Smallest hull rated for a 60 jet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
In Texas, the game wardens cannot ticket you for a motor that exceeds the coast guard plate (as I understand...) but bass tournaments can DQ you for it.

I'm kicking around the idea of building an outboard jet rig (with a side console) and setting it up for tourney fishing. There's a few lakes I think I could get a leg up on with a jet, and about half of the trails still let you use one.

I really like the e-tec 60 and was wondering if there's a 16-17' hull that is rated for it.

Also, when the coast guard plates are put on, are they stating max powerhead hp, or prop hp?

Thanks!

May vary from state to state, but here in PA they go by the powerhead hp. in regard to the capacity plate.
Best to contact your state fish and boat comm. to get an answer to that.
I have posted about this before, the PA fish and boat comm. gave me this answer!!!
(Q) My boat is rated for 40hp; would I be legal if I put a 60/40 jet on it.
(A) You probably won't have a problem, BUT it would be "up to the discretion of the officer if he wanted to issue a citation"!

SeaArk makes a 1660MV that looks like with a floor and console it has a 60hp rating. Do some homework, I'm sure there are others.

Yeah I've researched a little, still need to do more.

I've read that some boats actually have jet drive hp ratings on the plate, it just depends on the manufacturer.

I really want a 16', but would settle for a 17'. 18' is too big.

You won't have a problem getting a 60/40 on a 16-17' boat. Most dealers won't over power boats for whatever reason. But you've got the right idea when It comes to jets if your not getting the biggest motor you can your doing it wrong.