Solar Eclipse 2024

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is like watching the weather for a planned fishing trip, 10 days out. At first, it looks great, and gradually shifts to not so much. Cloud cover now predicted for any of the areas we could reach. :( Still planning to go, if for nothing to experience the mid day darkness. Not sure what traffic nightmares we will encounter, though.
The girlfriend doesn't want to go because of the traffic getting home. We have seen news stories of it taking 7 hours to go 100 miles after the 2017 eclipse.

The river here is falling as fast as it rose it looks to be do able by Monday. Fishing will still be tough and I imagine there will still be some debris coming down but it's a private boat ramp so it will alleviate concerns of being crowded. We're at like 91% totality here hopefully we get a good show.

The girlfriend doesn't want to go because of the traffic getting home. We have seen news stories of it taking 7 hours to go 100 miles after the 2017 eclipse.
Yep. I've seen those reports too. Also, NYS has had thier electronic signs up on the major N-S routes warning of such. I'm sure it is going to be a $hit show. But, at this point, still planning on braving the crowds.

The river here is falling as fast as it rose it looks to be do able by Monday. Fishing will still be tough and I imagine there will still be some debris coming down but it's a private boat ramp so it will alleviate concerns of being crowded. We're at like 91% totality here hopefully we get a good show.

Yea, rain movved in for our planned Thur/Fri, first outing. We moved it up to Tues/Wed, and will still have to deal with some rain on Wed. Water levels are coming down here, too, but channel cats should be bitting. Maybe get lucky with a few smallies.

Our game plan ended up being, go north to Watertown and then east to Potsdam. About a 3 1/4 Hour drive. The prime locations based on weather, was the Saranac Lake / Lake Placid area, but that was out of our driving range. As it turned out, we did get some cloud cover just before totality, but it was still well worth it. We had considered going another 45 min east to Malone.

We picked a small park in town on the Raquette River. Should have brought some rods. ;) It was not crowded at all and there was plenty of space between groups. Temps were in the low 60's.

For me, it was amazing as it went into full eclipse. The darkness moving in, seeing the corona, the circular sun set, and the needle of light when the sun reappeared. Even my wife was amazed and she is one that doesn't get excited by meteor showers or seeing the Musk string of satalites. I attached some poor pictures.

The travel back was not too bad. We had stop and go traffic on 81S that did add an extra hour to the travel time. Today, we will find out how the post-eclipse, early spring bite goes. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9464.jpg
    IMG_9464.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9465.jpg
    IMG_9465.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9467.jpg
    IMG_9467.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9470.jpg
    IMG_9470.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9472.jpg
    IMG_9472.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 0
If we had gone towards Ft Wayne Indiana, we probably would have been able to see it without too big a crowd.

Went to my camp in Pittsburg NH which was in the path of totality. WHAT A MISTAKE. Drove up Friday as I usually do after work, not much traffic at all! I was excited because that was my biggest concern, but they must have all come in droves on Sat, Sun and Mon. I'd have no idea since I almost never leave the mountain once I get there unless it's snowmobile season. I took Monday off to see the eclipse and waited until about 7:30pm to make the normally 3-1/2 hour trip back to southern NH. Absolute traffic nightmare. The first hour south went ok, then sat in bumper to bumper traffic and moved 4 miles in 2 hours. At 10:30pm I decided to bail out and go back to camp. Slept for a few short hours and left at 6am the next morning where I still encountered a foolish amount of traffic. My buddy told me it took him 11 hours to get home for his normally 3-1/2 hour ride. I'll admit it was a pretty cool event but I'd have been happier if I'd stayed home.