Running lights/12v plug/Battery question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXsurveyor11

Reaction score
While my 9.8 mercury is in the shop, I'm basically going to use my motorguide trolling motor as a full time motor to get places on small state park and city lakes around east texas..

I do have a battery at the moment...it is the $89 one at Academy. (heres the link for it)
https://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/marine/batteries&start=8&selectedSKU=0105-00150-1410

My question for you fellas is, if I plan on doing some night fishing, should I go ahead and get another battery to go along with the battery I have for my running lights and maybe some other things? I also plan on using a 12v plug with a spotlight just to see whats ahead of the boat while driving--dont want to ram any stumps or anything--and I also have a couple of "fish lights" that are basically a styrofoam housing surrounding a light that floats on the water (and sorry, I'm not sure at the moment what size bulb it is or anything..) I dont have a fish finder at the moment, but one IS planned for the future. I also have some 'interior' LED lights planned for the boat in the near future.

Would I be able to run all of these things on that one single battery, or should I go with another smaller battery to run some/all of these things on?

Also, if I have the plugs/bases installed for the running lights with the wire running to them always hooked up to the battery terminals, will that drain my battery at all, or should I attach them to the terminals only when I need them?

Basically, I dont want to run my trolling motor somewhere and fish for a few hours and not have enough juice to get back to the ramp, haha. I dont plan on straying too far from the boat ramp though anyways, better safe than sorry

I know alot of this I will learn on trial and error-and that will hopefully start next weekend if I can finish the boat this week.

I would like any input from you guys that I can get--sorry if my question sounds ignorant or anything--i dont have much experience in electrical stuff.

and if I need to clarify anything or anything like that, please let me know. Thanks aplenty--

I think you'd be fine running one battery.. those lights don't pull that much power.

I don't know about the spot light though... those bad boys can pull some power and it may wear down your trolling motor faster than you would like.

You can keep the plugs hooked up full time without your lights in them.. it won't pull any draw.

You might want to consider getting a small 24 series deep cycle from Auto Zone (not Advance).. get their brand because they are stronger batteries in my opinion and experience. They are like $50 (i really don't remember because I get military discount there)

russ010 said:
I think you'd be fine running one battery.. those lights don't pull that much power.

I don't know about the spot light though... those bad boys can pull some power and it may wear down your trolling motor faster than you would like.

You can keep the plugs hooked up full time without your lights in them.. it won't pull any draw.

You might want to consider getting a small 24 series deep cycle from Auto Zone (not Advance).. get their brand because they are stronger batteries in my opinion and experience. They are like $50 (i really don't remember because I get military discount there)

Thanks Russ-

About the spotlight though, I knew it would take the most power off the battery minus the trolling motor, but I figured I could go buy one of the classic yellow ones for like $15 at walmart to leave in the boat all the time..I probably should just go ahead and get a rechargeable one, and if I needed to charge it I would always have the 12V plug i guess.

Would you recommend spending the extra money and getting the LED navigation/running lights? I've read in other posts that they are worth it but I know how some LED lights can be a little dim...I've never actually seen what they look like compared to the regular navigation lights..

What size trolling motor do you have?
I looked at your battery,thinking it has 115AH?
It not really trial and error,a 12volt TM draws about 1amp per lbs. of thrust,at wide open throttle.If your planning on going acouple hours away,then fish and then acouple hours back,I'd be thinking of another battery,even without the accessories...I hate rowing jon boats.
Say your TM is a 40lbs thrust,your only going to get 2.875(probably closer to 2.5) hours of run time at wide open.You will get alot more run time if you don't have to run wide open.
Led lights are more likely to be brighter then bulbs and draw less power.

Zum said:
What size trolling motor do you have?
I looked at your battery,thinking it has 115AH?
It not really trial and error,a 12volt TM draws about 1amp per lbs. of thrust,at wide open throttle.If your planning on going acouple hours away,then fish and then acouple hours back,I'd be thinking of another battery,even without the accessories...I hate rowing jon boats.
Say your TM is a 40lbs thrust,your only going to get 2.875(probably closer to 2.5) hours of run time at wide open.You will get alot more run time if you don't have to run wide open.
Led lights are more likely to be brighter then bulbs and draw less power.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that that is the size battery I bought. It is at my parents house right now with the boat. I have a 30 lb thrust motorguide w/ a tiller handle, and my boat is a 1432.
Until I get the outboard fixed, I really dont have any long trips planned in the boat. I mainly plan on trying to catch crappie and catfish off a few brushpiles sunk on trees, probably only around 15-20 mins away from the boat ramp (using the trolling motor wide open). I might do a little bassfishing close to the ramps in coves that are pretty close.

Thanks for the info on the LED lights. Any certain brand recommended? I was planning on going w/ whatever they have at walmart or Academy...

I wouldn't worry bout the LED lights - they are great and all - but even I can't see spending $50 on something like that

You will be fine with that one battery then(as lons as it's good:))
You will get 3+ hours of run time at wide open and we all know fishing isn't done at wide open so I'm guessing 6hours of fish time.
If I was just using electric only and just messing around fishing,I'd start at the farthest place from the dock and work my way back,just a thought.