Should I sell my Evinrude 9.9hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwmeador

Reaction score
I'm looking for some thoughts or recommendations on weather I should sell my 1986 9.9hp Evinrude. It runs fine I'm mainly thinking about selling it because I'm not sure about parts availability. Should I just sell this engine for 4-600 bucks and buy a newer 4 stroke? Or would you attempt to rebuild the old Evinrude?

I'm looking for some thoughts or recommendations on weather I should sell my 1986 9.9hp Evinrude. It runs fine I'm mainly thinking about selling it because I'm not sure about parts availability. Should I just sell this engine for 4-600 bucks and buy a newer 4 stroke? Or would you attempt to rebuild the old Evinrude?
If it runs fine why would you need a rebuild ? Those were great little motors and would run forever if taken care of !
Newer 4 strokes are heavier, costly, expensive to repair when that day comes along. I will be one of the last to give up my good ole two strokes, using a few more gallons of gas is nothing compared to the extra weight, poorer performance and expense of getting into four stroke motors.

If it runs and is in decent shape it's worth more than you think. Atleast in my area those Old 9.9/15 2 strokes fetch a premium. Easy to work on and parts availability shouldn't be an issue anytime soon.

A running 2 stroke 9.9 runs about $3500.00 in Eastern Oklahoma. That is if you can even find one. Spent 5 months searching Oklahoma for a 2 stroke and gave up. Most of the outboards that I went out and looked at were pure basket cases not worth buying.

Wow I'm amazed at these prices. Only fairly new motors bring big bucks in my neck of the woods. Summer price for 9.9-25 HP OMC: $400-1000. Winter prices half or less, maybe a lot less!

IMO old machinery is better machinery. I'd keep what you got and freshen it up. It will outlive you. And your kids. Maybe even the grandkids. Will a 2023 motor be around even 20 years from now?

In my opinion, those Evinrude 9.9/15's were some of the best motors ever produced. They are pretty easy to work on compared to others. There are parts available without too much hassle. Even NAPA Auto Parts sells parts for them. They are very dependable little motors. If you have one, I would only replace it if it was in rough shape and would cost too much to fix or you wanted to upgrade to a higher horsepower motor.

About same price range in my area, nice used one's 750-1500 , mabey more if like new....but, 3500 ?? That is brand new price !! What is with Oklahoma??

I recently sold a 1985 9.9 Evinrude which belonged to a relative who passed away. It was in what I'd call near new condition. It was likely as close to a brand new motor as you could find these days. I had my doubts if it had actually ever seen the water on a boat.
I listed it here on FB and CL back in '21, it took till June of this year to sell. I had listed it for $800, the best or only offer I got in all that time was $500 cash.
I probably got 50 emails asking if it was a 2 or 4 stroke, another 100 or so asking if it would fit their boat, and dozens of emails telling me how 2 strokes should be junked because they ruin the environment. It sold to a guy who was here on work from out of state.

I have three 15hp Evinrude motors that I've owned since the 80's myself. All three are good running motors, but in 2000 I bought a new Mercury 9.9 four stroke, and my larger boat runs a 40hp. I kept one 9.9 and the three 15hp motors around as spares or just in case I didn't like the four stroke.
I had considered selling them but after all the headaches trying to sell that one motor I don't think its worth the hassle. If a minty clean motor in tip top shape will only bring $500, then my more used 15hp motors likely won't bring enough to bother carrying them out of the garage.
If I thought I could get any where close to $3,500 for them they'd be gone.
Its not just small motors that don't sell, a neighbor has been trying to sell his mid 80's 150hp in good running shape for $600 for three years and he's not had a single serious buyer either.

Boats and motors have always 'lost' value in the fall and winter here but this year I'm seeing way more dirt cheap deals for some nice looking boats, and they've gone for weeks unsold. I've for years watched the trend here for guys to dump their fishing boat and all their tackle in the fall to buy hunting gear, then in the spring dump their hunting gear to buy fishing tackle. They'd do it year after year and never 'keep' anything for the next season. A buddy of mine made a living buying and selling used hunting and fishing gear from guys who did this every year. Some guys claimed they did it so they had the latest and greatest gear every year, but most did it because they needed the money from what they sold to buy what they needed for the season at hand. Now it seems very few hunt or fish. I don't see nearly as many younger guys getting into hunting or fishing and the older guys have either gotten too old, or don't have the time, or got fed up with the ridiculous limits these days. (Going fishing and only being allowed to keep one fish just isn't worth all the registration, insurance, and fuel it takes to go get it).

About same price range in my area, nice used one's 750-1500 , mabey more if like new....but, 3500 ?? That is brand new price !! What is with Oklahoma??
They have small tin boats for sale that are full of trash sacks and leaves and are asking between $750.00 to $1500. A boat exactly like mine was listed for $800.00. Same year and make but in horrible shape. Looked at a Tohatsu 6 HP that was five years old and the guy wanted $1800.00. Claimed he only used the outboard one time. I bought a brand new 2024 for $1590.00. A lot of horse traders here in Oklahoma.

Since the weather turned colder here there's been an increasing number of cheap boats listed, many of which were listed for crazy prices over the summer. I've been watching a 16ft MIrrocraft on FB that's been listed for $1000 for about five months now about 2 hrs north of me. I can't believe its still for sale.

I bought a 1999 Starcraft 14ft with a Suzuki 30hp four stroke motor on it a year ago for $200 in Nov. It sat for sale on CL for the better part of the summer for $600. The seller dropped the price to $400 and stated that he didn't have any papers for the trailer.
It sat for another two months. He renewed the ad, and I emailed him saying I'd like to come see it. It turned out to be closer than he said and I went the next day to go get it. In looking over the boat super closely, sort of expecting to find something damaged, he tells me if I wanted it, the price was negotiable. He had a signed title, along with some estate papers to show he was the rightful seller of what turned out to be his deceased uncle's boat, and a hand written bill of sale for the trailer. I looked at him after he said the $400 price was negotiable and said "How about $200?" and he said "Sold".
It was simply a case of a relative looking to rid themselves of something they had no use for and maybe no place to keep it. I suspect I could have said $50 and he'd have taken it.
The boat was in near new condition, complete with a livewell, two recent group 27 deep cycle batteries, one Optima starting battery, a 55lb thrust trolling motor, Humming bird fish finder, and a tackle box full of lures. The motor was a three cylinder Suzuki four stroke with two 6 gallon fuel tanks and two jugs of oil in the boat. None of which he made any mention of in the ad. Before he pulled away, he took out two super clean, older fishing rods, two Bass Pro Shops inflatable vests and two wood oars. There was so much stuff that came with it the boat was full..
I still own the boat, but sold the motor. I found the Suzuki motor to be one of the most miserable motors I've ever owned with constant carb issues. I sold the motor after almost a full year on CL for $800.
I run a 35hp 2 stroke on it for a while after that which I had from another boat.

I recently sold a 1985 9.9 Evinrude which belonged to a relative who passed away. It was in what I'd call near new condition. It was likely as close to a brand new motor as you could find these days. I had my doubts if it had actually ever seen the water on a boat.
I listed it here on FB and CL back in '21, it took till June of this year to sell. I had listed it for $800, the best or only offer I got in all that time was $500 cash.
I probably got 50 emails asking if it was a 2 or 4 stroke, another 100 or so asking if it would fit their boat, and dozens of emails telling me how 2 strokes should be junked because they ruin the environment. It sold to a guy who was here on work from out of state.

I have three 15hp Evinrude motors that I've owned since the 80's myself. All three are good running motors, but in 2000 I bought a new Mercury 9.9 four stroke, and my larger boat runs a 40hp. I kept one 9.9 and the three 15hp motors around as spares or just in case I didn't like the four stroke.
I had considered selling them but after all the headaches trying to sell that one motor I don't think its worth the hassle. If a minty clean motor in tip top shape will only bring $500, then my more used 15hp motors likely won't bring enough to bother carrying them out of the garage.
If I thought I could get any where close to $3,500 for them they'd be gone.
Its not just small motors that don't sell, a neighbor has been trying to sell his mid 80's 150hp in good running shape for $600 for three years and he's not had a single serious buyer either.

Boats and motors have always 'lost' value in the fall and winter here but this year I'm seeing way more dirt cheap deals for some nice looking boats, and they've gone for weeks unsold. I've for years watched the trend here for guys to dump their fishing boat and all their tackle in the fall to buy hunting gear, then in the spring dump their hunting gear to buy fishing tackle. They'd do it year after year and never 'keep' anything for the next season. A buddy of mine made a living buying and selling used hunting and fishing gear from guys who did this every year. Some guys claimed they did it so they had the latest and greatest gear every year, but most did it because they needed the money from what they sold to buy what they needed for the season at hand. Now it seems very few hunt or fish. I don't see nearly as many younger guys getting into hunting or fishing and the older guys have either gotten too old, or don't have the time, or got fed up with the ridiculous limits these days. (Going fishing and only being allowed to keep one fish just isn't worth all the registration, insurance, and fuel it takes to go get it).
What part of the country are you in?

I got my first Mirrocraft the same way, a 20 year old guy had inherited it and wanted nothing to do with it. It was his dad's boat and his dad had passed away. He wanted nothing to do with it so I bought a freshly painted 16 foot boat with a 2 year old trailer, and perfect running motor with all the gear the old guy owned in the boat with it for $400.
I'll likely die with it and my 17ft Mirrocraft.

As to the 9.9, they're a great motor but I'm in NJ and her we can't use gas motors in most freshwater.
Other than a guy who's got a little boat who maybe crabs or runs in one of the rivers here they're a bit small.
I'm not saying guys don't do it, but I strongly prefer to have more power when I need it.
Most 9.9 hp OMC motors here sit for a long time at $600 or more, even some pretty clean one's.
I have one I bought at a yardsale, still with the original tags and prop never installed from 1983, that I gave $200 for.
I have a long shaft electric start remote and tiller 1985 15hp Johnson that I bought for $50 off CL. The guy bought a boat for $1,200, it was on the boat and when he realized he had to mix oil, he dumped it and bought one of those Brigg and Stratton 5hp motors. I went over it a bit, its got perfect compression and it runs perfect. I ran it on my old 14ft Duranautic for a few years but sold the boat wanting something larger. Its been on a stand in my garage since 2016 waiting for me to find it a new boat to hand on. The problem is most boats that need a remote 20" shaft are too big for a 15hp motor.
I suppose if I listed it for sale, I'd put it up for a grand but I'd likely get nothing but $250 offers around here if any at all.
Every used motor or boat I've ever sold has gone far away, there's almost no market here for a boat unless its being sold for less than scrap value.

I see boats for sale in all states of repair. The biggest thing here is finding a boat with a title. It seems that 90% of the boats for sale have no paperwork. Yet they many are in the water being used???
I looked at a 16ft Starcraft SS that was listed on a local FB yardsale page, the ad said that everything worked as it should, runs 100%, and that you can test run it in the water until the marina closed for the season. I met the guy there, he had the boat in the water and ready to go. It had current numbers and registration on it but he did not have them and said he had no idea where they were. He then tells me he doesn't have a title. Apparently he bought the boat with good stickers on it, ran it all summer, and now wants to sell it before they expire.
He don't have the title, a call to the marine police though says the name the guy gave me is the registered owner of the registration number on the boat and its registered to a 1974 Starcraft 16ft boat.
I have no clue what his game is and don't really care. The only thing I can figure is that he's not who he says he is, but he was listing it for sale under that name on FB and the boat was in a public marina (that closed Nov. 1).
I see a dozen or more listed without titles right now, all with current or recent registration decals on them.
Either the decals are for another boat, or they're keeping the titles, or they don't own the boat.

NJ makes getting a lost or unknown title impossible for all but the titled owner. To make it worse, since 2020, they've closed many DMV offices meaning many folks have to drive over an hour to get to a DMV office. I think this has just made a lot of people just say screw it and either run without registration or paperwork or they just sell the boat. The DMV here has turned into a real mess when it comes to used vehicles and registrations. They built a brand new DMV office a mile from me four years ago.
They now only do 'special licenses there by appointment now. You can renew some things online but if you miss a year or just bought it your going to waste the better part of a day driving to a regional office to get it done. I think this is driving a lot of the 'no paperwork' sales. I think a lot of folks didn't renew during the pandemic, so they are now required to drive to the main DMV to register their boat or trailer again.

Its really put a hurt on fishing tackle sales, boat sales, and hunting equipment for a lot of people. The number of unregistered vehicles on the road has increased as well for the very same reasons. You can't work 7am to 7pm five days a week and get to the DMV, who is not open on weekends. I can fully understand why some say forget it and run without it or just quit hunting of fishing altogether. The messed up bag limits and warnings about contaminated fish and deer with chronic wasting disease all over don't help much either.

For the first time in a long while Oklahoma lakes got a clean bill of health for eating fish taken. Massive water management programs for the last 20 years has paid off. A few rivers are marginal for people with health conditions. Deer have never been a problem.

With all the manufacturing in the 20th century in the N.E. most if not all water ways have some sort of contamination,
C.W.D. has spread from OH, through most of PA, and into NJ and NY.
Its the same or similar to mad cow disease, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans. I don't know much about it but I do know its untreatable and fatal. I knew three people who died of it in the past 8 years. I think there's more of it around then they admit because the national numbers are super low but everyone I talk to seems to know someone who died of it.

They tell us the fish in the Delaware Bay are contaminated and not to eat more than one or two 'meals' per year, they say the fish in the ocean have mercury and other heavy metals, and on occasion various bacteria. The rivers and a few bodies of water have had numerous cases of Vibrio Vulnificus bacteria in recent years. Its no wonder because many sewage plants along the river have overflow pipes in the river and big warnings about not fishing or swimming near there. Several waterways have warnings about fecal bacteria due to old septic systems being too close to the water as well.
They cut catch limts to only one or two fish for most species too. One striper, one flounder, one weakfish, etc. The freshwater fish are generally inedible so we only fish in the saltwater here. There's also been a few cases of sores on stripers in recent years, both in the DE bay and Chesapeake bay. You could probably write a full page list of all the warnings and contaminated waters.

They also found snakehead fish and there have been rumors of Asian carp in one river.

As always, the good deals go to people with patience and cash! I got into boating for the first time since was a kid two summers ago. Bought a cheap Alumacraft with a trailer. Figured I'd grab me a cheap motor and go fishing. Then reality set in. There were no cheap motors! Marinas were ghost towns. Hardly a boat or motor to be found. Not wanting to shell out $750-1000 for a POS 9.9 or smaller I waited and watched Market Place daily.

Soon I had me a cheap, but oddball 14 HP McCulloch. Took me awhile to get it running, but once I did, man did that motor scream! Best $60 I ever spent. While working on the Mickey Motor a Mirro popped up for a reasonable price. Full of gear, all stuff that I was going to have to buy. Like a thousand bucks worth of goodies! Offered $1500 and soon it was sitting in my driveway. Turned out the wench who sold it lied through her teeth about the condition of the Fastwin 18 on the back, but after some head scratching I finally got it running well too. Although ended up having to dump a sizable bit of cash into it to get it going. Since then I've acquired a few more cheap motors, a trailer, and a new boat. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I'm having fun, but not doing as much fishing as I'd like to.

Oklahoma a few years back said do not eat the fish you catch. Now 20 years later they are dancing to a different drummer. Mainly because the local government got tired of the corporations polluting our waterways. The restrictions cost a few jobs in this state and rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. Overall the economy has rebounded. We now support clean waterways and healthy fishing. Tourism is uo 100% and we support a lot of Bass tournaments. Overall the recreation valve of are state is paying off due to good quality fishing and the tax dollars earned is overall very good. The East coast could take some lessons. Especially the Chesapeake bay.

Oklahoma a few years back said do not eat the fish you catch. Now 20 years later they are dancing to a different drummer. Mainly because the local government got tired of the corporations polluting our waterways. The restrictions cost a few jobs in this state and rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. Overall the economy has rebounded. We now support clean waterways and healthy fishing. Tourism is uo 100% and we support a lot of Bass tournaments. Overall the recreation valve of are state is paying off due to good quality fishing and the tax dollars earned is overall very good. The East coast could take some lessons. Especially the Chesapeake bay.
The Chesapeake doesn't stand a chance with Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC and their inhabitants constant polluting. The Baltimore inner harbor is full of fast food wrappers and dirty drug paraphernalia. Probably more than a few bodies too. Years ago I use to fish the northern end of the bay specifically the susquehanna flats a fair bit. The crabs and striper are depleted now and it's mostly full of blue catfish anymore.

Latest posts