Salvaging a small craft...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys...90°F temps kept my group of volunteers from wanting to do much hiking/working! (yes, that's hot for these parts).

Soon enough! And I will have pics!

Such a shame, b/c if he got it out and was able to fix it up that would have been awesome.

bscman said:
I'm seeking suggestions on how to salvage a small boat...

A couple years ago I stumbled across a "hidden" lake far up in the hills. Logging roads pass nearby, but the lake shows very little signs of use...no trash, fire rings, no trails to the lake, etc.
FWIW, it holds a small population of very well fed cutthroat trout.

There is a small fiberglass boat (8-9ft) sunk about 20 feet out from shore. It appears to be in about 10-12ft of VERY clear water. I'd guess it's probably a boat from the 60's or 70's. I'm guessing it was probably hauled up there 15-20 years ago when the other side of the mountain was logged.

I'm planning to attempt a salvage of this boat. It'd be great if it was not damaged, or could be repaired with minimal effort...but even if there is no hope for the craft, it'd be nice to get it out of this otherwise pristine fishing spot.

Since the lake is considered a "high elevation" lake, the water stays pretty cold all year round. There is usually several feet of snow (and the lake is iced over) every winter. Cold water + my inability to dive/swim to a comfortable degree is going to keep me on dry land during the effort.

I've done this, only the one I found was an aluminum (an OLD girl for sure-the front bow was enclosed in metal & the inside was oval shape-like if a kayak & a row boated had mated & produced an offspring :lol: ). Still don't know what make or model or year it was. Anyway, the one I retrieved was 12' long & was in about 4 feet of water. I simply hooked a tractor to the front & pulled it out & up onto shore. Fixed it up (merely leaks-no biggie), then after summer sold it.

So...

taino_racing said:
how about hooking ballons and once its flips over fill with air from a portable air compressor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was hiking in to make the recovery attempts,so it would be difficult at best.

5 lb CO2 tank should fill that boat with enough air to float her. however that really sin't needed.

Even if you drag it on shore right side up, drag itup slowely and let the water drain out as you go, or bail it out.

Wonder if he drowned in teh process?

LoL, I'm amazed to see this thread still going...and I apologize for my extended absence.

The long and short of it...

I drug my girlfriend and brother in law up to the lake for a rescue attempt.
The water was FREEZING to say the least!

We started trying to "hook" the rails of the boat. At last we finally got a secure line, but were unable to get the thing to budge.

My brother in law and I decided to get a bit wet and try what we could...I ended up in the water for all of 3 minutes before I called it quits (poor swimmer, cold water, lack of confidence...) and my brother in law was unable to get the boat flipped over by himself.

We couldn't see any obvious damage to the little boat, but you can only see so well underwater without goggles...

All and all it was something comical to add to the memory bank. Looking back now it was a pretty dumb idea...but a memory none-the-less.

You guys have any idea how cold it gets in NW Washington State?

I wouodl stay the heck out teh water no matter what boat was down there

Latest posts