Sea Nymph 12R on top???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niloz

Reaction score
Hi - New to the site and new to the tin boat world. Looking for some advice please.

I flat tow a Chevy Colorado short bed behind our Class C motorhome with a 13 foot canoe on top with no issues. The rack is aluminum, 64# wide and rated for up to 800 lbs.

We just picked up a 1978 Sea Nymph 12R and I'd like to replace the canoe with the tinny on our trips. The boat is 12"2" long, 58" at widest point and 140 lbs.

Since the Colorado is a short bed the crossbars on the rack are only 43" apart on center. This puts a little more than 4 feet of the boat out on each end from the crossbars if i center it. It wasn't a concern with the injection molded canoe @ just about 100 lbs.

Any reasons this wont work for the aluminum boat?

Here's a pic of the canoe setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 0
Based on the pic, I would move the 12 R more forward, so little as possible hangs over the back. As long as clamped well I see no issues. We also had a motorhome but used an enclosed trailer, that way we could haul. Boats, atv, side x side, or anything we wanted to !!

Based on the pic, I would move the 12 R more forward, so little as possible hangs over the back. As long as clamped well I see no issues. We also had a motorhome but used an enclosed trailer, that way we could haul. Boats, atv, side x side, or anything we wanted to !!
Thanks for the advice airshot - we'll give a test run after this cold snap passes. We have the enclosed trailer too but like to have the truck to get around once the RV is parked and the boats in the water.