Sportspal and Radison Canoes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pathunter

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a used wide transom 15 foot Sportspal or Radison canoe. Many ads say "no leaks" or "I coat the bottom every year with xxxxx". Are these canoes prone to leakage? Also the Sportspal dealer tells me the difference between the two is that one is riveted the other welded. Supposedly the riveted (Sportspal) is better. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I am surprised, that with all the knowledgeable members on this forum, that no one has offered their input on my question.

I own a Meyers Sportspal S-14. Both Meyers (USA) and Radisson (Canada) make Sportspal canoes, but they are constructed differently. I can confirm the Meyers version is riveted. I don't think the Radisson is welded, but rather seams with screws and a sealant that needs to be redone every so many years.

It is a thinner gauge aluminum compared to a brand like Grumman, but I have yet to have a leak in my 6 years of ownership.

http://www.castlecraft.com/faq_sportspal.htm

All depends on how the boat was taken care of. Yes, rivets can be prone to leaks but easily fixed. Those that are welded are prone to cracks, if small, easy to fix. Both have great reputations, as long as they are taken care of and not abused, I would have no issue with owning one.

All depends on how the boat was taken care of. Yes, rivets can be prone to leaks but easily fixed. Those that are welded are prone to cracks, if small, easy to fix. Both have great reputations, as long as they are taken care of and not abused, I would have no issue with owning one.
I've never had a problem with any riveted boat either. Maybe I would be better buying new and just taking good care of it, $1,800 is a lot of money for a 60# Sportspal though.

I've never had a problem with any riveted boat either. Maybe I would be better buying new and just taking good care of it, $1,800 is a lot of money for a 60# Sportspal though.
They are not cheap to begin with !! Had riveted boats for 60 years, some leak, some don't, some are used hard while have been used easy. Rivets are easy to fix if they do leak.

They are not cheap to begin with !! Had riveted boats for 60 years, some leak, some don't, some are used hard while have been used easy. Rivets are easy to fix if they do leak.
Something to think about. Thank you