Rod storage while fishing ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cprince said:
What is the aluminum pole that looks to be bolted to the crate in the second picture? At first I thought that it might be a net... but I am not certain.

Craig

That from the article I read is the person who made it's navigational light. They throw that in the stern of the boat for night fishing.

Unless you built a PVC type horizontal holder on the rim of the side, I'm guessing its vertical, just put it in a place that isn't in the way. I made one for my fiberglass I loved, I'm just not sure about using it in my jon

I've thought and thought about where to place a rod holder, but I know the minute I attach something I'll find that it's in the way, for one reason or another. So, I just do as in the pic (lean them on the gunwale, or sometimes I'll lay them on the storage box running fore and aft). It doesn't take much to move them to the other side if needed.

7-11-08_Looking_fwd_from_rear_deck.JPG

I know this is an old thread....forgive me. But I just bought a 1548 War Eagle and it has zero rod storage. It's just an open floor with a low casting deck in the front and full width seat in the rear. I like the way it's set up, however I can't make a decision as to what to do with the rods. I usualy carry 2 or 3 rods (usually 2). But I'd like to be able to carry 4 or 5 in case someone else fishes with me. I have a pair of those Berkely vertical holders but they're too long. I'd have to cut them off and then I lose one of the mounting locations. That, and I'm not fond of drilling holes in the boat's supports unless it's a permanant rod storage solution. I just don't want to mount something and then a week later decide that it's not right and have to move it.

Anyone else have any other ideas or pictures?

turbotodd said:
I know this is an old thread....forgive me. But I just bought a 1548 War Eagle and it has zero rod storage. It's just an open floor with a low casting deck in the front and full width seat in the rear. I like the way it's set up, however I can't make a decision as to what to do with the rods. I usualy carry 2 or 3 rods (usually 2). But I'd like to be able to carry 4 or 5 in case someone else fishes with me. I have a pair of those Berkely vertical holders but they're too long. I'd have to cut them off and then I lose one of the mounting locations. That, and I'm not fond of drilling holes in the boat's supports unless it's a permanant rod storage solution. I just don't want to mount something and then a week later decide that it's not right and have to move it.

Anyone else have any other ideas or pictures?
It's a little hard to tell about your layout without pics, but assuming that the rods will fit horizontally on the sides between the seat and the deck, you might want to look at something like these DuBro Tracs with the corresponding holders. I'm not a big fan of the clips, and use the rings on both ends, but that means you have to have room to slide the rods forward enough thru the front ring to clear the handle sliding back into the rear ring...if that makes any sense... but if you don't have room for that you can always just use the clips. Anyway, you can cut those tracks to size (they also come in 4' lengths), and slide the rings pretty much wherever you want them. You would have to drill holes to mount them tho.

A similar type of mount, without a track are the BajaEdd Holders.

Hope this helps...

I know some guys don't like vertical rod storage, but I love it ... especially with a side console boat.

My old 16' Grumman had some very basic PVC holders riveted to the console. It worked incredibly well. We had three people fishing from the boat and the stored rods and net never got in the way. And they were easily accessed for a quick switch.

I personally don't like horizontal rods attached to the sides of the boat. Then tend to get stepped on or crushed behind a cooler or tackle bag. And the line/lures often gets caught on stuff. And its usually a two handed job to put a rod in or out.

IMG_0646.JPG

MrSimon said:
I know some guys don't like vertical rod storage, but I love it ... especially with a side console boat.
My old 16' Grumman had some very basic PVC holders riveted to the console. It worked incredibly well. We had three people fishing from the boat and the stored rods and net never got in the way. And they were easily accessed for a quick switch.
I personally don't like horizontal rods attached to the sides of the boat. Then tend to get stepped on or crushed behind a cooler or tackle bag. And the line/lures often gets caught on stuff. And its usually a two handed job to put a rod in or out.
I've actually got both! :-D

I basically had the same issue with my 1652, deck in the front the middle seat converted to storage on one side and a livewell on the other. I was just laying the rod handles on the deck and the tips on the top of the storage compartment til one day a rod came flying by and tried to exit the rear of the boat. I was able to grab it on the way by so nothing was lost. I did however look for a way to secure them.

What I ended up doing was getting some of the velcro rod holder straps from BP, I lay the handles on the back seat and the tips lay on the livewell lid. The rods are easy to get in and out and don't get tangled to bad but do sometimes. I can also lay a rod on the front deck and secure the tip end on the livewell.

I had it the other way with the rod ends on the front deck but they seemed to be in the way and would get in the way of the compartment lid that is on the front deck. Version #2 works much better for me and I can open the livewell lid without a issue.

On the lid of the storage box I have one of those stretchable rubber straps that BP sells so I can secure something over there if needed.

BTW: While watching TV I took the BP emblem off before installing. They aren't paying me to advertise their stuff. :lol:

Latest posts