Regarding removal of foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbritt23

Reaction score
Alright im in the middle of my build on a brand new alumacraft 1648 ncs. Ill be adding a cmc pt130 tilt and trim unit and a 40 hp evinrude to this boat. In the back there are 2 built in pods and im converting them for storage one side battery and one side life jackets and other stuff. i am removing the foam from the pods after i cut out for the access hatches. Do youll think i should add some blue foam board and build it up back there or anything the foam ive dug out really isnt much prob. 14"w x 14"h x 9"L. Any insight will greatly be appreciated Here is a pic to show what im talking about
20130328_172133.jpg

I don't think anyone here will grief you for leaving the foam out. I'm certainly no expert but I'm working on it. Some will say "if I flip my boat, I'll have more to worry about than the missing foam". I have mv1648 which has the foam in the split aft as well. I'm leaving mine alone for the time being but I haven't completely ruled out making some cuts. AK McCallum is apparently the coolest most retro jon boat store I've found on the internet.

I think it depends where and how you use the boat. I use mine only in local lakes and have ZERO foam or flotation. I also have 2 bilge pumps but if I ever sprang a big leak I would see my boat sink to the bottom

I do plan on adding flotation before I use it in the river or ocean of course

The only time foam will matter is if you swamp it.

If you don't think you'll ever be in that situ, chop away......:)

Think of it like this, the foam is like a life jacket for your boat. Try to leave as much as you can.

Back before I bought my boat I was checking on ordering one and I found a couple of places that made boats with a commercial designation. They had no foam and they also didn't have a horsepower rating.

I've taken some of the foam out of mine. I've kind of wondered what the insurance company would do if it sank because of that but I'm not going to lose sleep over it by any means.

The only boat I've seen swamped in my life was a little 8 or 9 foot creek boat we would pull the plug out of and play in when swimming as kids.

I’m surprised you haven’t received more responses, this is sort of a hot topic, you might even say controversial.

Yes I’m the one who says if I flip my boat over I’ll have bigger problems than some missing foam. That’s a true statement but that doesn’t mean I don’t have any concern. If you’re stern heavy and you come off plane to fast you make get some wash over the transom. Besides being conscientious about that I’ve installed float bods and a high capacity bilge pump. If you’re going to remove the foam I would at minimum install a good quality high capacity bilge pump and get as much weight off the stern as possible.

If you breach you’re hull and she going to sink I just don’t know how much the foam would help. Would it keep it from, slipping in to the abyss maybe. It depends on how heavy the boat is but any way you look at it you’re getting wet. I don’t think anyone should be under the delusion that a little foam missing from a 1648 is going to change the dynamics enough to have any anxiety over.
Go ahead and remove a little foam, if you take precautions and make a couple mods, then call it it all good. Just my 2 cents……………………………….. :mrgreen:
Good luck with your build.

Country Dave said:
I’m surprised you haven’t received more responses, this is sort of a hot topic, you might even say controversial.

Yes I’m the one who says if I flip my boat over I’ll have bigger problems than some missing foam. That’s a true statement but that doesn’t mean I don’t have any concern. If you’re stern heavy and you come off plane to fast you make get some wash over the transom. Besides being conscientious about that I’ve installed float bods and a high capacity bilge pump. If you’re going to remove the foam I would at minimum install a good quality high capacity bilge pump and get as much weight off the stern as possible.

If you breach you’re hull and she going to sink I just don’t know how much the foam would help. Would it keep it from, slipping in to the abyss maybe. It depends on how heavy the boat is but any way you look at it you’re getting wet. I don’t think anyone should be under the delusion that a little foam missing from a 1648 is going to change the dynamics enough to have any anxiety over.
Go ahead and remove a little foam, if you take precautions and make a couple mods, then call it it all good. Just my 2 cents……………………………….. :mrgreen:
Good luck with your build.

Yeah im not concerened with it really like you say if it goes under i got more problems then the boat. The foam is removed i had to make a spot for a battery and all my electrical on one side and a spot for other storage i had this 40 on a OLD 1448 G3 that was water logged and heavy as heck and when i came off plain real fast i always was cautious about the water coming in. Ill be installing a 800gph bilge in this boat also. Ill just have to see how it sits with this 40 and that CMC on it with the 6 inches of set back its up in the air. Ive been taking pictures and ill start a build thread later when im done with it.

Latest posts