what you suggested is that the shift rod height is incredibly critical to gear life and proper gear engagement when shifting. This is, if nothing else, a safety warning!!

Leave it as designed. Once you have done this job and are familiar it will be easy next time.
The reason you do not want to do what you suggested is that the shift rod height is incredibly critical to gear life and proper gear engagement when shifting. This is, if nothing else, a safety warning!!
I got the plastic pieces installed and it's all back together