Side Console to Center Console Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagles

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here I go......
I have an 1986 Bass Tracker TX 17 with a Mercury 50 that I purchased that was in rough shape.

I have removed all of the rotted wood, molded foam and gotten it down to the shell.

I would like to convert it from the side console configuration to center console. The original console was in pieces.

Then problem that I have ran into is finding a top mounted or left side mounted throttle control that fits to the Mercury 50.

Is this conversion possible?
Is there a harness that will allow me to plug into the 8 pin at the engine?

This boat is being rebuilt from the ground up.
New wiring, controls, foam, hatches, decking............

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Get yourself a wiring diagram (in any service manual) and you can build an adapter harness to make just about any control box work. There isn't a whole lot going on in there, just engine crank, ignition, ground to kill, power trim wires, choke, and likely a tach signal wire.

I don't see why it couldn't be mounted to the left side of your console, as is.

When I did my boat I made a console that uses a side mounted shifter, it's pretty easy to do. There are top mounted shifters, I believe they're called binnacle shifters that mount to the top of the console. They also make the harness you asked about, I used one of those for my kicker motor when it's installed for slow speed trolling, it's just an extension harness. You can make one but you'll have to come up with a connector for multiple pins. I bought a used one to save time.

Mr. Giggles and Eeshaw,

Thanks for thebquick replies.
I have found a wiring diagram and think I can make that work.

Eeshaw,
Do you have a pick of said console?

Thanks

I have a Lowe center console in my boat and I mounted the Mercury controls on the right side of the console. You can flip around which side you want the handle to be on. I can't find a good picture of mine but here's a partial picture and a link to a similar one on Ebay just so you can see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332663757175?hash=item4d744e1977:g:2ZUAAOSwOGFbC7xH

-

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_battery.jpg
    Lowe_1652_battery.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 443
  • Lowe_dock3.jpg
    Lowe_dock3.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 441
FWIW when I converted an 18’ Lund Tyee from dual-console to center console, I put gear & throttle to a binnacle mounted control & added the wiring to a helm-mounted ignition switch.

Just had to loop in the trim/tilt wiring to the control head. Worked slick!

Turned screws for 43MPH w/ a 90hp on it, she was a saltwater flyfishing beast!
44647B8C-70B9-4CB3-B4FD-A551E304D23B.jpeg

These are mine.

Attachments

• kicker shifter.jpg
    kicker shifter.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 429
  • main shifter.jpg
    main shifter.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 430
What do I have to do to get these pics to post upright? I have no idea why they post sideways.

No IPhone, it's the competition, Samsung. I'll try holding it sideways. Thanks for the help!

Just for the fun of it I rotated your pic and reattached it below (from my MacBook). Looks like it worked OK. Doesn't really prove much other than it isn't some kind of issue with the image file itself I guess. The aspect of the phone when the pic is taken seems to be the most logical explanation.

kicker shifter.jpg

I know that if I click on the pic it comes up on a new tab, right side up. I'm at a loss.

Latest posts