Should I get a 2nd battery?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leelatt

Reaction score
So now that the weather has been weirdly nice for the last month here in NJ (usually under a lot of snow this time of year, it's been 55 for a few weeks), I'm getting ready to install my bilge pump, aerator, and fish finder, and I'm curious if I should get another battery. I currently have a group 29 deep cycle in the back compartment of my tracker 1542, which so far has been dedicated to my MK Endura 55# TM, as that's my only means of propulsion at the moment, so now with 3 more electronics going in, which only 1 is going to be constantly active (fish finder) I wonder if I should get a 2nd large battery, or if a small 12v battery would be enough to run the fish finder all day plus have the energy to use the bilge and aerator also if/when needed, so that my TM has as much run time as possible on the one battery I already have.

also I plan to add nav lights and maybe 2 small speakers in the distant future.

also, what is a good fuse system and switch panel example?

I've been running the bass pro 55 thrust prowler, the fish finder and the portable live well off of two batteries conected pos to pos and neg to neg and it has been working good. We can cruise the river for 8 hrs and never drop below 12.0 volts. When we used to run just the one battery it would drop to 11.0 by the end of the day.

I would get a second battery and the biggest one you can afford. You will not have a charging system to replenish the battery on the water and flooded led acid batteries wont last very long if they are continually drained below 50%. Little extra insurance for longer days on the water. I was shocked to see how fast my fish finder could run down the battery.

We also have a 12 volt solar panel that we hook up to the batteries that helps them recover a little while out fishing but it isnt much. Two batteries are better than one.

if you get a second battery you wont want to hook them together
having 2 batteries that are not the same age isnt good for them it will shorten the life of your new battery
you can use a tractor battery to run the electronics if you choose to go that way

Yep, I shoulda mentioned that both these batteries are dated the same dates of manufacture. Otherwise use the better one for primary and older one for secondary.

Alright, thanks guys, I'm gonna pick up another G29DC battery and set up a fuse box/switch pannel for it.

also, is it worth getting one of those Minn Kota power center battery boxes that has the guage and the outlets or are they more trouble than they are worth?

Leelatt said:
Alright, thanks guys, I'm gonna pick up another G29DC battery and set up a fuse box/switch pannel for it.

also, is it worth getting one of those Minn Kota power center battery boxes that has the guage and the outlets or are they more trouble than they are worth?

I was going to answer YES, but it sounds like you already made up your mind. :wink: You made the right choice.

You could save some money by building your own console with your swtiches lights, accessories and a volt meter. Be a good idea to fuse all your lines.

fender66 said:
Leelatt said:

I was going to answer YES, but it sounds like you already made up your mind. :wink: You made the right choice.

Yes to the power center's being worth it, or yes that they are more trouble than they are worth? lol

I saw a mod on a build that they added switches to the top of the battery cover, I was thinking I'd do something similar, 3 of these: (https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=17562&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50557) one for the bilge, one for the fish finder, and one for the live well, link the 3 "live" wires going to the "+" terminal and then run the other "live" wires to one of these: (https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1032591&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50556) which I will mount to the side of the battery box. and then I just need to figure out how to wire all of the negative wires to one another so I have only 1 black wire running to the "-" terminal on the battery. hopefully that makes sense lol.

also, I tested out the fish finder I have (lowrance mark 5x dsi) with a simple wire rig, the transducer makes a loud clicking noise, is this normal? this is my first fish finder so I'm not sure if it's normal or not, and no idea how to use the fish finder haha, it's going to be an interesting learning experience.

Actually, YES to getting a second battery.

But, I do think the power centers are worth it. Makes everything nice and neat once it's done. It will also allow you to fuse everything...if it's done right.

You can add switches to the battery cover too if you want. Fuse everything though.

There's more than one way to do things right. :wink:

As for the clicking....that's the sonar. Yes (again)....it's supposed to do that.

right now the second battery will be used for the fish finder, but I plan to add the bilge pump, live well aerator in during the next month or so, and then nav lights, and speakers somewhere down the road, so it's more like planning ahead than just buying a battery for the fish finder.

Leelatt said:
right now the second battery will be used for the fish finder, but I plan to add the bilge pump, live well aerator in during the next month or so, and then nav lights, and speakers somewhere down the road, so it's more like planning ahead than just buying a battery for the fish finder.

:twisted: Definetley need another battery with all the add-ons in your future plans.

Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. Running a trolling motor, nav lights, bilge pump, livewell, stereo is gona suck down a lota juice. Think hard on at least putting a good grade solar panel on the rig as well.

I run a 55lb. Minn Kota on our 1648, with 2 deep cycle batteries wired through a switch. I run one battery at a time and have the other for backup. I
switch back and forth between batteries each trip.

Paddling a 1648 with a dead battery back to the ramp is not my idea of a good day on the water. :LOL2:

Attachments

• 031211 004P.jpg
    031211 004P.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 211
John Wasmuth said:
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. Running a trolling motor, nav lights, bilge pump, livewell, stereo is gona suck down a lota juice. Think hard on at least putting a good grade solar panel on the rig as well.
This has been discussed and tried many times and all attempts have failed
the amount of power that a panel that will fit on the boat will generate isn't worth the money you spend

I know they will keep a charge on a battery but most wont be able to maintain or charge a battery on the water most give off only low amps per hour that will not make a big difference in on the water time compaired to a second battery
if your does that thats great but would be the first one ive heard of

Thanks guys.

btw has anyone used one of these aerators before? https://www.basspro.com/Fish-Saver-Portable-Aerator/product/1283/82601 I'm trying to find out what size fuse to use, but can't seem to find a straight answer about it.

Latest posts