Sunglasses!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nathanielrthomas said:
Whatever brand you decide on, I suggest you find a pair you like in store, and the purchase them on Ebay.

I did the same thing and saved some money.

I've had my Costa Del Mar Man O War 580s (green mirror) for a couple years now, and they are second to none. Anyone that says polarized is polarized and Walmart shades are the same as Costas has never been on the water for a long time with both pairs of sunglasses.

Jim said:
Quackrstackr said:
Definitely glass if it is of good optical quality.

I agree, nothing beats glass. But the glasses are heavier.

I can't tell the difference in weight between my WileyX Blink (plastic lense) and my Costa 580s (glass)... if they are heavier, then I'm missing it

In my opinion, costas are as far as you need to look. After buying a pair for a trip to fish sails in guatemala, I"ve been hooked for years now. I broke them once in 8 years and they replaced for half price of retail. My fault,not the glasses,they haven't failed in 5 years now wearing them about 300 days a year. Worth every penny.....last pair you'll pay full price for!!

Thanks for all the responses. I assumed I would get alot of opinions and that the overall view would be you get what you pay for. I just put in an order for the Oakley Straight Jackets black with shallow blue iridium lens. I figure if its good enough for kvd its good enough for me. I wanted the shallow blue which are specific for lakes rivers and streams and of course they are on back order. I have always liked oakley sunglasses (styles, fit, quality) and after trying a few on at the sunglass store I made up my mind. No costas at the store around here and I didn't want to buy some without trying them on first, but Ill have to check them out next time I run across some.

Very good question with great answers. I guess my Walgreen specials may find a drawer to live in very soon. I am a photographer and need my eyes to survive (literally) and wear sunglasses for protection from UV and harsh sunlight.....but I never really thought that my cheepo glasses were not giving me the protection that I need. The added benefit of good polarized/UV coated lenses might make this self proclaimed tightwad look into some better options. Thanks guys!

I wore the Oakley Half Jackets for 5 years. Bought them when I graduated highschool. I replaced the lenses in them once because I abused them and they were very scratched. My girlfriend bought me a pair of the Oakley Flack Jackets this past fall. Both glasses had polarized lenses. The Half Jackets had the Fire Iridium and my Flack Jackets have the Black Iridium.

I had to replace the ear and temple rubber pieces a few times on the Half Jackets. All I did was went to my local sunglass hut and they had replacement sets. The ear pieces, temple pieces, and nose pieces ran like $11.

My Dad wears Costa Del Mars. Not sure what the model is on them but he loves them.

Have you got your glasses yet?

I got a catalog in the mail last night full of stuff that I could use my credit card rewards points on. They had two pair of Maui Jims that I really liked but I was afraid that they would be too small for my head after reading about them on the MJ site. I searched around some more and found that I could also get Oakley Flak Jackets in a fishing specific lens. I'm not sure which of the two lenses they have (they didn's specify but I suspect they are the shallow blue) but I went ahead and ordered them. I figured sunglasses were a better choice than a set of pots and pans or a toaster oven. :lol:

cali27 said:
My buddy has oakley polarized and they look great. I just use strike king polarized glasses and they work just the same. Tried his on last time we were out, i noticed no diffrence other than price.
Monsta White by Strike King - $25
Antix by Oakley - $230
While this is the case for a lot of people, it isn't for me. I have had oakley's and what not since I was young (my dad loves Oakley). When I needed a pair of polarized glasses I bought a cheap pair of Strike Kings. After a couple hours of wearing them I had a terrible headache. I picked up a pair of higher end polarized glasses on clearance from work (originally 200, and my price after employee discount and what not ended up being about $20), and have never had the headaches.

It could have been the polarization process or materials used, or lens shape. I don't know. But I refuse to let cheap sunglasses ruin my day.

Has anyone tried EDGE safety glasses? I work in construction so I wear tinted saftey glasses daily but been meaning to upgrade to polarized. I won't buy pricey ones because I am constantly loosing them. These are the ones I'm thinking about getting and there under $40.

Edge Kazbek Polarized Blue Mirror Lens

Compliance: Compliant with ANSI Z87.1+ 2003 standards and meets U.S. Military Eyewear Ballistic Impact Resistance Requirements - MIL-PRF-31013 clause 3.5.1.1, MIL-V-43511 clause 3.5.10

got a pair of costas an love them ,people with alot of cranial diameter can't wear oakleys because they put a ton of pressure on the temples

one brand that i will stick with are Costa del mar. by far surpass oakley (in my opinion, i've owned both) living in alabama and fishing off the murky tenn. river i would be dead in the water if i didn't bring my costa's ever where i go.

https://www.costadelmar.com/

You guys got me looking.I like the look of the costa del mar "man o war".
Worried abit by ebay as well,this quote at the end of one seller made me laugh.
"These are GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC, if you can prove that they are not authentic, I will refund you 120% of the total including shipping, fly you over to my house and cook you a steak and lobster dinner :)"
Wife might shoot me if I buy a pair,have a bad habit of throwing my glasses overboard:(swatting flies or adjusting hat.
Put them on my hat forget them,fling them off or when motoring they fly off.
Was blue/stiper fishing one day and thought a fish surfaced right next to the boat,casted multiple times in the area,no raises.Wasn't till later that I noticed my glasses were missing....

just ordered me a pair of green and black Costa del mar 580 man o wars!!! i hope they come in by next friday when i go to florida! found them on ebay for $165 free shipping BRAND NEW! it was an ebay store that had 99.9% positive feedback from over 1000 people!

call me paranoid but I refuse to get contacts and stick something in my eye :roll: so I'm stuck using the clip-on style polarized shades. it's better than nothing...

I have been wearing brown polarized arnett and spy glasses for years. Love em. Nice, light weight & tough. The brown tint is light enough to let you see everything yet kill the harsh sun. I have owned real glass Ray Bans and Maui Jims. I thought they were a bit to heavy. Best thing you can do is to try on glasses somewhere before purchasing. There are many things you may not like about glasses such as weight, the way they fit your nose and ears etc. Last thing you want is to shell out a bunch of money for something that gives you a headache.

Zum said:
You guys got me looking.I like the look of the costa del mar "man o war".
Worried abit by ebay as well,this quote at the end of one seller made me laugh.
"These are GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC, if you can prove that they are not authentic, I will refund you 120% of the total including shipping, fly you over to my house and cook you a steak and lobster dinner :)"
Wife might shoot me if I buy a pair,have a bad habit of throwing my glasses overboard:(swatting flies or adjusting hat.
Put them on my hat forget them,fling them off or when motoring they fly off.
Was blue/stiper fishing one day and thought a fish surfaced right next to the boat,casted multiple times in the area,no raises.Wasn't till later that I noticed my glasses were missing....

get you some of these - as long as you keep them around your neck, you'll never lose another pair of sunglasses - and a lot of times you'll forget they are around your neck... https://www.cablz.com/

I have the monofilament version.. not the steel. And the 12" is a lot less extruding from the back of your head than the 14". I can drive and never notice when they hit my headrest in the truck. https://cablz.amazonwebstore.com/Monoz-12-Blue-Monofilament-Eyewear-Holders/M/B002C48SRO.htm

Finally got my sunglasses today! Of course it is rainy and overcast. I did try them on and the fit is amazing. They have rubber on the sides that really hold my head. I think I could scuba dive with these things on! I will update after I take them fishing and hopefully see some sun.

Latest posts