Tell Tale Fitting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JL8Jeff said:
Ok, you made me curious so I had to go in the garage and look at my 40 hp Evinrude. It actually has a metal plug that takes an allen wrench. It's painted along with the block so I can't tell what the material is.

I'm guessing the water passage cover comes standard like that? Leaves the user an option to add a pressure gauge?

I never knew there was an extra fitting on mine until I saw water spewing out of the bottom of my cowling. Thought for sure something was really screwed up. Even though it's been a PITA getting it plugged up, I shouldn't complain.

About a $2 part that screws out and screws back in & wasn't frozen up??? no - you definitely should not complain! 8)

Though this now has me wondering if having the extra fitting is common on outboards - if it is I'd really like to hook up a pressure gauge to mine. How often do you really look @ your tell after you've got the motor started initially? We all know we SHOULD but I know I certainly don't. I'd be much more likely to notice if I had a gauge in front of me that wasn't reading right.

I've got one on mine, and I honestly rarely looked at it. When I did the motor swap, I didn't even bother hooking it up.

When I did my original boat build, I found that the original factory one had been chewed through by a mouse. It was the only significant "Leak" in the boat. I replaced it at that point, but I should have just taken it out and not bothered.

one more thing to fail.

:)

onthewater102 said:
About a $2 part that screws out and screws back in & wasn't frozen up??? no - you definitely should not complain! 8)

Though this now has me wondering if having the extra fitting is common on outboards - if it is I'd really like to hook up a pressure gauge to mine. How often do you really look @ your tell after you've got the motor started initially? We all know we SHOULD but I know I certainly don't. I'd be much more likely to notice if I had a gauge in front of me that wasn't reading right.

True!! Ended up being .76 cents for two (I always order an extra just in case) plus whatever USPS will charge for shipping. Probably another .50 cents. And FYI, these companies mostly deal with large distributors and have minimum order quantities and/or flat shipping rates. In this case that was $9 and some change for UPS to deliver. I called and asked if they had any other options besides UPS to ship me 2 really tiny fittings. They happily said they could ship USPS and save me some money.

I think a pressure gauge is a good idea for reasons you said. But I'm always checking my tell. Just habit I guess. That's how I noticed this problem before the trailer was even back out of the water.

onthewater102 said:

How often do you really look @ your tell after you've got the motor started initially? We all know we SHOULD but I know I certainly don't. I'd be much more likely to notice if I had a gauge in front of me that wasn't reading right.

My overheat module went bad on my Mercury so I watch the telltale all the time. And I rarely run more than 10 minutes upstream before floating back down.

Got my fitting fixed up last night. Depending on how the plastic plug I ordered fits, this may just be a temporary fix.

IMG_20150618_074104_zpsiyvaq2iq.jpg

That may leak a bit around the threads. If you have any epoxy or glue to dip that screw in before putting it in the tubing, then you can stop the leaking.

That type of tubing can be sealed like I mentioned earlier. Just take a lighter and slowly heat the end (keep it an inch or so away from the flame) Until the material just starts to deform. Then just grab a pair of pliers and pinch the end. Immediate seal with no leaking and no glue.

Good luck!

kofkorn said:
That may leak a bit around the threads. If you have any epoxy or glue to dip that screw in before putting it in the tubing, then you can stop the leaking.

That type of tubing can be sealed like I mentioned earlier. Just take a lighter and slowly heat the end (keep it an inch or so away from the flame) Until the material just starts to deform. Then just grab a pair of pliers and pinch the end. Immediate seal with no leaking and no glue.

Good luck!

Thanks!!

Hopefully it won't leak.The tube was heated until soft and then forced onto the barbed fitting and zip tied. The bolt was crammed into the tube with an impact wrench. Probably overkill using a bolt that needed an impact wrench to get into the tube, but it made a nice tight fit. I cut the head of the bolt off because it had a pressed on washer. Don't think a steel washer constantly banging against the aluminum of the motor would be good.

Also I took a caliper to the old and new brass fitting. The brass is definitely bigger. IIRC the old measured something like .422 and the new was close to .445.

Guys!

1/8" MIP???

Doesn't he need the 1/8 NPT male fitting?????

Go to www.McMaster.com for the plastic fitting.

CMOS

CMOS said:
Guys!

1/8" MIP???

Doesn't he need the 1/8 NPT male fitting?????

MIP and NPT are the same thing:

American National Pipe - NPT/NPS
Hydraulics Plumbing Pipe Process Thread Specs
American National pipe (NPT, NPS), Like British Standard Pipe (BSP), is designated by trade size, rather than actual diameter, as shown in the table below.

There are two basic types of National pipe threads:

NPT: National Pipe Taper
NPS: National Pipe Straight
NPT threads are also sometimes referred to as

MIP (Male Iron Pipe)
FIP (Female Iron Pipe)
IPT (Iron Pipe Thread)
FPT (Female Pipe Thread)
MPT (Male Pipe Thread)

Latest posts