Sluggish 9.5 Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dman24

Reaction score
I bought my first boat about 2 weeks ago. Its a 13.5 ft v hull and it came with a 9.5hp johnson. The guy I bought it from told me it was a two stroke, so I used a 24:1 mixture of outboard two stroke oil with high test gas. I had it on a local river last Thursday and it ran like a top. Saturday I took it to the lake and I couldn't close the choke to run it. If I had the choke about half open I could run it, but then it would get sluggish for a second and then go again. If I opened the choke it would idle down to almost cutting off and not rev. Any help or input is appreciated. I have no experience with outboards but am pretty good at working on most other engines.

I got one of those outboards. Sounds like you need to clean the carb. And the gas/oil mix is 50:1. They quit using 24:1 in the early 60s like 60 or 61.

Steve

If it's running better with the choke on or partially on, it sounds like you have a fuel feed issue. Air leaks in the fuel line are the most common from what I've seen but it could be some trash in the carb.

Hey buddy,

Read through the link supplied below, it should answer a lot of your questions.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21217

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check my fuel lines again and clean the carb and adjust as needed. I am confused why it was perfect one day then two days later wanted to act up. Hopefully the weather will be nice next weekend and I can put my boat in the water again. Probably do the motor work Friday and fish Saturday. I have to fix the pull rope as well. It doesn't stay on so I have to remove the cover and wrap it everytime I need to move. Its a pain but it works. Thanks again for the help and I'm sure I will probably need more as I get into modding my boat this winter.

Latest posts